The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still working out the list of what is wrong with the new car.

I was checking out the console fan switch. Low and med work fine. On the high setting the fans go back to slow speed. High speed is usually not the problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fan speed fixed.

At some point a past owner disconnected the vacuum control line in the right side of the engine bay. Connected it back up and it all works. If it wasn't for replacing the broken fuel vent pipes I would never have found it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Typically, a 3 speed fan has two sets of coils on the rotor. Low and medium. High is power supplied to both. So it sounds like the switch itself is powering only low when you're on high. Probably the switch itself is the problem - dirt or corrosion on the contacts maybe.

I still have to replace the vent pipe on mine. Getting tired of smelling fuel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the high fan speed back when the vac controls were hooked back up. Not sure how it happened, but it works.

Checked the a/c system with a vacuum test and I should be charging the system this week.

Still working out the bosch injection system.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What problems are you having with the FI system? I owned an '86 Esprit for a long time so I might be able to help.
The car bogs down if the pedal is pushed too fast or too far. The engine stumbles and revives if you let back off the pedal. Cold engine runs better. The warmer the engine gets the more it will bog down. The cold start works fine and the engine idle steps down as the engine warms up.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
The car bogs down if the pedal is pushed too fast or too far. The engine stumbles and revives if you let back off the pedal. Cold engine runs better. The warmer the engine gets the more it will bog down. The cold start works fine and the engine idle steps down as the engine warms up.
That sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem as in too little fuel causing a lean situation when the engine is warm. First of all, do not run the engine into boost while it is running this way or you could cause severe damage to it (lean under boost = severe detonation). The first thing to check is your fuel filters for clogging. Once you have verified the filters are clean, check the fuel pressure at the main feed line to the fuel distributor. If it is too low, check the pressure regulator and your fuel pump for the proper pressure and output. If everything checks out OK at this point, you need to check the fuel pressures at the fuel distributor as per the shop manual. Do you have the Lotus shop manual for your Esprit? If not, I can check my old Esprit manual for the full diagnostics on your running condition.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the manual and expect a visit from a mechanic in the next two weeks to help sort out the problem. I am trying to learn the system and do what I can tell I learn more. Tracking other problems right now, electrical.
thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts