The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a local upholstery place to do my seats and teardrops with (mainly) fabric from Relicate, and got the center console parts painted the exterior color. Really happy with the results, even though it took forever. Also put in the Mishimoto sandwich plate and an oil temp gauge. So happy to be driving again! :D

Shifter and E-brake boot coming soon.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Hood

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the appreciation!

The seats are super comfy. I feel like I could sit for hours and hours with no problem.

@palmer.jeff428
I love the look of that Esprit! Has such class.
The upholstery cost $3900. Was more than I wanted to pay, but the original hard seats with the sharp transition to the lumbar support bladder on the back meant I was throwing in a pillow every time I drove. It wasn't sustainable.

@Crazy05
I kinda copied you... I wanted a plaid/tartan fabric, and when I came across your upholstery post, I knew it would look good. I actually looked really hard for other orange tartans, but nothing else was available in small quantities.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Thanks for all the appreciation!

The seats are super comfy. I feel like I could sit for hours and hours with no problem.

@palmer.jeff428
I love the look of that Esprit! Has such class.
The upholstery cost $3900. Was more than I wanted to pay, but the original hard seats with the sharp transition to the lumbar support bladder on the back meant I was throwing in a pillow every time I drove. It wasn't sustainable.

@Crazy05
I kinda copied you... I wanted a plaid/tartan fabric, and when I came across your upholstery post, I knew it would look good. I actually looked really hard for other orange tartans, but nothing else was available in small quantities.
That's awesome, I am flattered that you decided to go the same direction. It's cool to see another chromeorange car with the tartan. I think our layout is different as my orange thick stripes are horizontal And yours vertical. I love how you incorporated the alcantera And orange thread, looks fantastic !!!!

Reactions: Flopsy and EdQ

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
42 Posts
@Flopsy Did you have to specify the foam type and did you provide the fabric to the upholstery place? There's an upholsterer near me but I want to make sure that if they actually replace the foam/fabric I can road trip my Elise. It's the last stock+ component I need before I go cross-country!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Flopsy Did you have to specify the foam type and did you provide the fabric to the upholstery place?
The way this is handled probably depends a lot on which shop you go to.

The shop I used was very old school. Didn't even have a website. I had a lot of discussions with the guy about fabrics and how I'd like things lined up, etc.

I bought the tartan fabric myself and brought it to them once the shop told me the amount to order. I told him generally how I wanted the seats to be padded. After I had the seats there, he figured out the right foam that would fit and make sense, and had me sit down on it to test it out.

·
Registered
Bordeaux Red Pearl 2005 Elise
136 Posts
I bought the tartan fabric myself and brought it to them once the shop told me the amount to order. I told him generally how I wanted the seats to be padded. After I had the seats there, he figured out the right foam that would fit and make sense, and had me sit down on it to test it out.
Just curious, is the tartan fabric poly viscose or wool? I assume PV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a local upholstery place to do my seats and teardrops with (mainly) fabric from Relicate, and got the center console parts painted the exterior color. Really happy with the results, even though it took forever. Also put in the Mishimoto sandwich plate and an oil temp gauge. So happy to be driving again! :D

Shifter and E-brake boot coming soon.

View attachment 1318546
That looks fantastic !!!!!

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
42 Posts
The way this is handled probably depends a lot on which shop you go to.

The shop I used was very old school. Didn't even have a website. I had a lot of discussions with the guy about fabrics and how I'd like things lined up, etc.

Yeah sounds like it's time to just bite the bullet and start talking to someone :)
Looks fantastic regardless!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts