The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to OneFastLotus for pointing me to this site. I'm considering getting a Lotus Elise to use as a promotional tool for my business, and my concerns were about interior room. Using the car to promoting the business would require plenty of seat time, and my questions are 1) how is the room on the passenger side of the cabin and 2) how much room is there in the footwell for somebody with clown like feet such as myself?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Welcome to the board. The passenger side seat is smaller than the driver's seat. Two regular sized adults will be rubbing shoulders and elbows. There is a bar in the footwell on the right side that is the passenger footrest. The pedals are fairly close, but many of us with larger feet have done OK, as long as we don't wear Tennis shoes.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Lessgas said:
Babak, do you happen to know the general height limit to fit comfortably in an Elise?
I'm 6ft stocky 240lbs, and I fit comfortably. People as tall as 6'3" (if not more) have commented here that they fit OK. Many threads here about this issue.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
babak said:
The passenger side seat is smaller than the driver's seat. Two regular sized adults will be rubbing shoulders and elbows.
Actually the seats are the same size. The passenger's seat is offset a bit the right and doesn't slide (it's fixed in position). The driver and passenger will be rubbing shoulders...

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Hi Lessgas, I think you'll find this forum MUCH better. :)

babak, the seats are the same size Im pretty sure. Ive never measured, but they seem the same to me.

My husband is 6'3 @240 and fits fine, even with a helmet.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
TimMullen said:
Actually the seats are the same size. The passenger's seat is offset a bit the right and doesn't slide (it's fixed in position). The driver and passenger will be rubbing shoulders...
Hmm....I was under the impression that the passenger seat was a little smaller.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
The seat is the same size, but the passenger still has less room due to the mounting location of both the seat and the center tunnel. Don't have my car yet, but that is what I understand.

If you want to be able to rest your left foot on the dead pedal when not shifting and be able to use the brake/throttle comfortably, your shoes should be about 4.5" wide. Too much bigger than that and you will probably won't be able to use the dead pedal. This means you should get some narrow shoes to drive it.

There is one possible adjustment in the form of the brake pedal pad, that can be adjusted slightly to the left, giving you more room for your right foot. But I would definitely considering the 4.5" measurement as well.

Depending your customer base, passengers may or may not enjoy a ride in the Elise. It's noisy, rocks ping underneath the floor, and you have to comfortable with your driver (proximity). Mini drivers might find it cool, but Prius owners may not. However the tax benefits of buying an Elise with your business cannot be denied. :up:

·
Registered
130 Posts
The Elise is probably not the best car for driving around customers or business associates, unless they are car buffs. Entry and exit is a learned process. Some people have even needed help getting out of mine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is not the car to buy for driving around business prospects or customers!

It's kinda like a dog. You may love your own dog passionatley and enjoy when he jumps up on you but believe me...your guests don't! You may love your Elise but I couldn't imagine business associates climbing in and out of the passenger side. I do not think they would enjoy it. Then again, what do I know, I haven't had my hardtop off yet!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I'm 6'5" and fit fine (sort of). To make more room for big feet, I've removed the dead pedal on the driver's side and the foot rest on the passenger's side.

I also took off the visors and am in the process of getting a new seat that's a bit wider.

"If you want to fit, you do."

--Joe

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Lessgas, I'm 6'-4" and fit fine in the car, but as others have said entry and exit are rather ungraceful. It might not be a very good car for client purposes, some may find it rather difficult to deal with.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
fish said:
This is not the car to buy for driving around business prospects or customers!

It's kinda like a dog. You may love your own dog passionatley and enjoy when he jumps up on you but believe me...your guests don't! You may love your Elise but I couldn't imagine business associates climbing in and out of the passenger side. I do not think they would enjoy it. Then again, what do I know, I haven't had my hardtop off yet!
Great analogy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, alot of great info on the Elise. OneFast Lotus was right, this forum is much better for my questions. I was originally planning on getting the Elise to promote the business with because it is so eye catching and because I could use it for autocrosses and track day (another oppurtunity for promotion, ever the business man). But I think all of you are right, potential clients could find it very uncomfortable. My other choice for the business was a Mini Cooper S, which should fit the bill just fine. But that won't stop me from seeking out an Elise, even if it's a personal use toy (the best kind of course).

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
But that won't stop me from seeking out an Elise, even if it's a personal use toy (the best kind of course).
Less,

I like the way you think. Get both cars!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts