The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i've never sat in an Elise, i'm simply guessing on this one.

but in the passenger side space, it seems as though that part that juts up is for the passengers feet.

Now, it looks like there is some space behind that raised area, and what front-engined cars would normally call the "firewall".

How big is this space? Is it large enough to put items back there? What if someone designed a nice, ballistic nylon bag that was form-fit to that area, that you could easily lift out?

Thanks to GotApex for the picture i stole: ;)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I stored my shoes there on test drives:D It's adjustable with velcro I believe (at least in the 111S). It looks to be set all the way back in that photo, but to answer your question, you CAN store a small bag in that area or a subwoofer- especially since the passenger seat will be fixed in it's furthest back position.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I thought I saw a locking built-in aluminum box for that area on a website. I could not ever find a source. I would like a locking area for things I didn't want stolen like a radar detector.

I wouldn't be hard to produce and I think aluminum would be best. Steel would be to heavy and most plastics would be to easy to break into. Obviously, nothing would stop a determined thief but something that would stop someone acting quick with a screwdriver woould be nice.

Greg

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Racer X said:
I would like a locking area for things I didn't want stolen like a radar detector.
Rest assured, there are certain engineers on this message board with the means and plans to design & build such items once their car arrives. ;)

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
_JD_ said:
I stored my shoes there on test drives:D It's adjustable with velcro I believe (at least in the 111S). It looks to be set all the way back in that photo, but to answer your question, you CAN store a small bag in that area or a subwoofer- especially since the passenger seat will be fixed in it's furthest back position.
what is adjustable with velcro ... the "footrest" deal?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
ace3 said:
what is adjustable with velcro ... the "footrest" deal?
IIRC the triangular deal w/ holes is adjustable w/ velcro fore and aft.
btw- when I said "set all the way back" I meant set away from the seat all the way back. There's a pretty handy amount of room in that space.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I guess it depends on how tall you are. My wife is 5'-11" and mostly legs, and I know she was putting her feet past the first brace and onto the fire wall. She put her big Coach backpack/purse thing under her knees.

BTW - Among other things, we're working on fitted luggage. The first round came in too conservative, so they're playing with materials to do something more fun.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
_JD_ said:
IIRC the triangular deal w/ holes is adjustable w/ velcro fore and aft.
btw- when I said "set all the way back" I meant set away from the seat all the way back. There's a pretty handy amount of room in that space.
that's what i thought you were talking about, but isn't that pretty odd? I would assume a passenger to be jamming his feet against that "footrest" if they were on a roadcourse, diving down into a hard turn. i'd imagine that velcro would just let loose.

but, i suppose we'll all find out for sure shortly. :D

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Robert Puertas said:
I guess it depends on how tall you are. My wife is 5'-11" and mostly legs, and I know she was putting her feet past the first brace and onto the fire wall. She put her big Coach backpack/purse thing under her knees.

BTW - Among other things, we're working on fitted luggage. The first round came in too conservative, so they're playing with materials to do something more fun.
Fitted luggage would be absolutely fantastic. My buddies mom is a designer, and we had briefly chatted about coming up with some nice-quality leather goods that would be matched to go in whatever space the elise had available.

Maybe we could bounce a few ideas off of each other sometime?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
ace3 said:
I'd imagine that Velcro would just let loose.
But if it's done right, the Velcro would be in shear, and Velcro grips very tightly in shear...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I feel for you guys that have yet to sit in an Elise!

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Derek said:
Yeah it shows real dedication to the cause... But I wonder how many will back out when they actually get to put one on?
I think only a small percentage. Most people are not going to be disappointed and the common remarks you hear is "it fits like a glove" or "you wear it."

A small number may see reality that this is not a luxo cruiser with burlwood dash and no cupholders. They climb in and it's an acrobat maneuver, specially your first time. A stranger plops into the passenger seat and you both knock elbows. At this point, the few that are not grinning ear-to-ear, may drop out.

But a very small number.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What...no burlwood dash?!!! Ugggh, anyone want my place in line? :)

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TimMullen said:
But if it's done right, the Velcro would be in shear, and Velcro grips very tightly in shear...

Tim Mullen
true, but if you pushed on it from the top, wouldn't it just fall over? i understand if you pushed from the bottom, it would be as a shear & wouldn't come loose.

oh well. i suppose we'll find out when the time comes. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Randy Chase said:
A small number may see reality that this is not a luxo cruiser with burlwood dash and no cupholders.
After I close on a house, I could probably make custom burlwood dashes for anyone who wants them. I could also make some nice wood-framed hammock seats with a cupholder in one of the arms so you could sit in the car and enjoy the sun like it was a day at the beach. With some outside help (Shinoo?) maybe we could come up with panels for the outside to make an Elise "woodie" custom car. :p

·
Registered
216 Posts
Photos of box attached (4 separately - excuse me but I am technologically challenged !!) A guy in UK made this, and as you can see, relatively easy to do. Need to bolt it down though, otherwise why have a lock on it !! And of course you then need to devise a method for reaching into the box, other than with 2 legs waving in the air !!

Also don't forget that is where the heat comes out so assuming your Lotus heater is capable of reaching the required temps :)D ), your chocolate might melt !!

In the S1 of course we have a concave dashboard instead of that horrible (IMHO) alcantara which peels etc, and I have a self designed dash bag that fits in the concave space making it suitable for storage of everything from sunglasses and mobile phones to maps and everything else. Perfect.
Giles

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts