The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got new disc noirs and pagid rs14 ~1000 miles ago. Haven't really used them hard yet, because everything I've read was to let the rotors heat cycle. So I figure now would be a good time to start bedding them in since it has been a few driving cycles. I was driving around for a few hours, so the rotors were up to a uniform temp throughout(I thought), got on the highway, brought up ~100, and got on the brakes. No abs, not too hard, but with enough force to feel some proper deceleration. During this, I feel an almost violent shake from what feels to be from the rear(wheels). I'm terrified of ****ing up a new set of pads/rotors, so I didn't do it again. I slow to get off the highway, and all is smooth. I don't know anything more.

Under light braking, there is the expected squeal. And sometimes, they moan. Not sure about the moan, but figure its a tadts for these pads. I also feel a light grinding through the brake pedal under light/medium braking, but also assume this is tadts from a more aggressive pad.

If it is relevant. The rotors are now cool, and running my finger from the hub-out is super smooth(all four rotors). No specific areas of discoloration.

I'm in a rush and will be back later, but if anyone can ask the right questions, or fill me, it's greatly appreciated

And for the record. Amazing brakes. World of difference from stock.

Brake service was performed by a good lotus dealer.

search words: Pagid rs14 sector111 disc noir moan brake discnoir brake bed bedding

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
The vibration/judder is caused by pad material transfer -- RS14's are notorious for this -- they must be bedded in properly before any hard usage.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I had the same thing happen when I switched from my stock pads to RS4-2-1 in the front and RS4-2 in the rear.
After the install I went to bedding them in. About 5 stops 45mph to 5 with medium pressure, then 10 from 80 to 5 on the verge of the ABS kicking in.
After that I thought I was done and parked the car.
The next day I went to PIR for a track day.
And during the third or fourth lap my steering wheel all of a sudden started shaking under braking.
First I thought I screwed something up during the install, even though this would be hard to do and I could not think of anything that could have potentially gone wrong.
So I took it a little slower and was on the brake rather early just in case.
The shudder lasted for a few laps and then completely went away...
So I guess that's just what it feels like when you're bedding them in...:shrug:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what is the recommended course of action? Do I need to do anything special to restart the bedding process, or just do what Mr. C did?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts