The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Elise, 11k miles.
Very intermittent. It either starts immediately or will not start at all. Always turns over.

If I pound the plastic cover behind the drivers seat it starts. Loose connector? Anyone know which one or what it's doing?

It's not a pump priming problem. I make sure the immobilizer is OFF before inserting the key and turning. I'm pretty sure I hear the fuel pump coming on.

Just acts like theirs no ignition. At first I thought the immobilizer was faulty, (not sure but I'm guessing it cuts ignition).

I vaguely remember a post about a loose connector behind the drivers seat having similar symptoms.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
The immobilizer interrupts the fuel pump and starter circuits, not the ignition.
Michael
2005 Elise, 11k miles.
Very intermittent. It either starts immediately or will not start at all. Always turns over.

If I pound the plastic cover behind the drivers seat it starts. Loose connector? Anyone know which one or what it's doing?

It's not a pump priming problem. I make sure the immobilizer is OFF before inserting the key and turning. I'm pretty sure I hear the fuel pump coming on.

Just acts like theirs no ignition. At first I thought the immobilizer was faulty, (not sure but I'm guessing it cuts ignition).

I vaguely remember a post about a loose connector behind the drivers seat having similar symptoms.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The ECU is behind the driver's seat. Maybe it is a loose connection.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Check the "Multi Function Relay Unit" mounted to the right & below of the engine bay fuses. There is a history of the connector plug on the bottom developing corroded contacts. It is the unit with the blue base.
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If I pound the plastic cover behind the drivers seat it starts.
I'm just curious as to how you found this solution. Not the first thing I would have thought to try!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I'll imagine frustration was involved...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Not really sure where I saw this but yeah there was also a lot frustration involved.

This has happened to me 4 times in the last two weeks. Can someone help me narrow down the problem knowing that the failure only occurs when trying to start the car, it's never stopped running. Which of the items listed is only involved with starting the engine? ECU, MFUR, (any other connectors back there?)

I also don't think I pounded hard enough to effect the other side of the firewall, I think it has to be just inside the plastic behind the drivers seat.

Thanks for your help.
Gary

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Where exactly behind the driver's seat are you pounding? If we knew that it may help pinpoint the part or connection that is failing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where exactly behind the driver's seat are you pounding? If we knew that it may help pinpoint the part or connection that is failing.
It hasn't happened in a few days. When it happens again, I'll try a single spot at a time until it starts. I pounded on the top of the shelf and just above the shelf directly behind the drivers seat.
Thanks guys.
Gary

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
The most obvious item is the immobilizer, which is exactly where you indicate you hit. The only thing is that the immobilizer only controls the starter circuit and the fuel pump. You indicate that the starter is operating and you believe the fuel pump is priming, you might want to check that to be sure.
Michael
It hasn't happened in a few days. When it happens again, I'll try a single spot at a time until it starts. I pounded on the top of the shelf and just above the shelf directly behind the drivers seat.
Thanks guys.
Gary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts