The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did quite a bit of searching on the forum, but didn't find a problem quite the same as mine.

Sometimes (less than 15% of the time), if I am at a full stop, I will put the clutch pedal fully in, and attempt to shift to 1st, but the shift lever will not go into the 1st slot at all.

When that happens, I've found that I can get into 1st by either going back to neutral, letting go of the clutch pedal, putting the clutch pedal back in, and then selecting 1st.

The second workaround I've found is that if I try to slide the gear stick into the 1st position and it doesn't go, I will slide it into the 2nd gear position, then slide it back to 1st and it will go in successfully.

1st is the only gear where I have this problem. It only happens at a full stop, and it happens less than 15% of the time.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
does pumping clutch pedal a few times help?

when was brake/clutch fluid last changed? and bled?

does car or ambient temperature change the behavior?

what lube used in trans and how old is it?

These are easy to check and are normal maintenance (i.e. need to be done anyway), so start there and see if you find improvement.

If not, things can get a bit more complicated...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does pumping clutch pedal a few times help?

when was brake/clutch fluid last changed? and bled?

does car or ambient temperature change the behavior?

what lube used in trans and how old is it?

These are easy to check and are normal maintenance (i.e. need to be done anyway), so start there and see if you find improvement.

If not, things can get a bit more complicated...
1. Haven't tried that.
2. Just bought the car a month ago, and the brake/clutch fluid is dark. I am changing it this weekend.
3. Not that I have noticed
4. I have Sector 111's transelixir in there; installed about a week. This issue was happening before, and continues afterward.

Its not a common issue, and easy to workaround, so I'm not particularly worried, but still would be nice to fix :D

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the issue crop up once during my drive in to work today. Found that if I slowly released the clutch pedal while the shifter was refusing to go into 1st that it would then smoothly pop into the 1st gear position. Very odd.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Many Elise and Exiges do this. We don't know why.

But, don't force the shifter if you can't place it into 1st gear.

Instead, take a second to shift down into second gear, and then shift up into first.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is a non-issue. Well, anything can be an issue, but what you are describing has been normal as long as manual gearboxes have been around. Don't spend an extra penny or sweat over it - unless you smell smoke, see flame, or hear what sounds like a blender chewing ice cubes. In 40 years of driving manual transmission cars, I haven't had one that doesn't occasionally "bump" going for first. Forcing it will eventually bend something.

As I recall being taught by my father many years ago, when you come to a full stop in a car with a manual gearbox, always go to second, then first. Unless you have a major problem, it works (as you've already stated), it takes no extra time, and causes no extra wear and tear. Sometimes, it's reverse that doesn't mesh smoothly - simply do first, then reverse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts