The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
QUestion.

A local kid, age 19 or 20 has been a thorn in the side of our local forum for about a year now. I own the local forum. Constantly pushing buttons, causing trouble etc. My husband actually even talked to the kid on the phone and tried to talk some sense into him and explain why he was catching so much slack and how his antics werent appreciated. Finally last week he pulled another stunt and our moderator staff decided it was time to ban him.

This person also cant seem to get along on ANY local forum he's o and has been BANNED before. So, to get back at the forum who banned him he created a webpage where he puts up comments from website owners and users that he's pissed off. He finds this funny. The more you email or argue him and try and talk to him, the more he puts up on his site, and the funnier it is to him. Lots of local people know about his site...including alot of unsavory character's who frequent the local boards causing trouble.

After we banned him someone called me up and said "jenn" you need to look at his site. I went there and found that he added a NEW section for MY forum and had my HOME ADRESS, HOME PHONE NUMBER, CELL PHONE NUMBER, BUSINESS EMAIL, MY PICTURE, MY HUSBANDS PICTURE, MY HUSBANDS WORK ADDY, and a Satellite map to our house. '

I was LIVID. A friend of ours managed to track down this guys cell phone and ask him to take it down before something really bad happened, so he did. It was only up about an hour or so. After he took down our personal information he put back in it's place screen shots of all the PM"s my husband has sent him asking him to leave our board. We also have a chatroom which this person comes into each night, harassing me.

So I ask. Do I have ANY legal recourse? Can someone just put ALL your personal information on their homepage which is frequented by deadbeats? Our home addy is not know by many people, frankly Im not sure how he got it. I didnt get a screen shot of the information but I have at least 5 witnesses to it AND I saw it too.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Do you know who his internet provider is?

You can contact them and file a complaint. Usually it's [email protected] aol.com or something similar.

PS> Its never a good idea to put your personal info on the web. However, some of this stuff is easily obtainable.
The county website in Florida givers all types of info. You can get copies of marriage and divorce agreements, sales prices of homes, and even a layout of what the floorplan of a persons house looks like if you know where to look.

I was able to find your husbands cell #. I would never post it but 742 are the last 3 numbers, to prove to you that anything is so possible to find so dont piss me off :D

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Have you contacted his parents? How about the police? They might construe his actions as a threat. Probably not, but you never know. Never hurts to ask, and might put the scare into him.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,638 Posts
It sounds like everything that he posted about you is readily available in the public domain. Heck, with a trip to your local tax office I could probably find even more personal information about you. If someone wants your address, there are many, very legal ways to get it. Same with your phone number. You picture is probably already on the Internet in many other places.

Don't sweat it. If people want to find information about you, they're gonna do it regardless of whether some punk kid puts it on his web page.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If you have a listed phone number then sites like switchboard.com will readily give your phone number and address to anyone who plugs your name and city into a search. From there you can easily find your house on satellite image sites.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yes, it's all readily available. Still, posting it all in one place (with photos, work info, etc.) on a hostile site could easily be interpreted as an implicit threat, or an attempt to incite violence. I think it's worth pursuing.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our home number isnt listed. Never has been. Very few people locally know where we live. Our web board has about 5,000 members, many are young and punk. We value our privacy if ya know what I mean.

The cell thing doesnt bother me as much, it was the home addy, the home phone etc.

I guess, like pin said, that posting it on a hostile webboard seems like a threat to me. It was clearly there to tell thugs and such..hey here's where jenn lives with her lotus and other cars....go have at it. Also my work information and my husbands work info. The funny part is I dont work there as of two months ago, but I used to host mornings and had to get to work in the dark at 5am. He still thinks I work there. Posting someones work info and schedule isnt cool IMHO unless you're looking to get them jumped/raped/attacked or fired.

I mean, can I just rent a billboard and give Randy Chase's home address and phone number and put at the bottom ( he has nice cars in the drive) and its legal just because somewhere out there all that information is available anyway?

Just out of curiosity xxotic, how did you find my husbands cell? The kid had our cell # but only because we had called him from it.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
If there was any clear threat communicated via the webpage, I believe the police would help you. Otherwise, I don't think there's much you can do, other than harass him in return (but that'll only encourage him).

You could try complaining to the company hosting his webpage.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pinmagic said:
Again, where are his parents? Is he living on his own?
His dad is a dentist. They moved him into his own house.. Im wondering if they didnt do that for a reason. I guess I could talk to his dad? I dont know how I'd be recieved.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
OneFastLotus said:
His dad is a dentist. They moved him into his own house.. Im wondering if they didnt do that for a reason. I guess I could talk to his dad? I dont know how I'd be recieved.
Almost doesn't matter...if the dad sides with you, the kid will be even more ticked off at you. I don't think there's anything to gain there.

Here's an idea - he posted your address for the world to see, do the same to him (similar to what was done to that Spam King not so long ago). Don't just make a webpage though, be more creative. Go back to the forum he was banned from, and post a thread explaining your story. Include the guy's address and phone number, and encourage people to contact him if they feel he's out of line. Don't get too specific about how people should use the guy's address & phone number, you don't want this coming back to bite you. What you would hope for in a case like this is that the readers of that forum would then flood this guy with junk mail, spam, phone calls, etc, and totally harass him. I don't think you'd be doing anything different than what he's doing. Just document his site (print it? videotape it?) first, just in case you need that evidence.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
OneFastLotus said:
Usually with these types of kids, the problem lies with the parents....so,it probably won't do any good to contact the father. If the father really cared and had time for the kid,he would have spanked his a** a long time ago instead of condoning this behavior.

What you can do? Stick to your guns and keep him banned from the site. Try to protect your privacy as much as possible. Remove personal information as much as possible from public sites(ex. web super pages and such). He will eventually get bored and go away. I wouldn't do anything to feed into his behavior. Just protect yourself the best you can.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
MattG said:
Here's an idea - he posted your address for the world to see, do the same to him
That's not a good idea, unless you like problems. That will just cause things to escalate.:no:

Call the local police (better yet, visit the local station) and talk to them. You may have a case of harassment. It might even be possible to get some kind of restraining order. You might also get no where, but in this day and age, the police might be interested.

If you don't get anywhere with the police, you might consider discussing it with a local attorney to see if something can be done.

But as other's have indicated, you might try talking to his parents if they are still supporting him. You don't have much to loose at this point. But whatever you do, don't get into a "tit-for-tat" match with him - you probably have more to loose from someone who knows where you live...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Another option is just to ignore him, act as if whatever he does doesn't matter to you, eventually he'll get tired of it and will find another victim to harass,

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
darwid said:
Another option is just to ignore him, act as if whatever he does doesn't matter to you, eventually he'll get tired of it and will find another victim to harass,
Also very good advice...:bow:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
darwid said:
I also think that this is the best approach BUT if he doesn't go away or makes things more difficult for you,it would be wise to be somewhat proactive.

42 states now have electronic harrassment laws. I think I saw in your post that youre from Kentucky. I couldn't find one specific to Kentucky but they are not listed under states not having these laws. This is usually handled through regional or local officials anyway, so a proactive strategy would be wise.

1) cease all communication and keep a copy of all messages and related(ex. his web site)
2) file a complaint with the offenders' ISP provider.
3) Get help from WHO or NCVC or Cyberangels.
4) Establish a paper trail. Document. Document. Document.
4) File an harassment report at the police dept.(expecially helpful if he is in the same jurisdiction as you)
5) Save all messages
6) Save all recorded messages(if any)
7) Keep all copies out of the house

At the best....he will go away. At the worst......if he's really out of control, he can be prosecuted. Your personal information is private. No one has the right to willfully publish this on the internet with the intent to harm you. This is not freedom of speech and therefore is not covered under the First Amendment.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
OneFastLotus said:
Thanks everyone! I do appreciate the advice!
You're quite welcome and I wish you the best! :up:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts