The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Sergio. I’m in Tennessee. Lost my father to the tail of dragon in 2005 - David. I was on the bike with him. The article is on this website. Looking for lost info as I can’t remember any of the crash and it was ruled as an accident, which is incorrect

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
283 Posts
welcome to the forum... mind if i ask why you say that it wasn't an accident?
Someone could have ran them off the road. No accident on behalf of the rider, but negligence or malice on the driver of the vehicle.

"2005 - Three deaths: All three deaths involved failing to negociate (sic) corners - two went off the mountain and one slid into an oncoming vehicle."

PM me the last name if you like and I can do some digging.

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
125 Posts
Do you have access to the paint anymore? CSI taught me you may be able to figure out what kind of paint and what it was from.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
283 Posts
Unfortunately there is more than likely a statute of limitations, not sure what exactly this would be considered, more than likely manslaughter or maybe more if there was direct negligence on the side of the driver of the vehicle. There are a couple scenarios that could have played out and they all suck. 1 could have been a older person driving and not even known they bumped you and your father off the road and kept going. Another is an enraged driver that bumped or collided with you on purpose and kept driving. If the police would have done their job and gave you some sort of interview maybe they could have fished some information from you, but i read in a report that they did not question you for some reason, so they goofed up there big time. I believe at this stage in the game it would take someone confessing to the horrible crime for it to come to light. That person may not have even known what the end results were. Paint samples are good but all this time later? The car was probably sold 10 times and sitting in a dump right now rusting away.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Paint sample will only tell you the make, model, and maybe year, but it won't tell you who was driving, what the VIN was, or when they crossed paths. Heck, I was sitting inside my car, had a car back into me, and then they claimed the crack they caused was pre-existing. Without them straight admitting to it, there was no proof in the legal sense. Even the two witnesses were discounted because they knew me. If someone was really responsible and fled, it would be trivial for them to claim it was a parking lot incident or that they weren't driving at the time and don't know what happened. But that's assuming you can narrow down all the possible red cars in the country to one specific one at that specific time.

I can't imagine what you've been through, but unless there's a missing piece that hasn't been brought up in these threads, I don't see how this can possibly get anywhere productive. Along those lines, is there a reason you picked this forum of all places? Do you know some reason to suspect a Lotus owner specifically has that info?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses. I don’t have access to the bike at all, mother sold it. I was physically not stable/conscious enough to interview at the time. Mother had other stuff to worry about I guess. I found this website via the report about the accident - that’s the most info I have about the crash. My intent was taking all chances to learn more info about this - it’s been hard to find closure and truly move on because it still seems it didn’t happen because I don’t remember that day or a couple days after which I was in the hospital.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
Hello Sworkman611.

I am very sorry to hear about your experience and loss of your father up there.

I am a local to 129 and have been going up there since the mid 80s. I have many times gone up and seen some of the saddest scenarios of some group who came together as a group and driving home in a missing man or even missing men formation.

It is for this reason I don't ever go up there on the weekends. It is scary enough during the week because even though I stay basically on the far shoulder of the road the entire drive, I will encounter more than one person traveling well past their limits in my lane... Weekends it is like a county fair. Just too popular, too dangerous.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts