The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found the site while looking for information relative to purchasing a NEW Evora. I had not really considered it in the past until I saw one while looking at the AM Vantage AMR (with manual, obviously). At the time, I had been contemplating a lease on the AMR but the money factor came from someone who spent too much time smoking SOMETHING. Suffice it to say, I put the decision on hold, especially with the pandemic nonsense having hit soon afterwards.

The Lotus still kept ticking in the back of my mind and I have now driven it and even gotten the quote to add it to the policy...or should I say, learned where some of my other vehicles would be moving since Liberty Mutual was having problems finding the Evora in their database for pricing purposes.

BUT...neither one on the floor are EXACTLY what I wanted. I've since had confirmation that orders are now being taken for the MY21 Evora's and that no price increases are planned. This leads to the question of how much, if any, discount from MSRP should I expect, either on a vehicle I 'settle' for versus a spec'ed order? For those who have ordered their Evora to spec, how much of a down payment did your selling dealership require?

I've been impressed by the email follow-up from Lotus...had sent an inquiry and got multiple replies very quickly and the follow-up queries ALSO saw a very prompt turnaround. They confirmed that the orders are being taken and suggest that I would be able to anticipate delivery well before Thanksgiving, with some of the time being driven by specific optioning.

As to a bit more about me...preference is for something that came equipped with three pedals. Three Jaguars in the garage right now, two of which allow me to shift my own gears (X-Type and F-Type). The XK8 was inherited and is the standard J-gate automatic box. One of the other two vehicles also come with three pedals ('91 Miata Special Edition). Ordinarily, I buy and keep for a long time, but have considered selling/trading the F-Type if I get the Evora. The XK8 has about 185K miles, the X-Type just rolled over 170K and even the F-Type that I bought new is pushing 50K miles. Don't ask what I have on the Miata since the odometer quit about 15 years ago at a point north of 200K miles LOL!

I don't, as you can tell, acquire vehicles to let them just sit in the garage...they are meant to be driven and I try to get seat time in all of them on a regular basis. The experiences I have had with Jaguar leave me with a modicum of confidence that Lotus will also have distanced itself from the days of the electrical gremlins that would cause one to either go insane or pay regular homage to Lucas, Prince of Darkness. Reading some of the posts here and elsewhere, the Evora does NOT seem to be something that could not be used for a daily commute or even a road trip, although a passenger could be driven crazy by engine droning...what can I say- I have people who don't always appreciate such things.

The dealership I was talking to has offered to snag something from the port and add pieces that I wanted, but I am ALSO one of those owners who keeps things for a long time and likes them to be as stock as possible. I look for things like the Certificate of Provenance and keep window stickers just as I would keep proofs of regular maintenance. Even my Grand Marquis LSE (the five-seat, center console variant) has the Marti report to corroborate JUST how limited it was as equipped (1 of 544) and it was ALSO a vehicle I bought new. Mileage-wise, it is the baby of the group...but still north of 100K miles.

Thnx and hopefully I'll stick around for a while ;)

·
Premium Member
2018 Evora 400 Burnt Orange
41 Posts
I haven't ordered one to spec, but I was going to order a 2021 when I found that another FL dealer had a bunch of different 2020 models, and a 2018 in orange, which was my first choice in color. I ended up getting the 2018 at a huge discount. I wouldn't expect a big discount on something you have ordered. They know it is exactly what you want, and they expect you to pay MSRP or very close for that. If you can open up your aperture a little bit, you might be able to find a 2020 with what you want on it. What is the spec that you want?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
What are you looking to spec that you can’t find already on the ground? An inventory car will have better odds at a discount than placing an order

·
Registered
131 Posts
Reading some of the posts here and elsewhere, the Evora does NOT seem to be something that could not be used for a daily commute or even a road trip, although a passenger could be driven crazy by engine droning...what can I say- I have people who don't always appreciate such things.
Welcome to the forum and to Lotus. I live in the Tampa area and own an 2017 Evora 400 myself. I wanted to quote this particular section of your post because I do daily mine and last year I took it to Miata's at the Gap and put 1700 miles on it in 4 days. The car currently has just under 34k miles on it. I know you used a double negative here so you're saying it can be used this way but I want to confirm that it is a great car for this purpose. Everyone I take for a ride in it comments on how it's much more comfortable and quiet than they expected. The valved exhaust really helps make it livable on the highway when you are just looking to steady state cruise. There is absolutely no drone at all with the valve closed. I even removed the third cat in mine which makes the exhaust quite a bit louder than stock which is already considered quite loud for a stock car. I also find the Evora to be surprisingly practical. The trunk holds quite a bit more than expected and the backseats can fit 2 carry on roller bags with a few other items on top for weekend trips. My wife loves the car and doesn't find it irritating to ride in at all.

On the flip side it is an amazingly fun driver's car. It has that x-factor in the way it has been setup and tuned by Lotus. At full song the exhaust is absolutely glorious. That camry motor sounds exotic and I take it all the way to redline pretty much every drive. I've tracked it a few times at Sebring and it performs admirably completely stock. Doesn't overheat, stock brake pad compound holds up, and it remains remarkably composed over all of the bumps and surface transitions that make Sebring unique. I had a few passengers at the last track day that were blown away at how capable it was right out of the box on street tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S).

I can't help you much on ordering one because I picked mine up used from another forum member but I can say it's definitely not a car you will regret purchasing and it is going to be exceptionally hard to replace.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Absolutely do not limit yourself to local. I had another member check out one in New Jersey for me and had it shipped to Seattle. Wait for exactly what you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are you looking to spec that you can’t find already on the ground? An inventory car will have better odds at a discount than placing an order
For starters...that awesome tan leather interior ;)

Got a pic via email from Lotus...drooling. THAT would match well with my two other vehicles at are some variant of BRG and tan...

In terms of the MY20 vehicles, I want some manner of color in the seat inserts but was NOT wanting red with a green exterior and was hoping to avoid all black given Texas summers...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely do not limit yourself to local. I had another member check out one in New Jersey for me and had it shipped to Seattle. Wait for exactly what you want.
Not limiting to local...actually working with someone outside of where I spend most of my time right now. But both of my last two NEW purchases came from outside of Texas anyhow...when I bought the F-Type, the dealership in that sale even threw in flat-bedding it to me. My '05 was one where I flew up to Ohio and drove home.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Green over tan would be a great combo for this car. I’d gotta imagine there’s one around somewhere. Having driven the gt and bought a 400 the only thing I wish I had was the rear bumper. Other than that I’m happy I saved 30k, not to mention the depreciation hit

·
Premium Member
2018 Evora 400 Burnt Orange
41 Posts
Green over tan would be a great combo for this car. I’d gotta imagine there’s one around somewhere. Having driven the gt and bought a 400 the only thing I wish I had was the rear bumper. Other than that I’m happy I saved 30k, not to mention the depreciation hit
I drove the 400 and the GT back to back. I didn't hit speeds high enough to see the downforce differences, but otherwise they didn't feel that different to me.

Reactions: ostatem3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tan is new for MY21, at least for the States...and at least according to the email exchange with Lotus.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I went into my local (Austin) dealer in early 2017 and was looking for an Evora 400 2+0, but everything in stock at the time was the 2+2 version with options that I didn't really want. Around the time I decided to special order a 2+0, the ordering window for the Sport 410 had opened, so I was able to spec just what I wanted in the 410. I ordered the car in April and then took delivery in late August. One of the fun things during the process was a couple photos from the factory of my car as it was nearing completion. According to the Certificate of Vehicle Provenance for model year 2017, this car was the only one in orange worldwide, the 60th of 72 cars (worldwide), and the first of only two Sport 410 for USA (not counting the nine Sport 410 GP editions).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered my 2020 GT with the tan interior option, not new for MY21 View attachment 1265326

View attachment 1265327
I'm basing my comment upon the email direct from Lotus (and combining it with the lack of tan leather appearing on the configuration website or in ANY dealership that has their inventory listed online with in the United States. Seems strange that they would have claimed it was new for MY21 in the States if it was not an accurate statement...

·
Registered
537 Posts
It might also be a semantic issue: custom ordered vs available option.

·
Premium Member
2020 Evora GT
3 Posts
I was sent 3 different ordering/option sheets during the whole process. Only one had the option for Bespoke interior and we had to write in “tan” (After it was confirmed with Lotus USA and the factory).

First car was a dealer configured white with the black interior, but when it arrived it had the wrong transmission. Lotus USA was great and contacted dealers all over the United States to try and get me a car. They emailed almost daily on the progress. We finally found a car that matched and the other dealer would not part with it. The vice president of sales for Lotus reached out and went to the dealer in person to try and persuade them to release the car. Ultimately it did not happen and I instead opted to build the green above.

I will say that Lotus was great to work with even through the initial let down. The regional sales person also made sure to send over pictures of the car during the build at the factory.

To answer your original questions, my dealer asked for 10% down before they would submit the order. I was also able to get money off the MSRP even with ordering.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts