The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if this is the place to do this, if so, my apologies.

I'll make my post two fold as to make it more pertinent:cool:

Im Jenn from Louisville, just like many of you Im on the waiting list for the Elise. Im with a dealer in Atlanta, hoping for an advan red with hardtop. :D

How many of you are on the lists, and what number are you?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
IMO, probably best eventually to do this on an off topic or Member forum, but right now, seems fine to me and a good idea for a thread. :)

Perhaps even some information about yourself?

I started this site about a year ago. I have been on the list at Symbolic of La Jolla for over a year, since the 2002 Los Angeles auto show. I have no idea what color I want.

I don't know the number I am, but I have to assume it is very low, if not in the top one or two.

I run an engineering business. Age 45. I race cars and karts as a hobby. I have raced Toyota MR2s for many years, this year I have no race car, just racing a kart or borrowing cars. My other cars are a Mercedes C280, Toyota Alltrac Turbo, Honda Odyssey minivan. I just sold a Lexus RX300.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I live in Sunnyvale, California (near San Jose). I've owned a naturally aspirated MR2 since 1995, and am looking to have a little more hp at the rear wheels. I'm #2 on the list at Los Gatos; I havn't decided which color to get but it'll either be one of the shades of blue (probably Ice Blue), or Gunmetal Gray. I'm a recently laid-off Mechanical Engineer, so lately I'm spending a lot more time driving the MR2 and wishing the Elise were already here!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Hi, I've been fairly obsessed with the Elise since seeing it at the LA Auto show in 2002, and was delighted to be able to put down a deposit at Symbolic a few weeks after this year's show. For the past year or so, I've been reading everything that I could find on the Elise.

I was able to test-drive one (a "base model" S2, at 122 HP) in February and it was very, very good ! The 180 - 190 HP version should be pretty unbelievable.

I, too, am not sure about the color that I want, but am now leaning toward yellow, assuming that Lotus offers a nice shade of yellow for the US version

Roll on, 2004 ! :D

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Another guy from Sunnyvale. Also own a MR2 Turbo (12yr &counting), #9 on the list. Have a Legacy Outback for a "real" car. Looking forward to a Elise as a nice step up from the '2.

Hang in there Matt, been working the valley for over 20yrs & have seen my share of layoffs. Enjoy the time off, hopefully it'll be a short break.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Interesting how many Elise owners were MR-2 owners.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Sorry, me again, I forgot to add that I'm currently driving a '99 Mazda Miata, will be sorry to see it go when the Elise arrives, it's been a great little car. Owning the Miata has given me the assurance that I can live with a small sports car, now I feel ready for something that's quite a bit more extreme, in terms of performance !

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Randy - In my case, until now, I feel there hasn't been any car out there that I wanted to replace my MR2 with. I bet other MR2 owners feel the same. It's a market segment that's pretty much been ignored by the industry (mid engine, NOT a convertible, true sports car).

Larry - I actually find myself busier than ever now, working on projects around the house. This 'time off' is kinda nice. :)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mikester said:
Sorry, me again, I forgot to add that I'm currently driving a '99 Mazda Miata, will be sorry to see it go when the Elise arrives, it's been a great little car. Owning the Miata has given me the assurance that I can live with a small sports car, now I feel ready for something that's quite a bit more extreme, in terms of performance !
If it wasnt a 99 model I'll tell you to modify it to insane levels.....I guarantee I could show you extreme with a miata. :cool:

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
... funny... I started an almost identical post on another (now defuct) elise forum.. ;) Good to see one pop up here.

I'm in Glendale, CA; on the list at Symbolic, Beverly Hills (#32 on the list - sheesh).

I just sold my fast car - twin turbo '94 RX7. Couldn't deal with all of the reliability issues. It's no fun worrying about something blowing up under the hood no matter how much prevention you put towards it. Not only that, but I couldn't fit in the damn thing with a helmet-shod head - so it never saw a second of track time.

My daily driver is ::gasp:: an MR2. How strange that we all think alike.

... as long as we're talking about it, I write software for a living and used to love to take my 914 to the track - looking forward to another trackable car.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm from Ann Arbor, MI and I'm in the top handful at the Lotus dealership here. I put my desposit ($1k) down the day after the Elise was announced at lotuscars.com.

I can't wait! I currently drive a '00 Audi S4, which I waited over a year for Audi to bring to the states. Nothing like the thrill of waiting for -exactly- the right car for you!

I'm having a blast reading all the rumors about what the US Spec Elise is, and isn't, will be, and won't be...

I'm still not sure which color I'll get, but... if my Nogaro blue S4 with the blue alcanatara interior is any bet, it'll be a bright one. :)

-Thom

·
Registered
148 Posts
I live in Burbank, CA and I believe that I am #31 on Symbolic BH list.
Currently I drive a '93 Mazda Miata as my daily driver. I have a ITS Prepped '70 240z for a track car. For Drag and street I have a '91 Dodge Stealth Turbo modified to the hilt... you name it, it has it. And I also have a ZX-7 Ninja. Yep.... another car nut. Before I knew that the Elise was actually making it to U.S. shores, I was seriously considering a Vintage Spyder. 1300 lbs. and 150+ hp. Only other COMPARABLE choice, in my opinion.

I'm a Broadcast Engineer / Technical Director for broadcast television.

Jose Soriano

·
Registered
163 Posts
I live in the LA area and am #18 on the Silver Star list in Thousand Oaks. I got on there versus Symbolic since the list was shorter, they only required $1K down and they have their own service center.

I became interested in the Elise when Road and Track this article

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features/ArticleDisplay.asp?ArticleID=220

Since the LA Auto Show I've been hooked and have test drove the Euro test mule at both Symbolic and Silver Star.

Current car is a modified 97 Trans Am that makes a little of 400 horsepower and torque. I've Solo II'd it a few times and got on the big track at Vegas for two days, but it's mostly a street car and only impressive in a straight line.....

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well it sounds like I *should* have owned an MR2. I became a true petrolhead with Porsche. I currently run a Boxster ('99 2.5L). I great track and AX car but not enough power @ 200bhp. Good driver training though. PCA have allowed other makes into AX'es so I'm looking forward to introducing Lotus to them all :D

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
It is funny how quite a few of us have followed the same path, in a way, to arrive where we are (waiting for our Elises). Like Jose, I was also really serious, for a while, about buying a replica 550 Spyder from Vintage. They're cool little cars, but there was no way that the Spyder was going to be a true daily driver, and that's what I need, a car that's very quick and small, but also a "real car", not just a toy. Things like door handles/locks are useful, for instance ! ;)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,146 Posts
I live in Southern CA. I currently drive an e36 M3, though it will soon be replaced by a Mini. I've owned a 911 in the past and was about to buy another when Lotus announced the Elise! I have been waiting for this car since the Series 1 was originally introduced!!!

I also ride a Ducati M900ieS.

I'm #16 on the list at Symbolic. :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
hello

Hiya people

A link to here was posted on our UK Lotus forum so I've popped across to play the role of ambassador and say hi!

I've got a 2002 S2 Elise with a few modifications and all I can say to you all is ......you will LOVE it. It might only have 120bhp as standard but it's anything but slow and grips the road like it's on rails.

I suspect the new Toyota powered version will be even more hot :)

If you'd like to read LOTS about elises - feel free to join us on http://forums.seloc.org

Cheers
Moose

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I'm another body from SELOC. I have an early 2001 Laser Blue S2 with no mods done (still 120bhp) as my driving abilites are far outweighed by the cars abilities.
It is not a drag racer, but you will cackle like a loon on any corner you want. Anyone can do a straight line, but corners are where the fun and the skill is. If you make it over to London at anytime, post to SELOC (http://forums.seloc.org) and we'll take you out for a ride :D

1 - 20 of 213 Posts