The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say it's great to have found this board. I've been lusting for an Elise ever since they first came out in the UK. So much so that I named my first daughter "Elise" in '98. When the wife found out later that it was the name of a car she almost freaked but it was too late. :D
I looked into and almost bought a Motorsport Elise but I knew I couldn't deal with not being able to drive it on the street. I also almost bought one of the Elise-Hondas but I was turned off and got scared by the lack of warranty. Of course when I found out the Elise was finally coming to the US I ran to my nearest dealer and placed an order. That was back in Jan, '02 when my dealer didn't even know what an Elise was much less that they would be selling them someday.
In the meantime I've immersed myself with other automotive projects and purchases... once in a while checking the Lotus USA site and some other lesser boards for info. Now that I've found this board I plan on staying here for news and info and hopefully I can contribute as well.

-Gary
'05 Elise (on order)
'04 GT3
Many others interesting and uninteresting.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Welcome aboard and brace yourself for the next nine months! :D

"Elise" is the name I have pick for my daughter, after my girlfriend and I get married and have a child. And if it's a boy, oh well, someone's going to be made fun of on the playground. Or how about Exige?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Elise is a great name for a daughter, but I think Gary's experience is typical - if your significant other isn't a car nut, s/he would probably object to naming a child after a car. I know I'd have a hard time selling my wife on that idea! There are just so many car names that would make great kid names though. Elise, Enzo, Gallardo, Aston, Zagato, Bertone, Corrado, etc.

So Gary, do you tell your daughter the truth about the origin of her name, or do you wait and let her figure it out herself? :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
MattG said:
There are just so many car names that would make great kid names though. Elise, Enzo, Gallardo, Aston, Zagato, Bertone, Corrado, etc.
I test drove a Passat to get $50, and the salesman's name was Corrado! He's a recent transplant from Belgium (married an American woman), but has been working for VW for 8 years.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Hi Gary,

Welcome to the board. PCCB or not? Curious what people are choosing these days.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my daughter is 5 1/2 now and she knows there is a car with the same name but I haven't told her that she was named after it. I think when I come home in the Elise sometime next year I'll spill the beans to her. The great thing about the name is that it's different from all the Lauren's, Emily's and Ashley's out there.

I went for the "regular" brakes on the GT3. I figured for the $8000 option price I could buy stock pads and rotors for a real long time. I ran the car hard for three days on the Nurburgring and found the stock brakes to be sensational, I'm glad I did not go PCCB.

I think the Uncle on the Sopranos is Corrado. It may be an Italian name we don't hear much. I like it.

-Gary

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I think you made the right choice until Porsche can refine the system. From the discussions on Rennlist, I think the PCCB is not for the serious track driver at the moment.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I think Elise is a beautiful name! It gives me ideas for my first daughter...a looong time from now ;)

When you get your Elise, you should take a picture of Elise in your Elise. And if you plan on keeping the car when she is old enough to drive it, make sure she has lots of fun in it...after all the car was your inspiration for her name. If nothing else, it may be a bond that keeps you and your daughter very close. I know from experience with my own dad (although I was the one that got him into cars).

Welcome to the board!

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
Welcome, Gary!

I had the opportunity to take a handful of laps around our local roadcourse in a GT2 last year, and words can barely describe the feeling.

Since the GT2/3 is quite out of my price range, hopefully I'll find some similarities with the Elise. :)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Gary,

Looking forward to hearing your impressions on the differences between the Elise and GT3 driving experiences. I was on the fence with the GT3 and almost pulled the trigger. Both cars strike the same chord with me - pure driving enjoyment. So next summer you are on the hook to give us the Elise/GT3 camparo!:D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The GT3 and the Elise are very different. The Elise will be easier to drive at the limit and of course there is nothing that compares to light weight. The GT3 still needs to be kept on top of with all the weight out back and no traction control and you have to maintain complete concentration in order to get some real good lap times. The Elise will be an easier car to drive at the limit and the limits should be even higher with some good rubber underfoot. Where the GT3 reigns is on a long course where the power takes over, on a short course like Lime Rock, the Elise should be easily under a minute. The car should be very forgiving much like a nicely setup '88-'91 BMW M3 which is my favorite car to track/race. The Boxster is a great handling car but the Elise should blow it away. I'm thinking the closest thing to a go cart for the street. It's going to be a phenomenal car, it has to be since it will be Lotus' only US offering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts