The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I currently own a '69 Elan DHC that I've had for, OMG, 20 years now and am getting very close to committing to an Elise. I'll be using it for track days (maybe one a month from May to October), the odd drive to work and weekend blast on the back roads. I'm just not into putting a roll bar into the Elan and subjecting it to the track day punishment, thus the primary motivation for the Elise. I've done all the work on the Elan, so I'll be doing some of the mechanical work on the Elise, although one of the reasons for getting one is that I can farm it out to a dealer if I don't feel like doing the work. There's no-one here in Ottawa that really knows that much about the Elan (or Elise) so I feel stuck doing all the work myself. At least with the Elise there's a dealer in Montreal.

Right now my ideal Elise would be a black and silver 60th anniversary upgraded with Ohlins. Of course there are no black and silvers available in Canada anymore, the only 60th anniversary being a Storm+Red one in Vancouver.

However, it's still a chunk of money more than a used '06 Elise, or even a new '07, although all the ones that are much cheaper than the 60th ann. are non-SCs. We're talking about $50K CDN vs $70K CDN.

Thus the question: Am I better off paying the extra $$ to have the warranty and have the factory do all the work, or buying a non-SC and doing all the upgrades myself or at Scotti in Montreal (the closest dealer). What upgrades would I be doing ?

Assuming starting with a Elise + sports package

- Supercharger
- Harness Bar + Harness
- Toe link reinforcement
- Ohlins
- Adjustable sway bar
- Exige seats

I'm trying to not buy a project car (the Elan is already one of those, and that's enough for me) but I don't want to waste my money either.

matt
------------------------------------------------------------
'69 Elan : QED Head, 420 Cams , CV Joints, Spax, Panasports
'01 330i : My DD
'05 XC70: The kart trailer hauler

·
Registered
788 Posts
I can't answer you but the factory fitted supercharged would almost certainly hold its value better than a self done version. I wonder how much of the money you invest in the parts for doing it yourself would be recouped.

Good luck with whatever you do though

·
Registered
110 Posts
Factory SC with warranty is what you want unless you like wrenching on your car. The 2ZZ Toyota Motor has oil delivery issues and can have its problems. Buy an Elise and wait for the factory SC kit or buy an after market SC kit (katana, VF) and get a second factory computer to have flashed and get clip adapters for the injectors. The Ecu needs to be opened to flash and that will void you motors warranty.

Basically if you have motor issues, get the kit removed, put everything back to stock and hope for the best.

On the bright side heads are $1000 and short blocks are about $2000 CDN.

I'm on number 3... Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts