The Lotus Cars Community banner

Are you going to put something like Invicashield on your Elise?

• Yes

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • No.

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I've heard good stuff about this *except* when you actually get a scrape through it - repair is a nightmare. That might be a small price to pay for 0 rock chips, however.

·
Registered
113 Posts
No doubt I'll use some form of paint protection.

Another product I've seen used is an 8 mil urethane. A number of San Diego Porsche club folks use it and it looks great. My 914 came well-used so there's no reason to protect the old paint chips.

www.MIshield.com There's a shop in San Diego that does installs. Protects headlights, too.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
With the "softer" paints they use now a days and fiberglass panels, the Elise will stone chip very easy. Will be adding a clear bra of some type.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I'm planning on having it installed, esp. if I go with my current choice, which is black !

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Whether my next car is the Elise or the Honda, I will be getting an adhesive protectant installed. Ston-Gard, Clear Armor, whatever... I have a black Miata, and the bumper and hood are peppered with tiny white nicks. I suppose that should teach me not to drive over the Grapevine the morning after it snowed and CalTrans put down sand...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Armourfend (as we get over here) is a very good choice - the Elise is terrible for getting stone chips - and a protection film is probably 1/3 the cost of a respray.

As Brian says it does make repairs more costly if the body needs work that requires the film to be peeled off, but that's what insurers are for ;)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,246 Posts
I know this product well. I worked for 3M Co for about 10 yrs and used to sell and service it to the auto OEMs. 3M's urethane film is excellent. I have placed it onto my cars and motorbikes over the years. It is not too hard to apply but does take some patience.

The Elise kit comes with many different pieces. I'm willing to help any Elisetalk members that would like to apply it themselves.

Of course it may cost you some beer...or Temecula wine....:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've got armourfend (which I think uses 3m film). Very happy with it when I look and compare to other peoples cars without it.

Don't go for cheap stuff or it will discolour in sunlight.

Also in the uk at least, the difference between armorfend and invictashield is that armorfend can do the front in one piece whilst invicta can't (or so I'm told).

p.s. please no one fit a leather bra to your Elise they are revolting. Whats the point in protecting the front of your car to keep it pretty when it looks so disgusting with it on? You guys are weird!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts