The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Technically "iPhone 2.0" is the newest version of the iPhone operating system and will be a free upgrade for all existing iPhones. It includes support for the new AppStore and 3rd-party applications; support for push mail, calendars, contacts, and photos through the revamped .Mac service which is now called MobileMe; and some misc. UI tweaks throughout.

The "iPhone 3G" is the new version of the iPhone. It includes the enhanced OS as above, and on the hardware end it supports 3G data connections (which are ~2.5 times faster than the current Edge speeds), has built-in GPS, a flush headphone jack, is slimmer, longer battery life, comes in an 8gig model with an all-black back or a 16gig model in either black or white.

The iPhone 2.0 OS update will be out "early July" and the iPhone 3G will be released on July 11th. The iPhone 3g will cost $199 for the 8gig and $299 for the 16gig, with a contract. The optional MobileMe service is $99/year, or $149/year for a family pack.

--

The rest is all great, and GPS will be sweet when Garmin releases a version of their GPS app for it, but I'm most excited about 3G. I would have paid $1,000 for the same iPhone but with 3G. The apps are so useful, but then you find yourself stuck waiting on slow Edge network speeds and it's frustrating as hell. Plus, with 3G you can talk and use data at the same time. The MobileMe over-the-air syncing will also be a huge improvement.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Greatttt :rolleyes: Now my wife and 12 year old daughter are going to want this for sure. :(

At least the price is more reasonable :shrug:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I live outside of AT&T's 3g coverage zone, and while it'd be useful traveling, it's just not worth the upgrade to me. I've found that the problem isn't the SPEED of the AT&T edge network, it's their backend - for example, you are shown the status when downloading email attachments, and for a long time, it just sits at 0% progress. It's not that the data is being sent slowly, it's just not being sent at all and I question whether 3G will really change that.

Getting the third party apps onto the iPhone is the key change IMO, that and the improvements to dotmac (err, MobileMe now).

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I hope the darn thing can send picture messages, thats so annoying. and yes the headphone jack on the original iphone is annoying! video would be really nice too!

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I've found that the problem isn't the SPEED of the AT&T edge network, it's their backend
Latency is supposed to be much better with 3G, and it runs parallel to the voice systems which is supposed to eliminate another reason for the delay.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The question is WILL there be an actual Apple upgrade path?

I've had my 8gb iPhone for almost 4 months now and love it - I'd give them $99 to upgrade but that's it!
doubt it. but if so id save a lot of money when i decide to upgrade the fam plan iphones hahaha

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm in. The current 2G data rate is tolerable to glacial depending on conditions. 3G should be quite a bit less painful to use. I'll give my 1st generation iPhone to the wife, as I'd loose my shorts on it if I were to ebay it. The GPS will make Google maps even more of a killer app than it already is.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I've found that the problem isn't the SPEED of the AT&T edge network, it's their backend - for example, you are shown the status when downloading email attachments, and for a long time, it just sits at 0% progress.
+1 million.

Back in my Blackjack and HTC days, the common trick was to replace the terrible AT&T DNS servers with OpenDNS. It was amazing how much that helped the latency issues.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
They'll upgrade it if you bought a 1.0 recently, but it'll restart the contract period i believe. Haven't heard confirmation that it supports MMS yet though, but i'd be shocked if it didn't.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts