The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my guess is when I turn off the car, the Ipod stays on. When I drive the car everyday, I have no Ipod issues. But if the car has sat for multiple days and I start it up, the Ipod has no juice in it and the radio does not turn it on. It says no disc. I try to turn on the Ipod, but the battery is dead. I have to unplug the Ipod, go into house, turn on computer, plug into computer for a minute or two so there is enough juice to turn on Ipod, unplug Ipod, turn off computer, then plug it back into the car. Then the radio plays the Ipod and I guess it charges it too.

Is something wrong or is this normal?

And I did search first so I'm hoping to not get flamed if it is posted somewhere else. :p

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer. I was hoping something was wrong so Lotus could fix it. :D Thanks.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
iPods are notorious for having battery issues. I think if you leave them plugged into the car stereo, it'll drain the iPod battery. I have a 2nd gen iPod (really old) and it barely holds a charge, I only use it for stereos and speakers these days, never for hand portable.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
just make sure you disconnect it everytime after you turn the car off, and connect it BEFORE you start the car and turn the radio on

my ipod does that, it will NOT turn off automatically...so you would have to switch it off yourself

if problem persist after above...you can always "restore" and "resync" it

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, there is nothing wrong with the ipod. I bought it new for the car. I just did not plan on unplugging it other than to add tunes to it. So, now I know - if I do not drive the car everyday, unplug the ipod and turn off. Sweet! Thanks.

I swear I seached! I searched ipod (too many results to go through them all) and then ipod and charging. I did not search powering off though so that's why it didn't come up.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Mine does the same. I have an older Alpine head unit (a 9833, with the Alpine iPod interface box). In order to deal with this problem, when the head unit says "no disk", I just reach under the dash (I have to be out of the car and down on one knee to do it) and just turn the iPod on manually while the head unit is on. I can do this by feel, and my iPod is in a soft case (which is in turn attached to the car with velcro) so that I can just push on the outside of the case. After about 10 seconds, the head unit will do a "check disk", and connect.

I have noticed that unplugging and replugging the iPod with the head unit on will have the same effect, but just pushing on the lower part of the circle on the front of the iPod is easier.

Because I know it does this after about a day or so, I don't even get fully into the car initially if I haven't driven it in that long. I just reach into the car, turn it on, turn on the head unit, see if the iPod connects, and if it doesn't, kneel down and turn on the iPod. I get odd looks at airport parking garages sometimes.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
since it never turned off on me either, i figured they were all like that...so i just do it manually :shrug: LOL

which head unit turns iPods off properly?

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, it's not uncommon for me to have to turn on the ipod manually, but if it's been a few days, then the battery is dead on the ipod and it does not turn on even with the car on.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
agirls said:
I swear I seached! I searched ipod (too many results to go through them all) and then ipod and charging. I did not search powering off though so that's why it didn't come up.
I was just letting you know it was there, it didn't come up on search right off and I only knew about the discussion because I was part of it. Otherwise I would have given you the repost treatment. rotfl

since it never turned off on me either, i figured they were all like that...so i just do it manually :shrug: LOL

which head unit turns iPods off properly?
I have a RF headunit in my pickup with an ipod adaptor I installed after I bought the truck, which properly shuts down and restarts the iPod even after a few days of non-use. It works flawlessly, but then again...I installed it. :D

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
My daughter's ipod shuts down automatically a few minutes after my 2007 Alpine HU is turned off and the key is out :shrug:. It does need to be turned on manually after that but it is not as involved as Chris' as it sits in the ipod holder in the dash tray.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick update. It may have been the ipod and not the radio.

I have the stock Alpine 9820XM and an 8G ipod Nano (3rd generation). I have not driven the car for a week due to a knee injury so I pulled the ipod out since I knew it would be dead and plugged it into the computer to charge. I have it set for iTunes to automatically open which it did and then notified me there was an update for my ipod. I updated it, charged it, added a few songs, and put it back into the car.

I've driven the car twice today and both times it shut off minutes after turning off the car and came back on when the car was started. The ipod was even paused.

So maybe the problem has been solved. Go update your ipods! Depending on your settings, you may have to do it manually.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I have a hunch you'll experience the same thing if you leave the car sitting for more than a day. Try it in the morning after it sits overnight and let us know. I'm going to update my iPod just to see if it works for me as well. :D

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Update:
So I was using my old 20GB iPod (fourth gen - from the dark ages) in my Exige and it was having the issues of not shutting down and/or not starting up correctly. I even checked and made sure the software version was up to date.
On a hunch, I pulled out my iPod "Classic" (video iPod) and tried it (after updating software) and it actually works correctly with the iPod interface on the Alpine headunit. It seems to be more "aware" of the presence of the connector and the on / off signals sent by the Alpine.
So basically it looks like it is a problem with older iPods...darn...another reason to go treat yourself to a new iPod. :D

·
Registered
912 Posts
The reason the battery dies is because it is still playing when you turn the car off. i noticed that when i plug it in while its paused it will play when connected and then pause when i turn off the car. if i have it playing while plugging in it will not pause on its own after shutting down the car. maybe this will help.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update for me too...

So, I purposely did not drive the car yesterday. Parked it Wed 5pm, started it up Fri 10am. All is well. Ipod pauses when car is shut off then then turns off minutes later. Ipod turns back on and resumes playing where it was paused when the car is turned back on.

Sweet! Hopefully the Lotus and ipod will continue to behave now that the ipod has been updated. :D

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
:clap: I've switched my iPods permanently, because my truck system works fine with the older one, even though the Exige only seems to be ok with newer iPods.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GAW!!!!!

Didn't drive the car for a few days and went to leave in it and guess what was dead? Damn ipod......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts