The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the distinct pleasure of being able to testdrive my new MY12 Evora today (long story, car here, no papers, can't transfer ownership), and am now a little perplexed by the IPS.

In an attempt to keep the revs between 3-4k, I was upshifting & downshifting successfully between 1-2-3 except when going from 2 --> 1.

For some reason, unless the car was pretty much stopped, whenever I would click the left paddle, even at 2500 rpm, instead of shifting down to first, I simply received an exclamation mark in the gear display on my dash.

I tried this in both sport & regular modes, and found no difference in behavior. Is this normal, or can this be corrected?

-----

Now the positive! -- Wow!!!! I was extremely apprehensive about both the Venom red leather, as well as the NA engine, but they are both fantastic! The car 'feels' way more solid than the MY11 I tested, handles beautifully, and looks fantastic! I'll share more thorough first impressions when I can actually take delivery of the car, but so far so good!

Aaron

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I had the distinct pleasure of being able to testdrive my new MY12 Evora today (long story, car here, no papers, can't transfer ownership), and am now a little perplexed by the IPS.

In an attempt to keep the revs between 3-4k, I was upshifting & downshifting successfully between 1-2-3 except when going from 2 --> 1.

For some reason, unless the car was pretty much stopped, whenever I would click the left paddle, even at 2500 rpm, instead of shifting down to first, I simply received an exclamation mark in the gear display on my dash.

I tried this in both sport & regular modes, and found no difference in behavior. Is this normal, or can this be corrected?

-----

Now the positive! -- Wow!!!! I was extremely apprehensive about both the Venom red leather, as well as the NA engine, but they are both fantastic! The car 'feels' way more solid than the MY11 I tested, handles beautifully, and looks fantastic! I'll share more thorough first impressions when I can actually take delivery of the car, but so far so good!

Aaron
What a beautiful color combo! Photos more photos please.
Ron

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I promise, more good photos with a proper camera as soon I pick up the car!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
498 Posts
Furazoball

Just to make sure I understanding your ? You wanted to down shift from 2nd to 1st. Most cars won’t allow this to happen to protect the trans/gears. My buddy's Lambo has the same problems and my M3 DCT did not like going from 2nd to 1st. The safest bet is keep it in 2nd and coast to the stop and let it automatically go to 1st. Then start the process all over again. Even when driving a standard I rarely go from 2nd to 1st unless I am almost at 5 MPH. I have owned single stage (SMG) dual stage (DCT,DSG,PDK) and shift type torque converter automatics ( Lexus ISF 8 speed) with all being reluctant to down shift to first gear. I hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Same as what fasttoys said. Going from second to first in the standard is ... harsh usually. Second gear has plenty of pull to drive away in most instances anyway so it is a rarity.

·
Registered
838 Posts
IPS paddle downshift 2nd to 1st

According to the owner's manual, it will not allow anything it thinks will damage the transmission.

I have not tried to downshift into 1st. It goes there automatically when you come to a stop.

I have found in the Elise downshifting into 2nd was fine for hard acceleration out of a sharp turn. I guess I cannot see any advantage to downshifting into 1st.

Upshifting under hard acceleration is seamless. When you allow the car to downshift automatically when slowing, at times there is a noticable speed change feedback as it rev matches.

I'm growing to like the IPS very much.

·
Registered
838 Posts
is there a break in period

I was told by the dealer there is no break in period.

Even so, I'm still going to keep the revs down to <4K until the first oil change - plan to take it in at close to 1000 miles. It is plenty fast up to 4k RPM.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
why would you want to shift from 2nd to 1st? Just curious. I've never really had to do this on any regular basis. Not really normal driving. Maybe if you're trying to get someones attention? :shrug:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree -- regular driving: absolutely no need to ever do this. I only had 15 minutes in my new car, and 10 were spent in traffic, so exploring the IPS transmission was only achievable in 1-2-3, mostly 1-2.

race track: I'm not familiar enough with the gearing ratio's, but if a particularly slow corner has a 1st gear exit speed, would'n't you want to be able to downshift under braking (higher RPM)? I suspect this an extremely rare situation, as this would describe an exit speed of 40-50KPH? (assuming 1st tops out @ 70kph?)

Just to be clear -- I'm not trying to reverse engineer a rationale for downshifting from 2nd to 1st to justify my test drive... I'm just curiosity about the design.

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Babying motor that much is doing you NO good.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I agree -- regular driving: absolutely no need to ever do this. I only had 15 minutes in my new car, and 10 were spent in traffic, so exploring the IPS transmission was only achievable in 1-2-3, mostly 1-2.

race track: I'm not familiar enough with the gearing ratio's, but if a particularly slow corner has a 1st gear exit speed, would'n't you want to be able to downshift under braking (higher RPM)? I suspect this an extremely rare situation, as this would describe an exit speed of 40-50KPH? (assuming 1st tops out @ 70kph?)

Just to be clear -- I'm not trying to reverse engineer a rationale for downshifting from 2nd to 1st to justify my test drive... I'm just curiosity about the design.
ah, i getcha.. when I test drove the IPS, it wasn't too exciting and the IPS certainly isn't a dual clutch or has the responsiveness of an F1 clutch like ferraris (not like I was expecting it to). I knew what the IPS tranny really is-- a standard automatic (slushbox) transmission with some "intelligent" programming to blip the throttle on downshifts. I would sorely miss the stick if I bought one, despite the huge benefits of it for being my main commuter car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Are you from toronto as well? Looks like you got the car from gentry lane

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
ah, i getcha.. when I test drove the IPS, it wasn't too exciting and the IPS certainly isn't a dual clutch or has the responsiveness of an F1 clutch like ferraris (not like I was expecting it to). I knew what the IPS tranny really is-- a standard automatic (slushbox) transmission with some "intelligent" programming to blip the throttle on downshifts. I would sorely miss the stick if I bought one, despite the huge benefits of it for being my main commuter car.
FYI, Next time you come for a test drive, make sure it's me that goes with you...no offense to my colleagues but they are not all that well versed in Lotus let alone with the IPS. :) You'll learn to appreciate the IPS :D

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I have put over 1,000 miles on the car and I must say the IPS is a phenomenal system. Now I cannot speak for the automatic mode since I have only driven it in sport mode and paddle mode the whole time, either way I agree with Abe you guys need to really drive the IPS a significant distance before you can judge the system. After my first service today and being able to push the car is reallllly fun!!!!! :shift:

Lotus noob

Side note: installing my CAI, Larini exhaust, CF diffuser tomorrow....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Los, that's some sharp eye you have there... Now that you mentioned it, I'm pretty sure that pic is Gentry Lane. Look at the brand new never titled Esprit sitting in the corner of that picture, and the reflection of the houses from across the street.

Any takers for an Evora meet-up in the GTA?

Are you from toronto as well? Looks like you got the car from gentry lane

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi vkykam & los -- Yes !! that's Gentry lane, and would definitely be interested in a meet up!

I picked up the car yesterday and have been pretty much driving it ever since. The IPS is surprisingly engaging relative to the typical slushbox tiptronic setup. I agree though, it's no Ferrari single clutch F1 (most fun paddle setup ever).

The downshifting does a cute blip, although I'm not sure how effective it is at reducing engine --> wheel torque... The only caveat would be dropping from 2nd to 1st, which seems to ignore all explicit instructions from the paddles.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Furazoball and Los,

PM me... I'm only around for another month or so before I head overseas for a while... I'm in the north end of TO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts