The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of times after switching to sport mode and starting up from a stop, without touching the paddles, the transmission began to upshift as though it was in normal automatic mode. After touching the paddles the car will only shift when they are used. Is this normal?

Also several times when in automatic, I've floored it so it will downshift for passing and it just continued to lug in 6th gear? I then experimented several times and noticed if I just press the accelerator a bit, it will downshift a gear or two and accelerate just fine. It will also continue to downshift to lower gears as additional pressure is applied to the accelerator.

I then tried a full press on the accelerator once again and it downshifted OK for passing? I expect the car to jump when I step on the gas every time, not lug in the same gear.

For the most part, the IPS works very well.

A little over 4K excellent miles and counting. I will continue to experiment.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
A couple of times after switching to sport mode and starting up from a stop, without touching the paddles, the transmission began to upshift as though it was in normal automatic mode. After touching the paddles the car will only shift when they are used. Is this normal?

Also several times when in automatic, I've floored it so it will downshift for passing and it just continued to lug in 6th gear? I then experimented several times and noticed if I just press the accelerator a bit, it will downshift a gear or two and accelerate just fine. It will also continue to downshift to lower gears as additional pressure is applied to the accelerator.

I then tried a full press on the accelerator once again and it downshifted OK for passing? I expect the car to jump when I step on the gas every time, not lug in the same gear.

For the most part, the IPS works very well.

A little over 4K excellent miles and counting. I will continue to experiment.
Even in the sport mode you have an automatic mode which is much more aggressive than the regular "non-sport" auto mode. Don't know if you're in that mode. The IPS is actually a great transmission but it learn/knows what you're trying to do by throttle response and adapts to your driving habits.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IPS

Even in the sport mode you have an automatic mode which is much more aggressive than the regular "non-sport" auto mode. Don't know if you're in that mode. The IPS is actually a great transmission but it learn/knows what you're trying to do by throttle response and adapts to your driving habits.
I thought the manual said paddle shifters only when in sport mode. After a reread, apparently it does not rule out fully automatic when in sport mode?

Also the manual says no kick-down shifts (downshifts) when the accelerator is stepped on if manual (paddle shifting) is in effect. When it failed to downshift for passing I was sure it was in automatic, not manual.

I agree IPS is very nice. Using the paddles in sport mode at the Tail of the Dragon allows you to focus on driving, not shifting - much fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts