The Lotus Cars Community banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also had one bizarre incident where it appeared to end up in a neutral state of some sort? (neutral was not selected, and downshifting then upshifting corrected it, but the engine was definitely no longer connected to the wheels...)
I had this also, resulting in a control light (gear symbol) which disappeared again after a stop of an hour.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2012 has the following issuess:

A: shifting from 3rd to 4th involves a massive over rev (blip??)

B: under hard acceleration, in sport, regular, and manual modes, it can get stuck in first gear, unable to shift to 2nd?

I also had one bizarre incident where it appeared to end up in a neutral state of some sort? (neutral was not selected, and downshifting then upshifting corrected it, but the engine was definitely no longer connected to the wheels...)

one possibly useful factoid would be my experience when I installed the Radium CAI. I had approx. 1100km on the car (no obvious problems except for the above) and had the CAI installed by my dealer. when I picked up the car, it seemed to be slipping TERRIBLY in all gears. It felt like my foot was halfway down the non-existent clutch. I was 100% sure this was a hardware issue, totally unrelated to the CAI. After approx. 20km of driving (home, then directly back to dealer) they removed the CAI, and the transmission behaved perfectly. I still have absolutely no idea how / why this would be the case, and neither do I, but it does point to some software voo-doo in the transmission that when miscalibrated can definitely result in hardware-failure-esque (sp?) symptoms...
I hv (b) problem. Hard acceleration and its stuck on 2nd gear. Hv to ease off the accelerator or it wont up shift into 3rd gear.

The (a), i think it goes higher rpm by 500 before it upshifts ? Im working with lotus malaysia & uk to solve this problem... Hopefully. Intesting to know 2012 hv this problem.

·
Registered
892 Posts
IPS stuck in a gear ?

I had this problem when in full automatic. It was due to the fact that I had inadvertently touched a paddle while turning and accelerating away from a stop.

The car remains in the same gear in manual mode for xx seconds, then reverts back to automatic. In the meantime it will only shift if you continue to use a paddle. I felt kind of stupid after realizing what I had done.

The car has too many modes of motion: automatic - D, automatic/manual - M with paddles only for xx seconds, and sport mode paddles only - M.

You all seem to be having issues other than operator error.

·
Registered
25 Posts
not much updates really... the malaysia lotus has been trying to perform the new protocol update but it has to be precise. couldn't find a proper place to do it for the past few days.

was informed today that they have booked a track(apparently they have a track) to perform the protocol update more accurately.

According to them, this protocol update should solve the "flaring" aka 500 rpm above at gear 4 and 2nd gear stuck during hard acceleration from standstill.

will let you guys know if they have successfully perform the new protocol update tomorrow.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I hope you guys get it figured it out, I had something similar with an AMG, though what fixed the problem was relearning the transmission, and driving like a granny for a week. What happened was I RENNtech tuned it, brand new than, drove the hell out of it... then when I wanted to drive normally it was acting like it had Terrets

I hope Lotus can figure it out.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I was informed yesterday afternoon that the engineer from lotus will be arriving on Tuesday to "fix" the issue, updates will follow.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sorry if I'm a little off the debate but people who are satisfied never tell so... I've been driving my '12 S IPS for about 3 months in all situations, and despite the 4th engaging late the first time when the car is cold, everything has been OK. I've encountered some of the symptoms you describe in the first weeks but have the feeling that my car learns my way of driving, and perhaps me her way of "thinking". And it works.

Anyways I hope all you describe is just a question of software upgrade, and that it will come soon.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Great news everybody....The wonderful gentlemen from Lotus were able to fix the issue. It was a software issue which they had to adjust the settings. The solution involved the way the transmission responded when shifting, either way I wanted to give a big thanks to the two gentlemen who came from lotus to have a look and fix my issue. I will be getting the car back from the dealership tomorrow and cannot wait to go for a long "peaceful" drive :shift: ...

Edit: Spelling

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great news everybody....The wonderful gentlemen from Lotus were able to fix the issue. It was a software issue which they had to adjust the settings. The solution involved the way the transmission responded when shifting, either way I wanted to give a big thanks to the two gentlemen who came from lotus to have a look and fix my issue. I will be getting the car back from the dealership tomorrow and cannot wait to go for a long "peaceful" drive...
Great news, mate. :bow:
Please give us your feedback as soon as possible ...

Could you please ask your dealership about the software version (ECU/TCU)
for that we are able to install it also ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
lotus did a more detailed "relearn" on a track. Unfortunately it didn't work. sucks big time. lotus malaysia is requesting to replace the gearbox. waiting for lotus UK to reply.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Wolf007:

Sorry to get back to you but the adjustment did not work. I was driving it soft yesterday and it worked fine, with the exception of one shift which i believed was related to the car being cold. Anyway, drove the car spirited today and the car 2x did the same thing by throwing the gear into neutral from 3rd to 4th. Since I did not want to damage anything I slowed down and drove it home and called lotus.

Sidenote: I really hate to be the bearer of bad news it seems these are the only posts I seem to be posting lately.

·
Registered
27 Posts
On the bright side; it must be solvable cause I haven't experienced any of the problems you guys mention.
My IPS is working flawless so far (having driven the car 3k miles only yet).
I also did a trackday without a problem.

I'd thought I'll post someting positive for the people that don't have IPS thinking to walk away from it. I love it! :up:

P.S. don't know what version TCU my car has at the moment, sorry

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you have mods on the car that could possibly interfere TCU and/or ECU?

Mine is a completely standard Evora IPS (from june 2011)

·
Registered
25 Posts
lotus malaysia have an updated code(not sure if it's TCU or ECU) and from email exchanges, it seems that they are convince that the new code(s) will solve the problems i'm facing. They will try it on their demo IPS first before putting it on my car. Will update you guys if it works.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Eric, many thanks for keeping us updated and for your Lotus guys in Malaysia, hopefully they will find a solution before my Lotus is completely falling in pieces.
At the moment I have some other troubles with my car and therefore I am going to visit my dealership ...

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Software update for engine and gearbox Lotus Evora S IPS

Guys, I just joined the forum. I am the lucky owner of a Lotus Evora S IPS MY2012. I recognise some of the problems mentioned, although it's never been as bad as for some of you. I thought it was important to let you know that last Friday Oct 25, an update for the engine and gearbox management systems was fitted. The car does behave differently and has an amusing popping sound in the exhaust when releasing the throttle in Sport mode. I have not had much time to drive the car since, but from the 80 kilometres or so, I have had no problems whatsoever. The dealer in Belgium told me that the update had come from Lotus in the last days. Hop this helps! Best wishes Bart

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
On my Lotus Evora S IPS MY2012:
too bad, but I have to tell you that after the recent software update at the end of October, three days ago when I went for a short drive, I have had the gears get stuck in 5th gear in auto mode, at a speed of around 120km/hr (speed limit on motorway in Belgium). Both the engine and gearbox light went on. Nothing helped, whether going into Sport manual or Auto mode of Normal manual or Normal auto mode, it stayed in 5th gear. However, I was able to put it into neutral, and getting it back into Drive mode didn't help either. So I left the motorway in neutral and when arriving at the end of the exit at a speed of 5 km/hr, I was able to get Drive to engage and shift down and up again. The problem was gone, but the two lights stayed lit, so I asked my dealer to come and fetch it, take it away and not bring it back to me until the problem was fixed, once and for all. I haven't heard from him for 3 days now... I'm enjoying the replacement car, a Lotus Elise S MY2012 with a lovely manual shift. A complete riot, and it makes me reminisce why ever I sold my Elise SC MY2007...

41 - 60 of 89 Posts