The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm through my break in period, I'm starting to push closer to the performance limits of the vehicle.

I'm really struggling with the IPS. For all of the scenario's below, I am referring to paddle shift mode, sport on. The aren't issues for day to day driving, but will be very real problems on a track. (And yes -- I do know how sub-optimal an IPS is for track use vs Manual ;)

1) Upshifting under acceleration: Shifting out of first in to second is sometimes almost instant, and sometimes completely ignored. If I accelerate sharply in first, and hold my foot down, anywhere above 4,000 RPM it will no longer shift when I trigger the right paddle. It will sometimes increase another 2500 RPM before shifting?! I tried reducing throttle to allow it to shift, but it didn't seem to make a difference...

2) Downshifting: The 'Blip' effect seems to primarily be an optics thing, which I'm ok with, but I think it actually may increase the momentary torque on the wheels? If you're on the brakes, and downshifting, you're off the throttle, which is reasonable. Even if the 'blip' rev matches perfectly, The result is still the equivalent of an instant and extreme lift, which isn't much worse than blipping too low.

3) Downshifting from 2nd to 1st: Generally not allowed. I had included this in a prior post, and felt a little dismissed as it seemed unlikely that you would ever need this on a track. The track that I will first be on will likely have me dropping to the top of first in one corner (unless this thing grips *way* better than I anticipate?) (Mosport Driver Development Centre)

I also have some issues in automatic mode between 3rd & 4th, but those seem to be known problems, and I suspect the answer is to just wait for Lotus to fix it...

Am I alone on any of the above? Is there a good mental model for how this transmission works that would guide me on when to shift, and what to do with my throttle?

Aaron

·
Registered
218 Posts
Explore the IPS on Cayuga on September 1 instead of Mosport? Some guys that are on this forum is organizing it. If I'm still in the country then I'll try to be there. See the Canada forum.

·
Registered
877 Posts
IPS Performance Driving

I'm really struggling with the IPS. For all of the scenario's below, I am referring to paddle shift mode, sport on. The aren't issues for day to day driving, but will be very real problems on a track. (And yes -- I do know how sub-optimal an IPS is for track use vs Manual ;)

1) Upshifting under acceleration: Shifting out of first in to second is sometimes almost instant, and sometimes completely ignored. If I accelerate sharply in first, and hold my foot down, anywhere above 4,000 RPM it will no longer shift when I trigger the right paddle. It will sometimes increase another 2500 RPM before shifting?! I tried reducing throttle to allow it to shift, but it didn't seem to make a difference...

2) Downshifting: The 'Blip' effect seems to primarily be an optics thing, which I'm ok with, but I think it actually may increase the momentary torque on the wheels? If you're on the brakes, and downshifting, you're off the throttle, which is reasonable. Even if the 'blip' rev matches perfectly, The result is still the equivalent of an instant and extreme lift, which isn't much worse than blipping too low.

3) Downshifting from 2nd to 1st: Generally not allowed. I had included this in a prior post, and felt a little dismissed as it seemed unlikely that you would ever need this on a track. The track that I will first be on will likely have me dropping to the top of first in one corner (unless this thing grips *way* better than I anticipate?) (Mosport Driver Development Centre)

I also have some issues in automatic mode between 3rd & 4th, but those seem to be known problems, and I suspect the answer is to just wait for Lotus to fix it...

Am I alone on any of the above? Is there a good mental model for how this transmission works that would guide me on when to shift, and what to do with my throttle?

Aaron[/QUOTE]

I've no experience racing on a track. Just six years and 36K miles on the Elise I sold last year. After the Evora's break in period we spent a long weekend at the dragon. I used the paddles very little prior to the trip. Our rule is to stay in your lane at all times. I do not think we did much above 80%-to-90% of what the car is capable of. We generally tried to keep the top speeds on straights under 60 - many police. I thought the car shifted/handled great, especially under max acceleration.

I had to get used to a downshift rev match blip on a downhill with a sharp turn at the bottom - there is a momentary increase in torque when you want to start braking. With the Evora's huge braking ability this was no problem.

I found downshifting to 2nd on hairpin turns was fine. I cannot see a need for 1st gear. "This thing" has amazing grip on the turns.

I've had no problems in full automatic mode. I think you will be happier after spending time getting used to the car on your track.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also have an Evora with IPS. Mine is from late 2011 and in april 2012 was the last time my TCU was updated (don't know by head which TCU version is currently on it). I have also tracked it.

1)I never experienced this behaviour, under heavy throttle mine will almost instantly shifting (like it should be)
2) don't experience this either. Downshifting goes very smooth without sudden torques differences.
3) downshifting from 2nd to first is indeed not allowed.

Let your dealer check your TCU version and have him upgrade it or reload the latest version. And let him also check the ECU for possible errorcodes.

Take care.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts