The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all, I have a 2014 Evora S IPS. It is only driven to car shows and then back to the garage. never seen rain. It has $k miles in it. Today when I took it out for a drive, it started to act funny. After about 10 min of driving:

1- the traction control light came
2- would would down shift automatically if i slowed down but would not down shift to pass
3- worked in manual shift but sluggishly
4- turn the car off and back on and all is well as if nothing happened.
5- No OBD 2 codes (even with an advanced reader)

I drove it in all modes and the issue occurred again and again.
Any ideas? There are no Lotus dealers in the state (Virginia) here.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like it could be the brake switch. Mine did that a few times and I replaced the switch and haven't had the issue since. Here's a thread that should help. It's an easy and quick thing to try.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I hate to say this but the many issues we had with our '12 were cured by a new wiring harness.

·
Illegal Alien
5,011 Posts
but i found a quite a few folks with 2014 models with the same issue
That is what he is saying, it could well be the engine/trans wiring harness needs to be replaced. Not much difference between a '12 and '14 car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
brake switch... just replace it.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
856 Posts
Agreed with trying the brake switch. Takes 5 minutes to switch out, if that. Buy the one from GRP for instant fit up or buy the one from RockAuto (SLS334) and grind/cut off the small tabs. Either way, cheap to try.

·
Registered
363 Posts
That was my thread in the beginning. Dealer replaced the brake switch and I carry the GRP as a spare.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. It seems like it was the break switch. I crawled under the dash and i think the switch plunger/tip was sitting at a slightly off angle and since I put it back in place its been fine. Since the switch is cheap, I ordered one, just in case it happens again.
Thank you all

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks everyone. It seems like it was the break switch. I crawled under the dash and i think the switch plunger/tip was sitting at a slightly off angle and since I put it back in place its been fine. Since the switch is cheap, I ordered one, just in case it happens again.
Thank you all
If you press the plunger and it bounces back a quarter of an inch or so, you are ok. Mine had no bounce back so it failed a drive or two after every time I did that.

There was some tech note about lubricating that somehow as a preventative, but that seems like a hope since I understand that once it fails, its done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Similar situation happened to me about a month ago ('12 NA IPS with updated wiring harness). I was driving on the highway in sport mode (as the good lord intended) and it shifted into 5th gear on its own, the dash lit up like a christmas tree (traction control, "!" IPS warning light, and CEL), kicked me out of sport mode and wouldn't let me shift into any other gear. Took it to the dealer, they had it for a week going back and forth with Lotus and asked if the car had gotten wet or if it was raining when this happened (no to both). They pulled the codes and it was the transmission connector, MAF and brake light sensor. I just had them clear the codes and haven't had any issues since. I am buying a brake switch sensor from GRP as a CYA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts