The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while I was coming home, enjoying my car, something weird happened: I was in either 4th or 5th gear manual mode going at about 45mph, and then I made an abrupt stop without manually downshifting. When I took off again, the car refused to go over 20mph. No warning light or anything came on at all. Pressing the gas pedal did not help. It was like I was in neutral except that the speed stayed at 20mph. I had to stop on the side of the road, go back to automatic mode, press P, wait 1 second, and press D before the car became normal again. Not sure if it was limp mode because my CEL did not come on.

Luckily I was not on a highway. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hmm, the only thing that pops to my mind hearing a speed (not rpm) limited is
"The torque converter locks above 20 mph and stays that way, so you don't get the smooth yet squishy automatic feel."
Just a thought....but most likely software I'd guess. Do you have a pretty fresh ECU/TCU update?

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did a quick check with the dealer, I have the latest software installed, seems like a transient issue, but will be more cautious from now on in case it happens again!

·
Registered
885 Posts
software update

Does anyone know how access/obtain a list of Evora ECU and TCU software updates - release dates? Mine was updated last July.

The only problem I've had on occasion (not often) is rough idle on a cold start. Once I clear the CELs, all is OK.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Just told a new ECU/TCU software release was on 7/1/2014. Mine is in getting it today.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Got the software update. Didn't fix the sliding into 4rth when cold issue tho.

Here is the data;

07/24/2014
"Updated ECM to F132. TCU to E132. Reset ECM and cleared faults."

I sure wish there was a software release and changes style of list for this topic from Lotus. It would be nice to see what was addressed in each release and when.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanks for the update. Agreed that a change list from one update to the next would be incredibly helpful. It would also be great if we could remove our ECM/TCU and mail it to a dealer for the updates for those of us several hours from the nearest dealer. I don't even know how feasible that is but it would be very nice.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
but lc - i find the the first cold shift to 4th is nothing if you just back off the gas. let it coast for a second and it is over in my case at least. pretty easy to live with and i get a somewhat similar overrev problem with my manual Cayenne periodically.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Is there a possibility that it's a mechanical issue instead of a software glitch? It just seems odd to me that some owners experience problems and others, like me, haven't had any problems. If it's an ECU issue, shouldn't we all be having the same issues?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a possibility that it's a mechanical issue instead of a software glitch? It just seems odd to me that some owners experience problems and others, like me, haven't had any problems. If it's an ECU issue, shouldn't we all be having the same issues?
Software stuff is hard to say :evil: You get race conditions and weird bugs that only reproduce under rare situations, that's why not everyone may experience the glitch.

·
Registered
885 Posts
software vs hardware

As a retired software engineer, there was always finger pointing between us programmers and the hardware designers. I get the feeling Lotus thinks most can be corrected by a software fix.

The IPS does feel like it gets better and better with each update, i.e., smoother. I just had the most recent ECU and TCU updates.

I always felt my issue with rough idle on a cold start was hardware, i.e., a poor connection. The car was at the dealer for a week being tested. After the software update insisted by Lotus was installed, there was no change. Gold pins were replaced in the throttle body connector, and the car now starts like it is supposed to.

The software and CEL detection in the car is too complex. I suggested to Lotus to delay issuing CELs until the car has been running for 15 seconds or so to give the idle a chance to smooth out.

I tend to agree, if it is a software issue we should all be having the same problems. Until proven otherwise, I'm going with faulty connectors. When I first got the car, it would issue CELs whenever I washed it. After the service tech sealed the connectors in the engine bay, no more CELs.

·
Illegal Alien
5,258 Posts
As a retired software engineer, there was always finger pointing between us programmers and the hardware designers. I get the feeling Lotus thinks most can be corrected by a software fix.

The IPS does feel like it gets better and better with each update, i.e., smoother. I just had the most recent ECU and TCU updates.

I always felt my issue with rough idle on a cold start was hardware, i.e., a poor connection. The car was at the dealer for a week being tested. After the software update insisted by Lotus was installed, there was no change. Gold pins were replaced in the throttle body connector, and the car now starts like it is supposed to.

The software and CEL detection in the car is too complex. I suggested to Lotus to delay issuing CELs until the car has been running for 15 seconds or so to give the idle a chance to smooth out.

I tend to agree, if it is a software issue we should all be having the same problems. Until proven otherwise, I'm going with faulty connectors. When I first got the car, it would issue CELs whenever I washed it. After the service tech sealed the connectors in the engine bay, no more CELs.
while I agree with most of what you say, I don't agree that "if it is a software issue, we should all see it ".. this is exactly problem of trouble shooting are the conditional loops in software, so many paths and the faulty path may only be accessed by some users one out of a million times. No two engine parameters and external factors are the same. Close yes, same no. Different ambient temps, different engine cooling, load, etc.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
but lc - i find the the first cold shift to 4th is nothing if you just back off the gas. let it coast for a second and it is over in my case at least. pretty easy to live with and i get a somewhat similar overrev problem with my manual Cayenne periodically.
Yes, I am getting used to it. It usually only happens once about 50-75 feet from my driveway. Either less or more gas kicks it in. A gentle takeoff allows it to rev a bit before it engages. I usually wait a sec and then give it more gas.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Yes, I am getting used to it. It usually only happens once about 50-75 feet from my driveway. Either less or more gas kicks it in. A gentle takeoff allows it to rev a bit before it engages. I usually wait a sec and then give it more gas.
mine is almost identical but about 400 plus metres

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
To close up this topic this was due to a TCU relearn needing to be done. Once complete the shift strangeness went away completely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts