The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody play any of the online racing sims out there? I am looking for a winter hobby since it should be pretty rainy and I will be lucky to drive the car once a month starting November. I have Forza 4 and its fun and all but getting a bit boring. I play iRacing at the Lemay mueseum on a CXC simluator but at $37,000 they were a bit spendy -eek-

I don't know what wheel to get, I am looking at the T500RS which i have found for $550 but its a bit spendy for a wheel for a sim that i have never played. I had a force feedback wheel way back when and it was horrible, so i am scared to try something new even with all the new technology out. I am going to try and find a local retailer so I can try it out first.

Now to the sims themselves, anybody have a preference of one over the other? Simraceway is newer so it may be more realistic or better technology but also does not have as many tracks and personally i like driving on real tracks not made up fake ones. I searched through a few pages but couldn't find much info so hopefully somebody here can fuel my winter hobby.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
BMW330ciandr6,
He has Klipsch pro media sound system in his picture; it is an awesome system.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So... i have decided the racing sim idea is a bad one and I am just going to take up cocaine and heroin. For financial reasons the drugs would be both less expensive and less addicting :D

Yes Dennis I do want to check out that sim, that is a bit more than i had in mind since my current computer doesn't even meet the requirements by half. I was thinking $500 cheapo computer with expandable video card ports, and some cheapo 720P 20+ inch monitors and possibly going all out on a nice steering wheel.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Metrocube and Boardkat, if you dont' mind me asking, what did it cost to build these simulators? I am thinking about starting with one screen and possibly adding two more as funding allows but then again, screens are only $140 or so depending on how the video card setup works.

Metrocube it looks like you actually race/drive the tracks and cars in the game, how real of an experience is this? Do you consider it actual training almost as good as the real thing or just a fun experience because thats all I am looking for.

I am just trying to get a budget together and see if this is something I want to actively pursue, between $600 a year on go kart racing at the indoor track and thousands on track days this may be a bit overkill but looks like a good long term fun/value ratio.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iracing, thrust master wheel 120 bucks.

The online races are adrenaline filled. Iracibg impresses the heck out of me. I can't believe how real the steering feels. As fun as it is, it takes real work.

Just be careful, metro cube is very slow and can't keep his car in a straight line.
I am worried about the online "safety rating" in iRacing, i can keep a real car on the street but when i played the limerock course on a CXC simulator i couldn't get a full lap without spinning or going off course, yet when i played Laguna(Never driven in real life, just lots of Forza) I ran fastest time of the day in my only 7 minute session.

So the thrustmaster for $120 is good enough huh? i was thinking about spending the $600 for the top of the line thrustmaster because the steering and feel makes or breaks the game. i would easily substitute realistic steering for sound and graphics.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
I tried iRacing for a while. I got a free Radical when I signed up for the game through Radical Cars.

The Radical was easy to drive fast, and felt great. The other car that I was allowed to drive was the Pontiac Solstice, and it felt horrible. I could not keep it on the track at all, and I've driven every racing sim since 1997.

I used a Logitech Driving Force Pro (PS3, PS2, and PC) for years, until it broke, and now I recently got the Fanatec CSR. Much better feel and is much much quieter! Works with PC, PS3, and XBOX.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts