The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a noob question but I searched the forum about loading Elige's onto a trailer. Folks have some pretty good solutions to avoid scraping the front lip on the ramp using DIY ramp extenders made from 2x8's etc. But those do not look like a precaution a commercil hauler would take. At least not with the kind of rigs I see new cars riding on for delivery. Am I wrong ?

thanx
Jeff

·
Registered
26 Posts
My Elise (with Exige front clam) was delivered two months ago. Enclosed trailer, pulled out and onto the road with no issues at all. They used a small bit of wood to assist and it worked perfectly. I have a video of the unloading if you’d care to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
"Commercial Hauler" ranges from a dude with a truck and an LLC to bespoke interstate corporations. I am cheap and tend to deal with the lower end, but, at least in the case of flatbed trucks, they usually have some assortment of lumber to help out. The high end guys tend to have very shallow loading angles and won't have much of a problem, especially if they are prepared with boards or ramps.You have to tell them what car they're picking up, so they'll let you know then if they think there'll be a problem.

If you have a splitter and an aftermarket diffuser, removing those beforehand is easy insurance either way though, but not necessary.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. I guess it makes sense they have to deal with this in thier business and know what to do. I figure I'll have to ship whatever Lotus I get, and the car's unique problems (I meant features) make me nervous.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
209 Posts
You can always ask to unload it yourself. I was able to unload my Lotus off the truck myself. The guy was happy to let me do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used, Plycon, the company that originally shipped the Elise to the dealers. Enclosed trailer, knew all about the low ride height and fragile bits. You want someone who specifically knows about the Elise. 4 inch clearance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had to use an enclosed trailer where the ramp is the back door hinged at the bottom so a pretty gradual slope and I scraped my aftermarket front lip but no worse than what you'd experience with your driveway or other ramps.

Make sure your transport company is going to use the right rig before you seal the deal.

I watched like a hawk as the guy unloaded. I figured he had more experience with his rig and with the added pressure of being watched, probably did better than I could have. Good luck!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I helped a member here purchase an S240 and load it and the stock parts for shipment to the East Coast. There was a supercar already in the transport trailer and the Lotus was easily taken care of.

San

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More good info...thanx, all. I've seen pics of those trailers where the back door lays down to become the ramp. the floor of these is quite low to the road as you point out.
Have not heard of Plycon so maybe I'll contact them.

I thought my old Alfa had fussy handling requirements !!

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts