The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about ordering LSS and hardtop and bypassing touring cause all i want is the leather seats anyway...how hard would it be to have either leather or alcantara inserted into the cloth area???...anyone have experience doing something like this?...I saw a guy do his M3 seats like this with mid portion in grey alcantara and it looked very nice.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Ask your dealer where they get interior work done. Or ask a Toyota dealer. No Toyota is sold with leather interiors, the cars are shipped to the dealer and they have a local shop do them. At least that what the local Toyota guy said when I was looking at an MR2 a long time ago.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Lotus Fury said:
Ask your dealer where they get interior work done. Or ask a Toyota dealer. No Toyota is sold with leather interiors, the cars are shipped to the dealer and they have a local shop do them. At least that what the local Toyota guy said when I was looking at an MR2 a long time ago.
Um, I think (no I know) he was telling a lie...

Of course they come with leather from the factory

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
raggedy1 said:
Um, I think (no I know) he was telling a lie...

Of course they come with leather from the factory
My '93 MR2's leather was custom done locally....... farmed out by the local dealer.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My 91 MR2 and my 2002 MR2 Spyder are both factory leather.

At least one distributor was putting leather on at the port for cars that came with cloth, but trust me, leather was a factory option too.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I have touring with red leather. I am considering posting a thread to see if anyone with black leather or nontouring black cloth is interested in some type of trade with me. I have a Graphite Grey car and originally wanted a black interior. Perhaps we can work something out.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Lotus Fury,
Now I think I know what you friend was talking about:
In the 80s and into very early 90s, Honda cars did not come with factory leather interiors - they were all dealer installed options.

cars didn't even come with AC from the factory. That was a port installed option as were CD player/changers.

maybe that's what you're buddy was talking about...

·
Registered
687 Posts
mact3333 said:
how hard would it be to have either leather or alcantara inserted into the cloth area???
Any decent auto upholstery shop should be able to do this pretty easily. Someone here has already replaced the inner sections with yellow leather.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
If you go to those lengths to do your seats, why not just do the whole seat in alcantera, not just the inserts, can't imagine it'd be that big a price difference.
Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts