The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are multiple threads on steering wheel replacement for the Esprit but rather than revive an old post from the dead I figured I’d pool all you Esprit owners on various ideas for this age old issue with the car.

I know a forum member, @duneomatic was manufacturing a kit to adapt the Evora’s airbag steering wheel to the Esprit way back in the 2014-2017 timeframe, but in a later post he announced that he was no longer shipping direct and that JAE would be carrying the kit. Unfortunately it looks like that never happened as other members have called JAE asking about the kit and their inquires were met with confusion.

There’s also been a few mentions of adapters for Isuzus, one possible option from OMP, etc. The RAID steering wheels that were popular many years ago are no longer being produced and it appears that sourcing an Evora wheel and all of its associated components is extremely difficult. Some members who bought the kit from @duneomatic eventually gave up their search for the wheel and sold off their kits. ☹

So at the end of the day, what are my options here? What have other Esprit owners done in this area? Looking for feedback from more recent swaps, not something from 6-8 years ago since it appears that most of those older components are no longer available. I know Momo’s always an option but whatever I do I want A) the airbag to still be functional, and B) the Lotus logo on the wheel thus making it appear as factory as possible.

If there isn’t a current solution that’s relatively straightforward and complete and doesn’t require heavy modification to the column and wiring I think I’ll remove this upgrade project from the list and just leave the hideous GM wheel in place. It’s not like it affects the performance of the car. It just looks so bad when you look in the window of this beautiful exotic and lo and behold there’s a steering wheel out of a GM minivan! 🙄

Thanks all,
Eric

Reactions: lawdog91SE

·
Registered
812 Posts
How handy are you, I think you could use the Isuzu adapter and make a simple plate with the bolt pattern for the Evora wheel and bolt it all together.

I see the Evora wheels for sale from time to time, but I see the Elise wheels much more often and much less $$.

Does 91 have air bag? I cant remember. If not what about a Momo or other aftermarket.

BTW there is a Raid wheel for sale on E bay but no adapter.

If you could get your hands on the Raid Adapter, pretty sure you could drill holes in it to mount the Evora/Elise wheel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
JAE should be able to get the Evora wheel and airbag. I ordered mine no problem but yes this was like 2 years ago. I gave the instructions that came with one of last kits I found available. There is a simple jumper to reword dual stage airbag to work with earlier single stage airbags which just blew up full power regardless of the need back then if it was triggered. Plus pictures of all the parts might help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Erik L I’m handy enough. Decent welding skills and I can hand machine basic parts, just not sure how much custom work I really want to put into this project.

The ‘91 does have an airbag, hence the hideously ugly GM steering wheel.

-Eric

·
Registered
812 Posts
I figured with your formula car background. I dont think its much more than 3/8 inch thick aluminum disc with some holes drilled in it.

Maybe try it with a used aftermarket wheel and if it works out buy the evora or elise wheel and change the bolt pattern.

I am going to try it some day. I guess you saw how you add the resister to fool the SRS light....and your family in to thinking you did not by pass the safety /-:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Has anyone tried to skin the cat the other way, i.e., find a better GM wheel that fits? No question the Evora or other Lotus wheel would be preferable if there were an easier way to do it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Did GM ever make an attractive wheel...surely they did. Maybe not until the late 2000s though

Seems like all the corvette wheels were horrible.

·
Registered
812 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
I wonder if Lotus used the wheel but changed the plate on the back with the spline. I was looking at the mid 90s corvette wheels and they look pretty much the same as the Esprit wheel

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
You missed the part where the steering shafts are completely different
Apparently when they went to the cute wheel, different shaft, so fabricating or welding required

·
Registered
53 Posts
The internal splines inside the hole is the hard part to machine in adapter plate that needs a special tool to do. The rest would be fairly easy.

·
My car sneezes
652 Posts
Ahem ;)

It's funny you bring this up, I just picked a pair of adapters from the broacher, Unfortunately they are both spoken for.

The internal splines inside the hole is the hard part to machine in adapter plate that needs a special tool to do. The rest would be fairly easy.
Actually like I mention in the above thread, splines not an issue. My biggest issue I have is finding a low profile airbag connector. There's actually very little room between the top of the steering shaft/top of the nyloc nut & washer stack and the airbag. My solution so far has been to just shave down a generic off-the-shelf connector. @duneomatic uses a nice connector but I don't know his source.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts