The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if it would be an easy task for someone to steal wheels off a Lotus. I don't think anyone uses our lug keys? At least I've never seen one before that looks like a gear. :)

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
Ok............I'm in for a set of Rotas or other lightweight wheels...... let me know.... I won't talk !! rotfl

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Where there's a will there's a way, but our wheels don't fit a lot of cars out there, so the black market is pretty limited.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Just wondering if it would be an easy task for someone to steal wheels off a Lotus. I don't think anyone uses our lug keys? At least I've never seen one before that looks like a gear. :)
You looking for a "five finger discount" on a new set?

:D

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
haha ya'll are funny.

nope. neighbor told me a young teenager was snooping at the rear wheel by pulling the cover slightly up to see it. Thought maybe this kid wanted to jack my wheels later on. WTF?

Maybe someone's itching to catch a beatdown.

ebay sells 8, 9, 10 point star keys. They don't look like they'll fit the Lotus lugs.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Your answer = Taurus, The Judge...

I believe someone went over this before :D

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
haha ya'll are funny.

nope. neighbor told me a young teenager was snooping at the rear wheel by pulling the cover slightly up to see it. Thought maybe this kid wanted to jack my wheels later on. WTF?

Maybe someone's itching to catch a beatdown.

ebay sells 8, 9, 10 point star keys. They don't look like they'll fit the Lotus lugs.
My guess is he pulled up the cover to see the wheel badge and see what kind of car was under the cover. Easiest way to do it.

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My guess is he pulled up the cover to see the wheel badge and see what kind of car was under the cover. Easiest way to do it.
exactly

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...do four-lug lotus wheels fit any other car?..i suspect that other than a handful of folks up in new jersey with displays in their headrests, there's absolutely no aftermarket for stolen wheels from our cars...

...one of the nice perks exotics offer over a honda civic...

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
A friend says only inset nuts are safe.
He has had to remove a lot of locked wheels and he breaks the stud off.
He says enough studs (8) or thicker diameter studs will do it.
You still have to protect the nuts from being turned.

There is a very good wheel lock, but it is made for large rims and is about $200 per rim.

There are a lot of idiots that don't know rims aren't all interchangeable.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Your answer = Taurus, The Judge...

I believe someone went over this before :D
Where does one place a judge in an Elise. I used to keep it in my 350z...but can't find a suitable location in the elise...and the threads I've seen aren't very concealed.... Judge is the perfect car gun IMO.

I don't see the wheels as being a hot ticket item...they aren't 24" and Chrome...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
...do four-lug lotus wheels fit any other car?...
Mini's.

Mind you, might look a bit odd with 1" bigger rims on the rear!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
ebay sells 8, 9, 10 point star keys.
"Star" keys are properly called "Torx" head bolts, and they are nothing like the 10 sided driver needed to remove our OEM lugs. I've looked around quite a bit for an alternative driver (something that directly snaps onto a torque wrench) and have not been able to find one.

I'd say that the Lotus lugs are unique in the US, and you aren't going to find a thief with the proper driver. Yes, anyone can buy one (cheap) at a Lotus dealer, but stealing wheels is not usually something that is planned weeks ahead of time (so they even know that they need to buy a new driver).

My car was one of the early ones that came with the locking lugs. They are now sitting in a bag in my garage, having been replaced with standard (Lotus) lug bolts - I rate the chance of my wheels being stolen as very low...

·
Registered
347 Posts
"Star" keys are properly called "Torx" head bolts, and they are nothing like the 10 sided driver needed to remove our OEM lugs. I've looked around quite a bit for an alternative driver (something that directly snaps onto a torque wrench) and have not been able to find one.

I'd say that the Lotus lugs are unique in the US, and you aren't going to find a thief with the proper driver. Yes, anyone can buy one (cheap) at a Lotus dealer, but stealing wheels is not usually something that is planned weeks ahead of time (so they even know that they need to buy a new driver).

My car was one of the early ones that came with the locking lugs. They are now sitting in a bag in my garage, having been replaced with standard (Lotus) lug bolts - I rate the chance of my wheels being stolen as very low...

Tim, where do you live again?...oh and if your touring wheels are missing tomorrow...I know nuttin about it....;)

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I'd be more worried about the thief using the proper jacking points before they stole the wheels to the car... the thief would crack the fiberglass if he was in a hurry... pretty much totaling the car.. lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts