The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like the whine of a supercharger when Im on the gas good. It could be just me though.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I think my n/a 4runner whines more than my n/a elise :huh:

Then again it's hard to hear the engine over the exhaust in the elise

·
Registered
469 Posts
they make lots of noises, but the shifter cables definitely do make a whining sound. Put your hand on the shifter/wiggle it around a little bit and see if that helps or changes it. There are some ways to minimize that, but why bother....

mg

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesnt bother me at all.... I was just stating. It does make a lot of different noises though. Its almost impossible to know if something is wrong with the car because it sounds like its broken even when its new.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Sounds like the whine of a supercharger when Im on the gas good. It could be just me though.
Kind of off topic... but I laughed when I saw your screen name. I'm not sure if you got it from the video on the Internet where the dude is freaking out the little kid by yelling "it's tha monstaaaaa" at him rotfl

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the whine too much. I used to think mine would do that too but now I'm not sure (can't hear it over all the other noises).

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Nah...it's just you...

whining that is...:D

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Kind of off topic... but I laughed when I saw your screen name. I'm not sure if you got it from the video on the Internet where the dude is freaking out the little kid by yelling "it's tha monstaaaaa" at him rotfl

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the whine too much. I used to think mine would do that too but now I'm not sure (can't hear it over all the other noises).
Link?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
One thing to note is that the cams in the Elise's engine is chain driven. Most cars (at least it seems so) are belt driven now days and that's what people are used to. One of the main reasons (but not necessarily the main or only reason) for the use of belts is that it is quieter than a chain - the belt is quieter but needs to be replaced. A chain is more noisy, but lasts a long, long time. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
There is definitely a whine, especially when you hit 2nd cam on the NA motors. After I got the turbo though I can't hear it anymore, the intake and exhaust drown out any other sound when I'm stepping on it :D

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I notice a really cool sounding subtle whine at around 5-4k , usually as I am coasting down from a higher speed to prepare to stop. It sounds wicked cool to me, like a faint supercharger kind of sound, no complaints here about it as long as it does not mean something is about to break !

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just noticed this last night. The whine was from ~5-8k rpm. So i did a search and found this thread. The thing is, i have about 5k miles under my belt on the Elise (21k total) and have never, ever noticed it before. What caused the concern was that i had just performed some service and now I hear a new noise. I was winterizing the car so i changed oil/filter, trans gear oil, and added some Sta-bil as well. 10 ounces, a little too much actually. (apparently i cant read instructions) I didnt think anything of it until now. The sound is rpm dependent. Definitely the engine, not the tranny. I checked the engine oil and cant seem to get a definate level, although i know i used the correct amount and type. (any tips?)

No way the Sta-bil could cause this, right? Am i being paranoid?

This was the last drive of the year so I dont want this hanging over my head all winter. :(

JP

P.S. I think I had the camera running during the drive yesterday, maybe i captured it. If so, I'll post for the experts to analyze.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have heard that whine quite often before in my car but then soon realized after some careful observation that the whine was coming from my girlfriends mouth. Problem will be adjusted if it continues.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Trust me, the S (or SC) whines ALOT more than you think it does. You might get a faint sound from the chain drive, but try listening to a video of a supercharged Exige where someone is really getting into it...the noise is unmistakable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts