The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only a few months into my research to buy either an Elise of Exige. Would be my first Lotus.
I am noticing that many Elige's for sale nationwide seem to be on the market for some months before selling.
Is there a reason, or is the market place of Lotus sellers and buyers so rarified and thinly spread that it just takes time for them to connect up ?

Cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
324 Posts
They seem to sell pretty quickly on here. If you're talking about dealers trying to sell Lotus on Autotrader at $10k above market value, then yes, I would expect them to take a while to find a sucker...er....the right buyer.

·
Registered
488 Posts
They seem to sell pretty quickly on here. If you're talking about dealers trying to sell Lotus on Autotrader at $10k above market value, then yes, I would expect them to take a while to find a sucker...er....the right buyer.
Yup. I sold mine here. Lots of interest, found the right buyer within 10 days. A fair price, complete service records, knowledge of--and a genuine regard for--the car have a lot to do with it.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
It depends

IF you happen to find the right person who wants what you are selling they can go fast

There a ton of people who want a particular color[always not what you have] or want super low miles or whatever it is that isn't what you are selling

Mostly in my experience lots of people who cannot afford what they want......

Funny there is a whole wide world out there that isn't this website, and dealers will sell cars for money you cannot understand because some buyers just buy a car that is in front of them without research

took me 2 years to sell my Seven, and the dealer I sold it to marked it up and sold it in a few months, described it in his sales lit as nicest he'd seen.

Shrug

His buyer obviously wasn't here, or craigslist or ebay or hemmings........

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feed back to you all.
Now that you mention it I have seen some that sell fairly quickly.

Guess I should expect it to be a bit of a different kind of market for such a unique car, and that buyers have a pretty unique set of characteristics in the car they want, as you point out, exigegus

Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are a lot of factors to consider. I looked for 8 months before I bought mine. Ended up buying one that I had my eye on that entire time. Others that had my interest sold before I could pull the trigger. Some buyers will be very picky with color, miles, clean title, options, year, etc. The number of buyers and sellers varies at any time.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
Correct plural is Lotus cars, not lotus's or lotuses. Yours is possessive.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Actuallly, drop the 'cars.'

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anything under $30k seems to be going pretty quick. Although some higher mileage, beat up ones don't seem to be selling (at least from watching the listings the last few weeks).

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Anything under $30k seems to be going pretty quick. Although some higher mileage, beat up ones don't seem to be selling (at least from watching the listings the last few weeks).
It seems completely random to me, I don't think price is the big factor. The market may be so small that location becomes more important.

If a guy in Iowa wants a blue car, and a guy Minnesota has one, boom it sells, while one in Florida might languish

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL - I like the grammar info. English was never my best subject, but I am always wiling to learn.... :)

Actually "Loti" sounds like something one of my nieces will nickname the car when I get it... !

Cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, and you know there is something unique when the company puts out a press release on the grammar and terminology to be used with their cars !

Love it.....

Reactions: kmhepler

·
Registered
9 Posts
It seems completely random to me, I don't think price is the big factor. The market may be so small that location becomes more important.

If a guy in Iowa wants a blue car, and a guy Minnesota has one, boom it sells, while one in Florida might languish
Location is certainly a factor. West coast cars will probably sell faster. Wirewheel also seems to sell cars pretty quickly because they are easy to work with. A random Lotus in the middle of the country might not sell as quickly.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Thank you

My last name is Harris and there are similarities. When people try to make it plural or much worse possessive they try to say things that can hardly be spelled much less pronounced.

Btw, sold our Evora on here in two days for asking price. But it is a special edition. And still in touch with the second owner years later across the continent.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Actuallly, drop the 'cars.'

Darn, was going to post this press release but you beat me to it. Love how they use the word “horrible”. Have quoted that release many times.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I noticed Exige's and Exige S seem to sit on the market for months... and some are selling in the low to mid 40's now. Not too long ago these were selling around 50k easily.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Cheapest I have seen is this one ----> https://www.siennamotors.com/inventory-details/2007/Lotus/Exige/SCCVC11167HL82684

And that dealer is advertising 35k AFTER a 2k deposit. Kinda shady pricing plus all their unknown fees of probably 3k+ for a REBUILT title one.

Every other one i see on AutoTrader is listed for over 50k.

Maybe I am just trying to convince myself that i am making a wise decision rebuilding my 2007 Exige S and spending tons of $$$ on all new oem parts lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts