The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, you read it right. Car will be idle for months, so I am thinking of buying a battery tender and take the battery out of the car as this is the only option. My concern is the drivetrain. would it be bad to leave it like that without battery?

Anything I should watch out before I leave the car? like leaving the gasoline full, half full? how about the engine oil and other oils?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Do a search for storing the car. For those of us in areas with sh*tty winters (salted roads) we store the cars for months at a time every year!

No need to take the battery out if you have a tender. Get an oil change before putting her away, and over-inflate the tires. Oh yeah make sure you have a full tank of gas and put some fuel stabilizer (e.g. "Sta-bil") into it.

Go on your trip and your car will be ready and waiting for you when you return.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to take the battery out due to my living situation. No choice. :(

I just had an oil change less than a thousand mile ago. Should I do another oil change?

So I should leave the tank full? A friend told me that it should be a quarter or less, so that's why I am asking 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
The nasties in your oil are already there after 1K miles of driving.

1/2 tank? 1/4 tank? WTF? That leaves lots of room for air and if that air has water in it... it can condense and now you've got water in your fuel system.

If you must take the battery out, get something that can keep the ECU powered and maintain your stereo's presets, etc.

I can only imagine how sh*tty it would be if your car "forgot" everything because it went without a battery for soo long. (But hey I may be wrong? I just don't worry about it because I rock a tender all winter long)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point about the ECU, and lol, if a car can 'forgot'. I don't really care about the radio, but not the ECU. I dont want that after I come back, then I put the battery and the car won't start. :(

Charliex or anyone, can the ECU forgot after a certain period of time without any current/charge?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Good point about the ECU, and lol, if a car can 'forgot'. I don't really care about the radio, but not the ECU. I dont want that after I come back, then I put the battery and the car won't start. :(

Charliex or anyone, can the ECU forgot after a certain period of time without any current/charge?
My understanding is after a certain period of time, the ECU will just revert to "new car" status, and will relearn your driving habits. You probably won't notice a thing. Charlie has also stated (if my memory is correct) that the basic ECU stuff (non-volatile memory) will last for 20+ years without a battery attached.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, you just make my day... lol... thanks.

I guess I should do the following
1. full tank of gas
2. over inflate tires

That's it?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Mine sits for 6 ( cold ) months a year, and starts right up in the spring. Battery Tender Jr......fill the tank with gas...DON'T forget the Stabil !!! I change the oil in the spring. If you have AD07's don't worry about them...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Yeah, you read it right. Car will be idle for months, so I am thinking of buying a battery tender and take the battery out of the car as this is the only option. My concern is the drivetrain. would it be bad to leave it like that without battery?

Anything I should watch out before I leave the car? like leaving the gasoline full, half full? how about the engine oil and other oils?

Thanks.
Well, if you go back to court, I believe you can get the judge to allow you to have your license back for the purpose of just driving to and from work.

jk

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is this 'sta-bil' about? What does it do? Will it do anything harm to the fuel system when the car starts using the gasoline when i m back?

cpforyou, lol, good joke. :) if you read my last couple days of posts, you would know where I will be heading for these months. :D but nevertheless, good thinking, but unfortunately, not gonna happen, ever.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know specifically what it does, but Sta-bil is a gas stablizer that slows the deterioration of the gas in your car. Every mechanic I know says to use it when you store the car.

Definitely fill the tank full !!!!

I too, roll my car occasionally to avoid flat spots. I think someone said this is pretty important with really soft track tires, not so much with ours, but I thought it couldn't hurt.

Depending on where you are storing it, some people will plus the tailpipes and other areas where mice or other critters like to snuggle in.
Kev

·
Registered
215 Posts
As far as the Sta-Bil goes I would put it in at the last fill-up that way it circulates thru the system and protects it.
Also if your in a position that you can I would put mothballs around the car to keep the mice away from it. It would be a bad thing if you came home and wanted to go for a ride only to find the mice destroyed the wiring harness.:mad:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a good idea, but I would have car cover covering my car while I am gone. The purpose is to reduce dust of the car. With car cover, I don't think putting mouthballs are necessary as I never get it, but who knows? Anyone get a rat inside your car with the car cover on the car?

·
Registered
843 Posts
You could always put your car up on jack stands rather than moving the car around to avoid flat spots on your tires.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I put my car up on jack stands, I am afraid of what the wheels/tires will do to the suspension as the wheels and tires are hanging there for 2 months straight. Oh, I can't take the wheels/tires off the car while on jack stand because I don't have space to store them. I think getting flat spots is better than having messed up suspension, unless my understanding is wrong.

I bought the sta-bil. it's a small bottle cost about $6. Should I dump it all to the tank? Or half? or a quarter? What's the right proportion?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you are saying your battery got disconnected with no battery tender for 3-6 months, and when you are back, the car just starts no problem?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
You could always put your car up on jack stands rather than moving the car around to avoid flat spots on your tires.
If I put my car up on jack stands, I am afraid of what the wheels/tires will do to the suspension as the wheels and tires are hanging there for 2 months straight.
Storing the car on jack stands is not a good thing. The weight of the tires/wheels have nothing to do with it - the springs will fully extend the suspend (full "droop"). The drooped suspension twists the rubber in the bushings of the suspension, and this can cause problems when left in this condition for long periods of time.

As for flat spotting tires, don't worry about that. It used to be a problem prior to radial tires, but it isn't a problem with modern tires. At worst, the tires may be "flat spotted" when you first start up the car, but after a short drive that warms up the tires, and they will return to normal. If you are really worried about it, inflate the tires to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewalls and remember to reset the pressure after you take the car out of storage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts