The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I posted this in another area yesterday looking for one SSR comp wheel for sale. I have just got off the phone with someone who can repair my wheel and I wanted to see what experience people have with wheel repair and is worth doing. My rear SSR comp wheel was damaged on shipment and my options are either repair or be stuck with 3 worthless wheels.

I track my car around 6-10 times a year, and that would be the primary use for my SSRs.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My rear SSR comp wheel was damaged on shipment
I'd contact the manufacturer or shipper and demand a replacement.

I've had wheels repaired before when they've been bent (pretty badly) but never from a crack. I'm sure it's possible but I wouldn't feel safe tracking on that wheel.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
If it was me I would say no, I would not trust that wheel. Even more so if you plan to track it. Sorry. :sad:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
That should be fine, they can easily repair the rim but usually not the hub/center. I think they will weld a piece of metal in there then grind off the extra and repaint the wheel. I would claim insurance on the shipment and make them ship you another one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd contact the manufacturer or shipper and demand a replacement.

I've had wheels repaired before when they've been bent (pretty badly) but never from a crack. I'm sure it's possible but I wouldn't feel safe tracking on that wheel.
Well, unfortunately, they were bought used and now you cannot get replacements.

The seller has been very helpful. The shipping company is willing to reimburse me for one wheel, not the cost of 4.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Well, unfortunately, they were bought used and now you cannot get replacements.

The seller has been very helpful. The shipping company is willing to reimburse me for one wheel, not the cost of 4.
Yep you'll never get $ back for all 4 since they only damaged one, doesn't matter if they are available or not. I'd take it to a good wheel repair shop and get it fixed and be on your way. Or use them as street wheels and use some LSS for track wheels.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That looksmore like a stress crack, i would grind a bevel and weld it . If the wheel balances Ok I would not hessitate to use it. But thats me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looksmore like a stress crack, i would grind a bevel and weld it . If the wheel balances Ok I would not hessitate to use it. But thats me.
Thats what the repair guy thought it sounded like. I sent him the pics to review. Thanks

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
suggestion: repair broken wheel, drive cautiously until you can find a replacement wheel, so the car is NOT handicapped too long

heres a number you can call: Discount Tire El Monte, CA. ask for Vic
they have a lot of knowledge on japanese aftermarket wheels, and maybe able to get you what you need 626-579-1182

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got off the phone with Vic. He seems to think that he can get a replacement. Thanks for the info. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts