The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a difficult job?
What is the weight of the oem elise flywheel?
That s111 fidanza piece is calling...
-Robert

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The engine is bolted directly to the transmission, with the clutch and flywheel in between. You need to either pull the engine, drop the transmission.

technically its not a difficult job, but... the reality is if you are asking the question you just asked, I cant recommend you to the job at home with no supervision.

don't mean that as an insult, just lots to steps you need to get correct. Lots of heavy lifting, lost of steps period.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
But it's for a Lotus...:shrug: No wait, that is the same fly wheel as.... then that means... oh dear.:wallbang:

As far as the install goes, I would recommend taking it to a professional. From what I recall however it requires removing a half shaft so that you can remove the transaxle. You will need to support the engine as well I believe, but I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Brian

·
Registered
894 Posts
I strongly recommend to not remove the engine. But you need to do the job as for, removing everything, the rear clam (the car interior...), the rear sub-frame and bla bla bla.

The advantage to not remove the engine is clear, don't need to remove the AC compressor, and no required to remove the coolant, which is a mess to put back, and remove all the trapped air.

You will need to remove the left transmission, and remove the main bolt on the rear and front support. Just loosening the right support.

Not a difficult job, but quite long.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The advantage to not remove the engine is clear, don't need to remove the AC compressor, and no required to remove the coolant, which is a mess to put back, and remove all the trapped air.
Usually, the AC compressor can be unbolted from the engine and moved to the side (don't know if this holds true for the Elise), and the coolant has to be removed and replace periodically anyway.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Tim Mullen,

I agree, it is easy to remove the AC compressor and the belt, but if I can not remove it, that's cool.

The coolant hose are easy to remove, but removing the trapped air is something else, the thermostat is a closed one, and the flow is like zero when the engine is running cold. And don't put a thermostat with a hole, and don't modify the thermostat, it will be hard to reach 160 deg when you are cruising fast. Honestly, the last time I removed my transmission, I did not removed the coolant, and my life was much easier after all. And anyway, I am not changing the hose everytime I am dismounting something.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can remove the transmission without taking the clam off. You have more then enough room to do everything you need to. The major key is removing the left rear lower control arm and supporting the engine(I do it from the bottom). A two post lift is not necessary but it really helps. When I did it I didn't have a transmission jack so I just took it out by hand. It wasn't that heavy but I'm a pretty big guy(6'2''). I won't go into details but you don't need to remove the clam to remove the transmission.

EB Turbo
DRS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts