The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 Elise with base wheels (16 front and 17 back), and I wonder if it is possible to replace the front ones with a set of base 17s. If it is possible, how can I solve the offset problem? TIA

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the offset problem you've created by putting the wrong wheels on the front of the car?

The base front wheel has a 31 or 32 offset, and the rear one has 36(?) offset. If I use the base 17s to replace front 16s, then I will have 4 or 5 mm offset difference

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
The base front wheel has a 31 or 32 offset, and the rear one has 36(?) offset. If I use the base 17s to replace front 16s, then I will have 4 or 5 mm offset difference
good luck with that endeavor, i'm sure it'll pay big dividends!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have a 06 Elise with base wheels (16 front and 17 back), and I wonder if it is possible to replace the front ones with a set of base 17s. If it is possible, how can I solve the offset problem? TIA
Why do you want +sized the front? It doesn't improve the handling or performance.

Geometrically, +sizing (increasing the diameter of the wheel) has nothing to do with the wheel's offset. The offset won't change. [Offset is the horizontal axial and the wheel diameter is a vertical axial perpendicular to offset axis].

So, in theory, if you have a 16" wheel with +30mm offset, and now you want to + sizing to 17" wheel, you should get same number offset wheel.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You can get 5mm spacers and longer studs at blackwatchracing.com

or you can get longer bolts at tunermotorsports instead of the studs

are you going to run 205/40-17 tires?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Yes, it's apparently possible... that CF Elise that showed up on ebay (and was later bought by a member here) had the backs on the front in the ebay listing, IIRC. I can't recall which wheels they were though.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Someone find him the picture of the carbon fiber car with all of the yellow accents that had the wheels on backwards when it was up for auction.

To Answer your question - a 5mm offset difference isn't going to impact the performance any worse than going to a 17 up front will, and it should fit just fine. What do you plan to do with the rear?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Kriss Kross comes to mind

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qbe63MtOv5o"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qbe63MtOv5o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Someone find him the picture of the carbon fiber car with all of the yellow accents that had the wheels on backwards when it was up for auction.

To Answer your question - a 5mm offset difference isn't going to impact the performance any worse than going to a 17 up front will, and it should fit just fine. What do you plan to do with the rear?
I was just thinking useing 4 base 17s on Elise but the tire size will be different; 205/45(40)/17/F and 235(245)/40/17/R. This is just a thought, and nothing has been done yet. I do not understand why people get angry about it.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I was just thinking useing 4 base 17s on Elise but the tire size will be different; 205/45(40)/17/F and 235(245)/40/17/R. This is just a thought, and nothing has been done yet. I do not understand why people get angry about it.
Not saying this is you, but explaining some of the sensitivity. Many (most?) of us have a Lotus because it is designed and built by the best chassis dynamics engineers in the business and we see noobs come here all the time and want to change wheels, tires, shocks, etc. before they have even driven the car (or learned how to drive one effectively). Those who are very good track or autocross drivers can improve on the suspension for those extreme conditions they can create, but for 95% of the owners, they will just screw up a good thing. We just hate to see that happen to our "babies". :D

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Not saying this is you, but explaining some of the sensitivity. Many (most?) of us have a Lotus because it is designed and built by the best chassis dynamics engineers in the business and we see noobs come here all the time and want to change wheels, tires, shocks, etc. before they have even driven the car (or learned how to drive one effectively). Those who are very good track or autocross drivers can improve on the suspension for those extreme conditions they can create, but for 95% of the owners, they will just screw up a good thing. We just hate to see that happen to our "babies". :D
√ what he said :clap: Car companies hire Lotus engineering to figure out how to improve their handling and suspension, they are considered one of the best in the biz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts