The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’m looking to purchase an Alpine headunit, with the Alpine Power Pack (small amp). The amp is so small that it will fit behind the speedometer. The Power Pack amp requires a 15 amp fuse. I believe the radio on the Elise has a 7.5amp fuse, so I will need run a power wire from the power pack to the battery.

3 quick questions:
1. Is it relatively easy to run the power wire from the dash to the battery? I’ve done it before with my Wrangler (jeeps are easy).
2. Can the wire be tucked away so it's COMPLETELY unseen running from the front to the back of the car?
3.Would it require any cutting or drilling to get the wire to the back?

I’m not near the car so I can’t determine how hard it will be. Also, I’m sure many of you are MUCH more familiar with the Elise.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sure, you can run few wires down the dashboard, through the shifter tunnel / center "console", into the bulkhead behind the seat, and through an existing grommet on the driver's side running to the engine bay, then through the battery wire grommet and into the trunk. It's not too hard, although you will have to pull a seat to remove the bulkhead and access the grommet. For 15A power you should be fine without needing to drill or expand any of the existing grommets.

The wire will be invisible in the cabin. You can tuck it out of the way but can't 100% hide it in the engine bay, if that's a huge concern.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Add a few more wire pairs at the same time in case you want some gauges in the future while at it!

·
Registered
306 Posts
1. Working in the dash SUCKS. Nothing technically difficult about it, access is a major pain in the balls.
2. Yes. I've done so myself
3. There's a grommet for the main wire loom behind the driver. That huge speaker panel has to come out, along with any harness bar (another major pain in the balls).

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,529 Posts
oh it can get finicky if you must dictate placement. The idea to run more than one line is very helpful. You won't want to do it again if it isn't necessary.

I had to run wires on separate occasions so I didn't take that free advice given on LT myself...

·
Registered
337 Posts
There's an unused 15A fuse in the box under the passenger dash.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Sure, you can run few wires down the dashboard, through the shifter tunnel / center "console", into the bulkhead behind the seat, and through an existing grommet on the driver's side running to the engine bay, then through the battery wire grommet and into the trunk. It's not too hard, although you will have to pull a seat to remove the bulkhead and access the grommet. For 15A power you should be fine without needing to drill or expand any of the existing grommets.

The wire will be invisible in the cabin. You can tuck it out of the way but can't 100% hide it in the engine bay, if that's a huge concern.
This^^^^^^^ Have fun!

·
Registered
1 Posts
1. Working in the dash SUCKS. Nothing technically difficult about it, access is a major pain in the balls.
2. Yes. I've done so myself
3. There's a grommet for the main wire loom behind the driver. That huge speaker panel has to come out, along with any harness bar (another major pain in the balls).
This is so true, I've just had a 2 hour session trying to pass wires from behind the radio to the centre divider (for gauges) it's a nightmare and I now have sore hands and a bad back and knees !

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm about to do this for an oil temperature gauge. Did you run the wires along the center of the car? How did you hide them from view since there are holes in the front center panel? I was thinking of taping to the inside top of the front center panel (above the holes), but concerned the tape may not hold with time.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I ran the wires for my oil gauge under the drivers sill cover. small wires can be run right in the grooves of the extrusion and exit the chassis ends in the back. The drivers side of the dash has open access to the radio and instrument cluster, where the passenger side is blocked by the airbag assembly and it is tough to fish through there.
I think my oil gauge wiring is in my 'answer to overcooling' thread

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just found the thread. Looks like a lot of great info. My elise has dual coolers still, so time to do some reading. Thank you exigegus!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts