The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When changing my oil today I noticed that the counterweight fell off my shift lever. I don't know when it happened, but the car has been driving fine.

Is it safe to drive the car without the counterweight?

BTW, I have a LETSLA.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Yeah FIL. LETSLA or stock or other, it is perfectly fine to drive and shift without the inertia weight. It just changes the feel of shifting and serves no real practical purpose otherwise. You can always stick it back on if you don't like the way it feels but by no means do you "need" it.

If you want to stick it (or a new one) back on let me know and I'll dig through the service manual to see if I can figure out the easiest/best way to do it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Roger what the Road Dad said. Check the bundle of hoses that run over the weight. My sense is that those hoses can rest atop the weight and, in conjunction with vibrations, cause it to eventually fail.

I didn't notice a difference in shifting. I just noticed the broken weight sitting near the firewall in the engine compartment.

Changing it out requires loosening a nut and driving (HAMMERING) a keyed pin out of the shaft that the weight sits on. Bit of a pain in the arse to be honest.

I actually need a spare weight if anyone has one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts