The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to further lower engine bay temps.
I only have the "U" bend wrapped.

I am concerned that wrapping the cat will potentially crack the welds over time.
-Robert

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If the wrap ever becomes wet, it will smell like something is burning when you drive...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
If you want to insulate any part of your exhaust system to block the heat, have it ceramic coated (i.e. Jet Hot coatings, etc.). It will protect the metal and form a very good insulating layer. Wrapping any part of the exhaust is just asking for the parts to fail more rapidly due to corrosion problems down the road...

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
What's your concern with the engine bay temperatures the way they are :confused:
I don't see any need to reduce them. If they are too high then you probably have some other issue.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
If you're thinking of coating headers, decat pipes, etc, i can personally recommend HPC Coatings in Arizona. I had a set of headers drop shipped to them for my Z and they did a fantastic job with them (I'm not afflilated with them at all). Ceramic coating is ok, but there are "better" options out there also. Ceramic/thermal coatings enable the headers/pipes to funnel heat away from the engine much more efficiently, all the while protecting the metal. Wrapping your exhaust traps that heat inside the metal, degrading it much faster

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
If you're thinking of coating headers, decat pipes, etc, i can personally recommend HPC Coatings in Arizona. I had a set of headers drop shipped to them for my Z and they did a fantastic job with them (I'm not afflilated with them at all). Ceramic coating is ok, but there are "better" options out there also. Ceramic/thermal coatings enable the headers/pipes to funnel heat away from the engine much more efficiently, all the while protecting the metal. Wrapping your exhaust traps that heat inside the metal, degrading it much faster
That's who I use to coat the PPE built headers ;)

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/ppe-forced-induction-header-first-look-54995/

I've only had an issue with them once (for MNLotus') header. They screwed up twice and put us behind schedule. Then they charged me an expedite fee because I told them to hurry up :rolleyes:

I'll still likely use them though... they do excellent work when you're not in a hurry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts