The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or so ago it was said in a letter from Lotus that dealers will have COMPLETE information about ALL of the cars they will receive in 2004 thanks to the new computer system, etc.

Is July 31st still the date for that info? Will dealerships know the N-Fo on that date?

I checked with a dealer yesterday about pulling up info on cars coming in and he still couldn't do it. He said he had no idea whether or not he'd be able to by the 31st.

Anyone Know?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Lotus wouldn't say such a thing and then not deliver on time, would they??

I would love to have an estimate of when my car will be built, but I'm not holding my breath that I will find out on August 1st.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Later Apex said:
Well someone was running down VIN numbers the other day, just wondering if they were using the new system to do it, etc
That was me. The VINs were from a whiteboard in the factory, not from any system :(

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Later Apex said:
[BI checked with a dealer yesterday about pulling up info on cars coming in and he still couldn't do it. He said he had no idea whether or not he'd be able to by the 31st.

Anyone Know? [/B]
"pulling up info"? Do they have some kind of Lotus-issued terminal or web login to some database? This is news to me.

I just suspected they check the Fax machine now and then, and let me know "nope, no idea AT ALL when the first or any car will arrive".

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
The plan was a central web database from Lotus Cars USA that dealers would log into. This would provide all kinds of information and the mouse click. Options, pricing, builds.

That software was supposed to be implemented a while ago and ran into some snags and delays.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Randy,

Do they need me to fly out and fix it? In the immortal words of Darth Vader --- You may dispense with the pleasantries commander, I am here to put you back on schedule.... you will find the emperor is not as forgiving as I am...

speaking of which if you didn't know, film #3 is going to be titled The Revenge of the Sith

Seriously though, access to legacy data via the web isn't hard to do, neither is piping it into a database to be massaged as required, let me know if they need help. I never did hear back from them about getting their website straightened out, maybe they'll take me up on this offer....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Later Apex said:
Randy,

Do they need me to fly out and fix it? In the immortal words of Darth Vader --- You may dispense with the pleasantries commander, I am here to put you back on schedule.... you will find the emperor is not as forgiving as I am...

speaking of which if you didn't know, film #3 is going to be titled The Revenge of the Sith

Seriously though, access to legacy data via the web isn't hard to do, neither is piping it into a database to be massaged as required, let me know if they need help. I never did hear back from them about getting their website straightened out, maybe they'll take me up on this offer....
Apex, if you work as well and as fast as you say than you are definetelly not "Lotus material" ;)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Or they can't afford him. :)

·
purveyor of lightness
4,066 Posts
Later Apex said:
You may dispense with the pleasantries commander, I am here to put you back on schedule.... you will find the emperor is not as forgiving as I am...
<--- (ahem) You may dispense with the pleasantries commander, I am here to put you back on schedule.... you will find the emperor is not as forgiving as I am...
if you didn't know, film #3 is going to be titled The Revenge of the Sith
<--- (sip sip) Yes, I did

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Randy Chase said:
The plan was a central web database from Lotus Cars USA that dealers would log into. This would provide all kinds of information and the mouse click. Options, pricing, builds.

That software was supposed to be implemented a while ago and ran into some snags and delays.
In the immortal words of Lotus: Coming fall 2003.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
All I know is that after August 1, the familiar Lotus Shrugged Shoulder and null schedule is going to get a lot harder accept.

I closed my eyes and checked again this morning, and... nope, I still feel no moral remorse at getting on multiple waiting lists. If Lotus still can't tell me which dealers might get a car in the next year, I just can't feel that bad in remaining undecided about which dealer to buy from.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I only placed a deposit at one dealer but perhaps should have placed with more dealers as well. It seems to me that the cars have to start arriving sooner or later. By the VIN numbers posted in another thread Lotus has already built somewhere around 300 vehicles, 40 or less dealer demos, that still leaves around 260 cars built that should be somewhere in between the factory and us, also the other thread about the interview with English says that they intend to deliver 1100 cars by the end of the year, hopefully he means calendar year and not fiscal, so that means 27 or so cars per dealer by the end of the calendar year, which just about takes care of all orders placed by the dealers thus far. now if English really meant 1100 cars by the end of the calendar year, than I'm fu%$ed! and I won't see a car unless I pay a big premiun till the second half of next year ( I was originally told delivery in December of 04!). Lets have faith that they are trying to deliver cars as fast as they can, that is all I can hope for!

·
Registered
758 Posts
fredg said:
I only placed a deposit at one dealer but perhaps should have placed with more dealers as well. It seems to me that the cars have to start arriving sooner or later. By the VIN numbers posted in another thread Lotus has already built somewhere around 300 vehicles, 40 or less dealer demos, that still leaves around 260 cars built that should be somewhere in between the factory and us, also the other thread about the interview with English says that they intend to deliver 1100 cars by the end of the year, hopefully he means calendar year and not fiscal, so that means 27 or so cars per dealer by the end of the calendar year, which just about takes care of all orders placed by the dealers thus far. now if English really meant 1100 cars by the end of the calendar year, than I'm fu%$ed! and I won't see a car unless I pay a big premiun till the second half of next year ( I was originally told delivery in December of 04!). Lets have faith that they are trying to deliver cars as fast as they can, that is all I can hope for!
Autoweek said Mr. English said 1100 cars would be made this calendar year, with 2400 being built in the fiscal year. But they left out all the " marks, which is only one step better than using a lot of " marks ...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Lotus Database

For what its worth, I spoke with Steve Brown (sales manager for Behlmann Midrivers Lotus of St. Louis) last evening. I asked if he had any information on the potentail build date for my order (I'm #16 on their list). The answer was no. He referenced and talked about the implementaion of the" new information system"; but indicated that he didn't think it would be operational until midAugust at the earliest. Basically, I concluded that in all likelihood I won't hear anything regarding the status of my order until Sept. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The most specific quote I've seen about build schedule is that one:
Lotus expects to bring in 1,100 Elises in 2004 and about 2,400 in the fiscal year that starts April 1, 2005, says John English, CEO of the U.S. subsidiary
This clears up some of the Fed vs ROW, and calendar/fiscal confusion (if it's accurate). I take this to mean:

1,100 Total between July and December 31.
(~300 built so far, so that seems reasonable)
Not enough to satisfy all orders #1-30 taken to date.

1,100 more between Jan '05 and March '05 (having ramped up)

2,400 more between April 05 and March 06 (perhaps pessimistic)

The allocation to each dealer will be a very big factor. If Symbolic San Diego is already getting six cars right now, then that doesn't bode well for some of the smaller shops.

Did I mention I wish I had called Galpin? Doh.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fredg said:
Apex, if you work as well and as fast as you say than you are definetelly not "Lotus material" ;)

But am I "Penske" material? ;)

Randy - They can afford me, all they have to do is hand me the keys to a red/biscuit/touring/sport Elise and I'll be happy, heck it could even be a lease for all I care... I'm not picky... ;)

·
Registered
637 Posts
The typical IT project goes over budget by 200% and over time my 270%. By the time that system is in place, everyone's going to have their cars...

Craigy

·
Registered
401 Posts
I heard the new Lotus system is running on the PowerPoint platform, which they are waiting to install when they get their first computer from Gateway. They also have to hire a technician to enter the data into PowerPoint, print it and mail the data out quarterly to dealers. It's a very cool system...very cool. Next year they plan on adding Excel for budgeting issues.

I couldn't resist...too many years in IT working with manufacturing Execs in Fortune 100 dinesaur companies where computers are still called green screens or CRTs.

When it comes down to it, I'd prefer Lotus focus on building cars and quality control. As far as spending profits to broadcast delivery dates, I could personally care less (unless I'm personally selling them the big dollar software, of course). I'd rather see that money go into training top quality builders, etc.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts