The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Is Lotus now importing the 2014 Evora's

18K views 188 replies 34 participants last post by  Randy Chase 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I know there were a few 2014s on dealer lots but those were the ones produced before the exemption expired. And, there was usually like 1 on the lot.

Now, I'm several several cars in dealer inventory which leads me to believe these are not the cars that were produced before the exemption expiration.

#3 ·
i really like that white on the cognac - get deviated black seats so they take less work and black out the roof and you have a killer combo imo

#7 ·
For Lotus the MY2014 started some time last summer and, yes, they have delivered ample Evoras to the US.

On TLF Bibs confirmed that Lotus decided that the easiest way to get around the airbag waiver vor 2014 was to simply deliver sufficent cars before its expiration.

Not sure what this means for 2015 though.

#8 ·
They are probably sitting quietly in some lot waiting for their request.

#9 ·
I just checked with Abe. The multiple 2014s listed on dealers sites you see where originally at port. There's also a shipment of 2014 on the way to the U.S. With several 2014 now available and more on the way, I suppose this means there's more incentive to move the 2013 (and I don't mean "incentive" as a factory rebate. Trying to pick my words carefully).

#11 ·
I didn't want to ask. :) Sort of puts him in an uncomfortable situation if I post it here. But, he did say more 2014s are on their way.

#13 ·
Exemption was through March 8

Doesn't seem to be any big secret about this: https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/03/08/2013-05477/group-lotus-plc-grant-of-petition-for-a-temporary-exemption-from-an-advanced-air-bag-requirement-of

In addition, the exemption allows a maximum of 450 cars. I recommend reading the entire document, as it has some interesting commentary and stats about Lotus, how its cars are used, how many it intended to produce in its request for a 28-month exemption, etc.

#16 ·
Doesn't seem to be any big secret about this: https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/03/08/2013-05477/group-lotus-plc-grant-of-petition-for-a-temporary-exemption-from-an-advanced-air-bag-requirement-of

In addition, the exemption allows a maximum of 450 cars. I recommend reading the entire document, as it has some interesting commentary and stats about Lotus, how its cars are used, how many it intended to produce in its request for a 28-month exemption, etc.

The issue is this part "The exemption remains in effect until March 8, 2014."

Since no new exemption is known to have been issued, folks have been curious about what that means for import of the Evora.

#15 ·
I guess "built" can mean different things for a Lotus! When the car is actually started? When a VIN is assigned? When it is finished? Could they have cars started before 3/8, and not yet finished? In the event, the number cannot be higher than 450. I don't know if that includes a restriction of model year. If a car was started (or a VIN assigned) before 3/8, and the car is not completed until after, can it be called a 2015? Many manufacturers release new model year cars in the prior calendar year. Just because Lotus hasn't typically done that doesn't mean it couldn't. They're certainly not selling 450 Evoras per year, so that could be 3 years' production. Would the exemption allow running changes?

#18 ·
That March 2014 extension was later revised it Nov 7, 2013 after government learnt Lotus had imported cars after demand to stop and before extension was granted. So importing has stopped months ago.

Regulations.gov

#21 · (Edited)
Randy, unless the dot gov link in that post is messed up, it takes one to the original extension issued March 2013 good until March 8' 2014. Unfortunately that extension was rescinded and Lotus fined for producing 51 cars after the new seatbelt law went into effect in September 2012, but built before the exemption was granted. With the exemption dates revised for period from Nov 7, 12 to Nov 7, 13, Lotus was able to retain 50 of these 51 in the US market but count them towards the 450 allowance. The 1 extra car had to be shipped out of US market.

#22 ·
Randy, unless the dot gov link in that post is messed up, it takes to to the original extension issued March 2013 go till March 8' 2014. Unfortunately that extension was receded and lotus fined for producing 51 cars after the new seatbelt law went into effect in September 2012, but built before the exemption was granted. With the exemption dates revised to Nov 12 to Nov 13, lotus was able to retain 50 of these 51 in the US market but count them towards the 450 allowance. The 1 extra car had to be shipped out of US market.

Yes, I think I was either just being hopeful and thought this was a newer extension... or just had a brain fade. The original March 2014 date was revised to no cars after Nov 7, 2013.

So we are back to the question I asked on that thread in January. What happens now with no new cars once these cars run out?

#23 ·
All we can do, wE hope and prey for early introduction of a 2015 model that is compliant. Or write letter to Lotus stating how important US market is.

#25 · (Edited)
so, if the exemption expred 11/13, 2014 cars we're seeing were "built" about 6 months ago, assuming Lotus issued VIN's prior to 11/13? Or 8 months ago if the cars had to be finished before the expiration of the exemption, or last month if the key is issuing the von not actual construction.

Here is the link to the revised exemption:

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/06/28/2013-15534/group-lotus-plc-modification-of-a-temporary-exemption-from-an-advanced-air-bag-requirement-of-fmvss

#26 ·
Lotus is so far behind current car manufacturers that they will never catch up. Their in-house engines were ummm... a joke, they dont have a choice they have to use others engines. Everything about the cars are 1980's technology, anything that even remotely up to date is borrowed from early 2000 cars made from other manufacturers. They have done a great job at using the parts from others manufacturers. They can comply with any DOT, EPA requirements if they want to, they just borrow newer parts instead of 20 year old cars. The requirements arent difficult, silly Chinese cars can comply that are utterly falling apart at the factory before they hit the road. Lotus is just full of people who really know very little about how things work. Honestly there is probably only a couple people at the firm that even understand and they are probably new and so far down the chain of command they get laughed at when bringing up suggestions. There are so many possibillitys for a pwer plant its not even funny. Its simple, swap the engine with a subaru turbo awd, bump it to 450hp, hundreds of pounds lighter, a better engine all around. Heck you could go with 3-4 engines, the new ford turbo and bump it to 400. Make the engine accessible too, these Lotus designers are near brain dead. Oh... and borrow an airbag from from another manufacturer and pay the extra $239.00 and stop using that as an obstacle for not meeting safety standards. I still love the Evora, just throwing out some frustrating details obvious to anyone who has the ability to put air in their tires.

#27 · (Edited)
Lotus is so far behind current car manufacturers that they will never catch up. Their in-house engines were ummm... a joke, they dont have a choice they have to use others engines. Everything about the cars are 1980's technology, anything that even remotely up to date is borrowed from early 2000 cars made from other manufacturers. They have done a great job at using the parts from others manufacturers. They can comply with any DOT, EPA requirements if they want to, they just borrow newer parts instead of 20 year old cars. The requirements arent difficult, silly Chinese cars can comply that are utterly falling apart at the factory before they hit the road. Lotus is just full of people who really know very little about how things work. Honestly there is probably only a couple people at the firm that even understand and they are probably new and so far down the chain of command they get laughed at when bringing up suggestions. There are so many possibillitys for a pwer plant its not even funny. Its simple, swap the engine with a subaru turbo awd, bump it to 450hp, hundreds of pounds lighter, a better engine all around. Heck you could go with 3-4 engines, the new ford turbo and bump it to 400. Make the engine accessible too, these Lotus designers are near brain dead. Oh... and borrow an airbag from from another manufacturer and pay the extra $239.00 and stop using that as an obstacle for not meeting safety standards. I still love the Evora, just throwing out some frustrating details obvious to anyone who has the ability to put air in their tires.
I think your post lacks any understanding of Lotus, engineering, what they do, what they have recently done, the car business, finances, federal regulations, and much more. How are you with an air compressor?

#28 · (Edited)
I think your post lacks any understanding of Lotus, engineering, what they do, what they have recently done, the car business, finances, federal regulations, and much more. How are you with an air compressor?
I guess your opinion is they are doing exactly as they should and they know what they are doing. Losing $, shrinking the already miniscule market and putting out products that are way behind the curve, the Evora is the only model sold in the USA and doesn't really meet requirements, who knows if it will in 2015.

Im a motorcycle guy, built motorcycles, not cars but have worked for custom off road cars manufacturers that out handle the Evora even on-road so yes i know a thing or two. Ive also imported container full of DOT approved and EPA approved vehicles and helped the manufactures get their approval. People who dont know much about DOT/EPA compliance issues always use the excuse how complicated it is, it is not. It takes about $20k to get a car tested and meet EPA compliance, ive done it, so yes i know a thing or two about that. Lotus uses existing engines so all they do is send in a silly 3rd party compliance firm report.

Also my business profits millions per years, high end medical diagnostic devices. So yes i do have grasp of finances that seem to be at a higher level than Lotus. If my business were to operate as Lotus i would be losing millions and asking for loans to keep me afloat and hope i can get a few people to cheer on my backward operation (looks like they found some too). I also know my market demands more each year and meet compliance.

Enough about myself, so it sounds like you think Lotus is doing a great job and manufacturing, market place and compliance issues. Would you be even surprised if Lotus went belly up in a few years? Doubtful, because economics seem to be void in your remarks.

Again i love the Evora, but please be realistic, Lotus has no clue about operating their business. Ask any dealership, Lotus mechanic etc. and they will give you the real scoop at how Lotus handles its operation.

I have no knowledge of air compressors but if decided to make one i think i could handle it.

#29 · (Edited)
I guess your opinion is they are doing exactly as they should and they know what they are doing. Losing $, shrinking the already miniscule market and putting out products that are way behind the curve, the Evora is the only model sold in the USA and doesn't really meet requirements, who knows if it will in 2015.

Im a motorcycle guy, built motorcycles, not cars but have worked for custom off road cars manufacturers that out handle the Evora even on-road so yes i know a thing or two. Ive also imported container full of DOT approved and EPA approved vehicles and helped the manufactures get their approval. People who dont know much about DOT/EPA compliance issues always use the excuse how complicated it is, it is not. It takes about $20k to get a car tested and meet EPA compliance, ive done it, so yes i know a thing or two about that. Lotus uses existing engines so all they do is send in a silly 3rd party compliance firm report.

Also my business profits millions per years, high end medical diagnostic devices. So yes i do have grasp of finances that seem to be at a higher level than Lotus. If my business were to operate as Lotus i would be losing millions and asking for loans to keep me afloat and hope i can get a few people to cheer on my backward operation (looks like they found some too). I also know my market demands more each year and meet compliance.

Enough about myself, so it sounds like you think Lotus is doing a great job and manufacturing, market place and compliance issues. Would you be even surprised if Lotus went belly up in a few years? Doubtful, because economics seem to be void in your remarks.

Again i love the Evora, but please be realistic, Lotus has no clue about operating their business. Ask any dealership, Lotus mechanic etc. and they will give you the real scoop at how Lotus handles its operation.

I have no knowledge of air compressors but if decided to make one i think i could handle it.
The basic mistake in the first post you made that I replied to, was an amazing assumption about things you really have know clue about. Many assumptions in fact.

The main mistake in your second post replying to me, is exactly the same thing. You have absolutely zero idea of what I know or think about Lotus. Zero.

You presume to think that that because I thought what you had posted was very ignorant, that I must obviously think they are doing a bang up job of things? Really?

#30 ·
Sorry, but I took your post to mean the same as he did. You INFERRED that because he was "ignorant" by way of his critique over the way Lotus is managed that the truer picture was of a company that is essentially on the right path or, at the very minimum, doing all it can given the circumstances.

Rather than get bogged down by silly semantics, why don't you use the occasion to better articulate your thoughts? He's challenging you over what he believes is a much more resolvable DOT issue than has been presented elsewhere as well as the essential updatedness of the car. Does he have a valid argument?

#35 · (Edited)
Lol, because we disagree with comments from idolman, we therefor hold Lotus Group up high as the worlds best run company.

PS, Aston Martin may stop importing current DB9 and Vantage due to recent failure to get an exemption on some new crash test criteria. They claim tests and mods to comply will cost some $30mm, spread over 670 cars that would gave been imported between Sept 1, 2014 and August 31, 2017. This is the fate of small producers in today's world.

#36 · (Edited)
Yeah, I still do not get the disconnect here. Incorrect statements that Lotus could easily comply with FMVSS No. 208. Statements about it only takes paperwork if use existing parts... (ignores testing..CRASH TESTING). Statement one can simply federalize for $20K. No... it costs millions. That nobody in Hethel has a clue except two low level people. That they could simply slap in a Subaru engine. I mean almost everything is simply and amazingly absurdly wrong. So because I say it is mind bogglingly wrong... I must think Lotus are perfect! Because that are the only two existing conditions in the universe. Agree with idolman or think Lotus are perfect.

PS, Aston Martin may stop importing current DB9 and Vantage due to recent failure to get an exemption on some new crash test criteria. They claim tests and mods to comply will cost some $30mm, spread over 670 cars that would gave been imported between Sept 1, 2014 and August 31, 2017. This is the fate of small producers in today's world

[sarcasm]Aston Martin are all a bunch of idiots because they could use some cheap part and fill out paperwork... that is all that is needed. It only costs $20K. Why would they lose millions in sales? [/sarcasm]

I did note in the documents from the feds, that they are tightening the exemptions. Seems like it will be a harder position for smaller car companies. There is however a fed bill being floated... to ease things up for small manufacturers. But not sure how likely that is of passing.

Attachments

#40 ·
Yeah, I still do not get the disconnect here. Incorrect statements that Lotus could easily comply with FMVSS No. 208. Statements about it only takes paperwork if use existing parts... (ignores testing..CRASH TESTING). Statement one can simply federalize for $20K. No... it costs millions. That nobody in Hethel has a clue except two low level people. That they could simply slap in a Subaru engine. I mean almost everything is simply and amazingly absurdly wrong. So because I say it is mind bogglingly wrong... I must think Lotus are perfect! Because that are the only two existing conditions in the universe. Agree with idolman or think Lotus are perfect.

[sarcasm]Aston Martin are all a bunch of idiots because they could use some cheap part and fill out paperwork... that is all that is needed. It only costs $20K. Why would they lose millions in sales? [/sarcasm]

I did note in the documents from the feds, that they are tightening the exemptions. Seems like it will be a harder position for smaller car companies. There is however a fed bill being floated... to ease things up for small manufacturers. But not sure how likely that is of passing.
$20k was targeting the EPA requirements Lotus has difficulty with, yes its under $20k but if you can get Lotus to pay millions i will do the paper work for them, it will take 3 months. Where do you even come up with these outrageous statements?

#37 ·
I used to own the AWD Subaru Sti. I love this car's engine and transmission. The engine is 2.5L flat 4 but produces 300 HP/torque (standard) and it has a very low center of gravity. This same engine is still in use for the new 2015 Subaru Sti after it was introduced back in 2004. If the Evora used this engine/transmission as idolman suggested, I would order one straight from the factory.

#39 ·
Yes it is superb! It seems as if it would fit too with a little bump in HP it be nice. I dont know the weight but im sure it would drop 150 lbs minimum even with the added awd drive train. I tend to look to the future rather than dwell in the past. Soon the Lotus production will be so low it can get exemptions due to volume or just flat out sell them as kits.

The 2014 sales #'s are going to be umm..... probably the lowest in history with the current logic. But if Lotus cant meet the crash testing, EPA, DOT guidelines with a car that weighs as much as a Mustang v8 with 4 full seats while a silly 2 seater Smart car that weighs half that can with ease (decent crash rate too). Lotus is in for a really hard time in the real world. Soon the Lotus will be heavier than an American V8 sport coup, with less crash rating (because it takes million to add side airbags and a few changes as some suggest), less fuel economy and handle close to the same. Soon we will have a cool looking car that a $25k mitsubisi/subaru or mazda will out perform, this is coming soon. Perhaps Lotus doesn't have the talent to meet guidelines a Yugo seemed to be able to do in the past or the Smart car does today at half the weight. Again still love the Evora, i just don't accept companies (and people) giving excuses it cant be done while other companies continue to do it with ease, yes with ease.

#43 · (Edited)
I have no idea why idolman is talking about with the EPA stuff. This thread was about the federal airbag exemption running out. I think he missed the main point. Lotus estimates that verification (crash testing) to meet the 5% female rule will end up costing $4m.

#45 · (Edited)
Comparing Yugo or Smart cars to Evora demonstrates the lack of understanding. For example, the Yugo. They were sold BEFORE the much more stringent two-stage air bags requirements. But even then, Yugo sold 141,651 cars in the USA market alone. So spending a little bit for testing can be absorbed. Lotus sold under 500 Evoras and will sell far less in the future. Yugo left the USA market in 1992. That was over 20 years ago.

450 now with new regs, vs 141,000 over 20 years ago---- So what is your point about Yugo?

Yugo of America said it would offer airbags as standard equipment on all of its 1990 models, following the introduction of seat belts and shoulder harnesses in the back seats of 1989 models. The bags, which inflate on impact to cushion a car's occupants, will be offered only on the driver's side.
This was only for the last two years (and the lower volume of sales) of their existence in USA.

So things were different then. :)

Smart sales globally were over 145,000 in 2005! and has Mercedes money and other backing. And still sold thousands in the USA. How is that similar to the Lotus Evora? See... this is where I am saying you do not seem to understand the car business and the financials when you type stuff like this.

I think almost everything you have typed is equally inane... frankly this is both amusing and frustrating, which then tells me... you are the best troll I have ever seen. And I have met some good ones over the years.
If that is the case... kudos. Truly I bow to you. I have been had.

#46 ·
Comparing Yugo or Smart cars to Evora demonstrates the lack of understanding. For example, the Yugo. They were sold BEFORE the much more stringent two-stage air bags requirements. But even then, Yugo sold 141,651 cars in the USA market. So spending a little bit for testing can be absorbed. Lotus sold under 500 Evoras and will sell far less in the future. Yugo left the USA market in 1992. That was over 20 years ago.

450 now with new regs, vs 141,000 over 20 years ago---- So what is your point about Yugo?

Smart sales have been more anemic, but still in the thousands, and has Mercedes money and other backing.

I think almost everything you have typed is equally inane... frankly this is both amusing and frustrating, which then tells me... you are the best troll I have ever seen. And I have met some good ones over the years.
If that is the case... kudos. Truly I bow to you. I have been had.
Again your missing the point, im targeting your insistence that crash testing, DOT, EPA requirements by insinuating are too difficult for Lotus to meet guidelines while avoiding that other manufacturers don't seem to have an issue, including the "current manufactured" Smart car, Yugo was being sarcastic as such a piece of garbage could "when" it was imported.

You can live in your world of understanding, i will live in mine. In my world the closest dealer is discontinuing the brand because the car doesn't sell and ill have to drive 1.5 hours to get service. I still don't know what your position is on the direction of Lotus, but perhaps you can offer your opinions to Lotus so they have a better understanding of automobile manufacturing, compliance and marketing. Keep in mind nostalgia will only get you so far when cars at half the price blow by you. There are some great cars coming out in the next couple of years that will unfortunately outperform the Evora in every aspect. If the opinion is to continue to use excuses why things cant be done Lotus will fail and that would be a shame. Again i love my Evora and its a great performing car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.