The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The blue car at the LA show really had a lot of red/purple in it. Is that accurate for 'Magnetic Blue' or was the color off or a lighting effect?

I guess what I really wanted was the 'Lazer Blue' and if the show color is right, the Magnetic is much more purple then the Lazer Blue.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
If you are looking at photos, I think red or purple is a lighting or camera angle artifact. In person, I thought it was quite blue. Nice, but a little dark for my taste.

Clyde said there was a big push to add the lighter Lazer Blue, but so far, not happening.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
this one's about the only outdoor shot we have of magnetic

looks really good to me, but it's very close to my current car's color.

I still might end up getting it.

Also, the C&D article had a magnetic blue car in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
The lighting for the show was poor over in the Lotus corner. It was better for cars in exhibits more in the center of each hall. The poor light darkened all the cars. The small models with the other colors were really in the shadows. The Nightfall blue appeared nearly black. The Starlight black looked very flat although it is a metallic color and virtually all the lines of the car were lost, making it appear to be lump of coal. One of the staff said in bright sunlight it looks like it needs dusting all the time. It is definitely not the concours black I had imagined. Magnetic blue looked better than I had expected but in bright sunlight will look several shades lighter. Also the Saffron yellow was fantastic and I think the best looking of the actual cars present. In the sun it might be too light for my tastes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for comments!

I think I am going to the show (again!) since its close. I might take my blue elise model which is a color I really like and compare it side by side with the magnetic blue at the show in those lights. Hopefully its the same.

Yellow has really got me confused now, though.....

·
Registered
442 Posts
If the image I've attached is indeed Magnetic Blue, then I don't think there is too much purple in the colour.

Sorry, I can't remember who originally posted this image (perhaps to the "other" site.)

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
AuS4,
Your choice of Magnetic blue with biscuit is a fantastic choice. Congratulations. Please let me know if the color in the photo is indeed Magnetic blue. I was under the impression it was Nightfall, but I can't believe it is after going to the show. Nightfall on the model is significantly darker than the car in the photo.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I believe that nightfall is indeed quite dark. My dealer (who also deals in Aston Martins) pulled the closest AM paint sample to Nightfall after talking with Lotus - his impression is that Nightfall is much like Mendip Blue, quite dark and only moderately metallic.

I think that this may be Nightfall, if Mendip is truly close.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Here's another shot of the same demo car as above, showing a bit more violet.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Some of the confusion comes down to not having true paint chips to compare to one another - the order guide didn't even have a photo of the nightfall blue (hence the reference to Mendip by my dealer). The rest is an artifact of digital cameras and never having a reference sample in the photos.

Either way, I'm reasonably sure that I'll be happy with Magnetic and Biscuit. (But we decided on the colour only while on the way to the dealership - Red, no - blue! Aaaghhh!)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe those photos are nightfall also. It is pretty dark, but in direct sunlight, the color becomes lighter and much more brilliant. Very nice looking under the sun.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I believe you are correct that this car is Nightfall. It is too dark for Magnetic. I have driven a Mendip DB7. To the best of my recollection it was slighly darker than this and not as much violet as you pointed out. Antrim blue, another Aston color, is darker still and really is black except in the brightest of lights.

·
Registered
113 Posts
the LA show car and the first pix are magnetic blue. When I got to the show before the crowds, the lighting was OK. Then it got crowded. but the magnetic blue is a very nice blue, and looked good with the stock black interior.

and buy the touring pack- any color....one offhand comment I got is that the 'loaded' cars might be the first ones off the line since the devalaution of the US dollar has been a big concern to Lotus mgmt, so much so that they were contemplating not rolling out the car this year and waiting for the exchange rates to improve.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
How close is the blue interior to the color we see above? This one looks very close to the blue interior for the Audi S4.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The blue interior we will be getting is not the light blue shown in the pics. That's the alcentra (sp?). Most likely, the blue leather is a very dark blue that you sometimes see on some euro cars. It's a deep midnight blue (almost black).

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
That is my impression, the light blue has to be Alcantera. I used to have a white 944S2 cab with metropol blue top and interior, nice mix actually.
The blue interior might lend itself well to the Saffron Yellow, the darker blue should blend in nicely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts