The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i first got the 2012 (stock exhaust) I could hear a click or a slap when I pushed the Sport mode button with the window down. I don't hear it anymore. I get a very small indication on the tach (higher) but that's it. I get the better tables/performance at the pedal but can't tell if the exhaust valve is actually working or not? I really can't hear any discernable difference in Sport or non-Sport modes in the exhaust note.

Any ideas or similar issues?

How can I tell if the valve is working? (just checked the vaccuum hose at the muffler and it is attached).

Secondarily....can I simply do something to keep the valve open all the time?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Just pull and seal the hose, that will open the exhaust permanently.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, thx! Wasn't sure if neutral was open or closed.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But, how might I determine if it is functioning properly?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I really can't hear any discernable difference in Sport or non-Sport modes in the exhaust note.
It's not working then... I can really tell the difference straight away on mine... even idling.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The sport button does not only switch the exhaust, it switches something in the (stock) intake also. This is what you hear as "clicking sound". One does not hear the exhaust valve "clicking". It's just getting louder. If you're unsure, let somebody stand behind the car and listen while you're switching.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
There are two vacuum solenoids, one switches the intake, the other the exhaust.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, so maybe the intake one in non op.? More playing this weekend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On my 2014 NA, I get something between a click and a thud specifically for the exhaust valve, not just the intake valve.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Same here. Additionally, if you are in a garage or other enclosed area and rev the car while stationary, the valve opening and closing is quite audible.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turned out that in my case the service tech had dislodged the intake vac line. Once reconnected all was fine. And yes, I can hear both activate too.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Grey
975 Posts
I know on the stock exhaust the valve is pointed in a different direction than on my Larini, but perhaps you can still see the side of the valve without any disassembly. After changing out my exhaust, I threw on the Larini supplied vacuum line and covered it with heat shield tape. There was the noticeable click when the valve actuated. A little while later, I noticed I couldn't hear that anymore. I turned on my car, then looked at my valve, hit the sport button and checked again. Nothing moved anymore because my heat shield tape failed and the silicone hose melted. I spent a good little while replacing the damaged hose and got the valve working again. Now that I've paid such close attention to the valve, I've discovered that when the hose was bad, the exhaust was always in sport mode and when it was fixed, it actuated the valve right away after starting the car for non sport mode.

If your valve isn't working, you're always in sport mode. Check to see if you can see the valve position change between the two modes (there's a rectangular cut out in the diffuser that might help you see if you can't see from the grills in the back).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts