The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is currently the only picture I have due to it being so dark outside.. So basically as you can see.. It kind've split into two. Theres a major crack along side of it aswell.

It's all fiberglass so I hope it's easily repairable through some shop.. [I've never messed with fiberglass so I have no knowledge what so ever]

STORY TIME:
In the GREAT City of New Orleans.. We have construction EVERYWHERE! And alot of One Ways. I was stuck on this one way, which had one lane, and one hole. [About 5-6" Deep], on the right of that hole was a border, and on the left of the lane was a curb.

Which meant.. I had to either go through it, or halt my car and block the many cars behind me.. Which I was stupid, and drove slowly into it, heard and felt every single... ugh don't make me relive this!! :(

ANYWAY IS IT SALVAGEABLE?! Or should I just order another one

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Its a splitter, in the Lotus world its sacrificial like Hoosiers etc......

Sure you can fix it, find the right fiberglass person. You will most likely need new star guard on it but find the right shop and it will be okay. That's minor stuff.

Or its an excuse to purchase that new CF one you had your eye on!

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I had my CF-splitter on my car for maybe two weeks before I had my first oh-sh§$ moment. Not nearly as bad as yours. Just the lower edge was scraped slighty in one spot.

After that I ordered some edge protection like this:

kantenschutz-kunststoffprofil-mit-metalleinlage_z1.jpg

Fits like a glove and should work as a sacrificial device on first contact.
It is not going to help at higher speed impacts, but it should give me some protection at low speeds (enough time to stop before more damage happens) at driveways and such.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Looks like a Lowtush splitter.... so probably cheaper to replace than repair. Black duct tape works pretty well until the new one arrives.

I hit an armadillo on the way to the track the other day with the exact same splitter. I think that is why they call it a "splitter", because of the road kill:). It was like running over a bag of bones that left a streak down the bottom of my car from front to back. A little duct tape, back on track.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sorry off topic....

What is up with the Armadillo attacks on the way to tracks? I was on my way to Sebring and had an Armadillo kamakazi into my front clam. Took out my spliitter, clam lip, grill, and aluminum panel under the clam. :mad::mad:

Little bastard and his armoured shell!!!

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
It's really hard to tell from that poor photo whether it is worth repairing...

Two seasons ago I crunched my beautiful CF Forcedfed splitter, leaving spider cracks in the front middle section. I repaired it by applying a healthy amount of two-part epoxy (PC.7 that comes in cans) to the reverse side and a smaller amount of the same stuff to cover/fill the cracks on the front side. I finish sanded the front and then masked off the center section of the splitter for painting with black Plastidip.

The refinished CF splitter has a "custom" looking black plastidip center section about 18" wide that looks like it was meant to be there and it is now reinforced and stronger than factory-made.

I also use the trim pieces that Mr. C posted... That stuff has saved my bacon several times when I had lighter brushes with concrete, and it looks good too.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Where'd you guys get the trim pieces from (the Mr C ones). My German is nein!

I was just gonna just door edge molding stuff, but that stuff looks cooler and well, more German! :)

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Where'd you guys get the trim pieces from (the Mr C ones). My German is nein!

I was just gonna just door edge molding stuff, but that stuff looks cooler and well, more German! :)
I just used the shiny black door trim stuff. Works great.

Use the leftover to trim around your engine hatch opening. Perfect for that too.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
You can get that trim at West Marine.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:
Thanks Gunpilot. Figures that you would be the expert on where to get trim.
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Not sure if you can get this in the US, but here are the dimensions of the stuff I used, which fits perfectly over the edge of the splitter:

$T2eC16Z,!)!FIdTF7gDTBS(hnPTTRQ~~60_12.JPG
$T2eC16JHJHUFFfmPMoZUBRkmHglWlw~~60_57.jpg

It is for a sheet thickness of 1 to 2 mm, has a metal core for better clamping and higher form stability and sells for a relatively reasonable price on ebay.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
This just got me thinking....
Maybe Lowtush should sell that stuff as an upgrade option for his splitters.
I guess most ebay vendors wouldn't ship to the US, but it would be very easy for me to order a couple hundred yards and ship it to Lowtush...:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's a link to the flexible edge trim on Amazon. It looks like the same stuff Mr. C gets in Germany.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Black-Small-0-375-Height-0-039/dp/B00BFRX7H0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389745913&sr=8-1&keywords=Edge+Trim+Black+Small+0.375%22+U+Height+X+0.039%22+-+0.093%22+Grip+Range[/ame]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine also suffered a big hit, pieces went flying, but quite repairable. Glass work is easy.
Plan on making a mold to have a spare or two on hand when it happens again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts