The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had a clear-bra or any such product on the NSX or the S2000 and have had minimal chippping over the years. Is Lotus paint unusually soft or brittle? Looks like everyone's getting Star-Shield, any regrets either way? Thanks

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I had a lot of damage to my Starshield from rocks to the areas in front of the rear wheels. I had the film replaced and to my surprise, under the film, the paint was fine.

Worth it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It is tremendously important for this car. Not only will you buy it now, you will be replacing it every few years. Without the protection, expect rock damage from behind the front wheels to the back wheel arches. It is important.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Definitely worth it, my starshield is taking a LOT of damage on the sides of the car from rocks getting kicked up by the front tires.

However, make sure you look your starshield over very well when taking delivery of the car... there are some flaws in mine (including a nice black fingerprint underneath the starshield on the front of my car).

·
Registered
387 Posts
The only caveat I would add is this: I had an X-Pel clearbra installed locally. For just a little more money ($200), I go a lot more coverage than the Lotus option, and the headlights. And it was done right in front of me, the paint was prepped properly, and I chose the installer. We have heard about a lot of quality issues with the port installs. So if you have the time, I'd get it done locally rather than order the Starshield. Steve

·
Registered
513 Posts
If I recall correctly, you can get the x-pel bra done for somewhere around $700, with better coverage and none of the dirt, fingerprints and brown spots that are showing up on the starshield.

I would say you do need a clearbra, regardless if it's starshield, xpel, etc.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Everyone says it's the sides that need it most. I hate the idea of basically encasing the car in plastic. A little too much like my grandma's couches. Any actual reason (meaning moreso than any other car) to go with the full setup, or would the rockers and rear fender flares be enough?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good enough for me, thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts