The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello… Everyone!
My name is Justin Hill. I’m a new member. I teach golf on the PGA Tour. I have read a lot of blogs… I have had lots of sports car in my life and I’m in love with the Lotus Elise. I really really really would love to get one soon. I had a 79 P-911 Turbo and loved it when it wasn’t in the shop. I had a 305z and i had no problems... I need a real good tip about a 05 or 06 Elise? Thanks for your help! I don't want buy problem car...

Thanks. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
search search search. :)

Toyota > Nissan > Porsche (reliability scale)

Lots of ankle-biter stuff but the motor and trans are pretty solid since they're Toyota.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I teach golf on the PGA Tour.
For what it's worth, golf clubs won't fit in the boot of the Elise - at least not if you don't wiggle them in one at a time, and then I'm still not sure they would fit... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It's also a matter of what condition the car is. hopefully the used car you look at will not have been beat to death by the previous owner. If the car has been well taken care of, as most of the owners here do, then you should have nothing to worry about. Some of the early 05's had to have steering racks replaced and there was a shifter recall as well, which by now should have been addressed. Aside from those two items the cars should be a good purchase.
Good luck, research any prospective purchase carefully, and if you make it to the Lotus fold, enjoy the ride!
It would also be beneficial to have a local Lotus dealer check out any car youi may be considering.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For what it's worth, golf clubs won't fit in the boot of the Elise - at least not if you don't wiggle them in one at a time, and then I'm still not sure they would fit... :shrug:

Boy thats funny... I said i teach golf on tour... So no clubs bro.. It will just be a toy. Maybe I'll take it to some events.

thanks for your help.. -poke-

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's also a matter of what condition the car is. hopefully the used car you look at will not have been beat to death by the previous owner. If the car has been well taken care of, as most of the owners here do, then you should have nothing to worry about. Some of the early 05's had to have steering racks replaced and there was a shifter recall as well, which by now should have been addressed. Aside from those two items the cars should be a good purchase.
Good luck, research any prospective purchase carefully, and if you make it to the Lotus fold, enjoy the ride!
It would also be beneficial to have a local Lotus dealer check out any car youi may be considering.

Thanks... I read a blog DD driver... My lord did that boy has had problems. I know every car has some problems...i understand. what year do you have? tell me about your car? any problems? :wave: :popcorn:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
just got an 05 and aside from small warranty issues, I am thoroughly enjoying my Lotus experience as a daily driver.

go test drive it. you will know right away if it is for you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
just got an 05 and aside from small warranty issues, I am thoroughly enjoying my Lotus experience as a daily driver.

go test drive it. you will know right away if it is for you.

I did and loved it... I've got to say wow... I just don't want to be in the shop like my 911 turbo... Money went faster then i could drive it. It sucked. what issues did you have? whats the miles on your car? can you give my more info?

·
Registered
350 Posts
This car does not have a turbo spooling up to 100,000 rpms. just a toyota 1.8 4. changing the oil is the only expense. Clubs fit nicely in the passanger seat.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I have an '05. I bought it new and have had it for over four years. It's a daily driver and my only car. I had a few of the early issues such as the shifter recall, oil cooler leak and a few niggling problems fixed under warranty. The car has never been out of service over night and, other than routine scheduled maintenance, has not been to the dealer for service in the last two - three years (I can't even remember when it last was).

If minor things like a rattle here or there, or a buzzing sound at certain speeds or RPMs bothers you, though, you may find it difficult to live with. It is not a Porsche or Nissan. Think of it as a motorcycle with training wheels and an umbrella for a top. If the thought of that makes you grin...go buy one. If not, really think about it.

Edit: I just noticed you are in Little Rock. I suppose your nearest dealer may be hours away. You need to consider the ramifications of that, as well.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
the headlamp covers need to be warrantied (common for the 05 in sunny climate)
the front clam is also being replaced due to a VERY rare defect (extremely rare)
the radiator is also being warrantied (also rare)
the resistor pack for the HVAC is being warrantied (common for all 05)
the alignment was off when I drove it home - they're going to fix this for me gratis
it had 12,400 miles on it when I bought it on 12/30 - I have 15000+ miles on it now

they are going to repair all of it at once when they get the parts which should be soon.

I re-read what I wrote just now and it seemed like a lot - but after evaluating it all in the scheme of everything, I don't think it's bad at all. I had worse luck with my wife's Acura.

my biggest complaint about the car is that I didn't get it sooner.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have an '05. I bought it new and have had it for over four years. It's a daily driver and my only car. I had a few of the early issues such as the shifter recall, oil cooler leak and a few niggling problems fixed under warranty. The car has never been out of service over night and, other than routine scheduled maintenance, has not been to the dealer for service in the last two - three years (I can't even remember when it last was).

If minor things like a rattle here or there, or a buzzing sound at certain speeds or RPMs bothers you, though, you may find it difficult to live with. It is not a Porsche or Nissan. Think of it as a motorcycle with training wheels and an umbrella for a top. If the thought of that makes you grin...go buy one. If not, really think about it.

Edit: I just noticed you are in Little Rock. I suppose your nearest dealer may be hours away. You need to consider the ramifications of that, as well.

I just moved here 2-weeks ago. I moved from Texas. It’s a very nice area. Lots of trees and fun roads to drive on. Dallas has a dealer (Overseas Moters) I'm in Dallas all the time and Little Rock has a guy that works on Lotus. I asked someone. I would really like to talk to you about your car... here's my email [email protected] can you email me you number and can i call you?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This car does not have a turbo spooling up to 100,000 rpms. just a toyota 1.8 4. changing the oil is the only expense. Clubs fit nicely in the passanger seat.

I like your heading (911 Eater) Thats funny!

I do have the specs on all (Elise, Elise SC, Exige S and 240... So i understand. its horsepower to weight. The numbers look very good. I'm not going to track it... Just drive it around town and maybe to a tour event. TX, AR, maybe others... I have been looking a 05 & 06 Elise. The price is right. :D

PS. I was thinking the samething about the golf clubs... I just wanted a fun car without all the problems.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
there was a thread on this a few weeks ago and the consensus was the '05 seem to be the most reliable - or equal to any other year. the factor is really how the car is treated and taken care of, and of course the odd ball lemon cars that allways happen here and there (my BMW was most problematic car i have ever owned)

also - a car that gets tracked will be better maintained if it gets tech'd and maintained to a higher standard. so that can be a plus.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there was a thread on this a few weeks ago and the consensus was the '05 seem to be the most reliable - or equal to any other year. the factor is really how the car is treated and taken care of, and of course the odd ball lemon cars that allways happen here and there (my BMW was most problematic car i have ever owned)

also - a car that gets tracked will be better maintained if it gets tech'd and maintained to a higher standard. so that can be a plus.

I really didn't know that... But that's nice to know!! That could be a plus... Thanks for you help... I'll look in to that.. great idea:coolnana:

·
Registered
821 Posts
If you haven't read the uber post eight times, do that! it's good at answering questions you didn't even realize you had.

one thing to remember is this car attracts attention. I like the insane attention 90% of the time.

If your going to drive it from AK to TX you want an 05 as its the only one u can add cruise control to...(I'd hate to drive that long w/o cruise, but I'm "lazy")

My other car is a "dreaded 2003" 350z. so I can relate to you in that aspect. My Z has given me no problems to date...been a perfect car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
If you haven't read the uber post eight times, do that! it's good at answering questions you didn't even realize you had.

one thing to remember is this car attracts attention. I like the insane attention 90% of the time.

If your going to drive it from AK to TX you want an 05 as its the only one u can add cruise control to...(I'd hate to drive that long w/o cruise, but I'm "lazy")

My other car is a "dreaded 2003" 350z. so I can relate to you in that aspect. My Z has given me no problems to date...been a perfect car.

I have some pictures up on my web page... You should take a look. MySpace.com - Justin Hill, Tour Instructor. - 33 - Male - Lindale , Texas - www.myspace.com/jhpgatour

You have to go under pics on the page.

Red 06 350Z.. I had 2 cars. Now I have Acura TL S. 08... Super fast car.:shift: I got that car because i have a new son. and a new Honda Civic 09... that my wife drives to work. really good cars with no problems. I just ready for my sports car. Midland TX... I go to the Nationwide event every day... I really like that event. Windy! but fun

PS... uber post can you send me a link to that site... I would really like to read it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f221/uberpost-read-here-there-information-uberthread-25131/

yeah, its ridiculously windy here.

My 350z is a red 03 5AT

that's a purty Elise your looking at! But you look silly with flip flops and dress pants. BTW don't drive the elise in flip flops. its just wrong. I'm not sure why, but it is.

here's a pic of my cars - shameless plug. I'm bad like that (note the elise is right after I got it home, before I cleaned it up)

I have some pictures up on my web page... You should take a look. MySpace.com - Justin Hill, Tour Instructor. - 33 - Male - Lindale , Texas - www.myspace.com/jhpgatour

You have to go under pics on the page.

Red 06 350Z.. I had 2 cars. Now I have Acura TL S. 08... Super fast car.:shift: I got that car because i have a new son. and a new Honda Civic 09... that my wife drives to work. really good cars with no problems. I just ready for my sports car. Midland TX... I go to the Nationwide event every day... I really like that event. Windy! but fun

PS... uber post can you send me a link to that site... I would really like to read it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts