The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I love the elise and I was looking at the s3 but I heard of them coming out with a s4 with 300hp turbo 2.0 engine any feedback will be very appreciated thanks

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Sure, which will then equal around 192hp on a 2ZZ S2 Elise due to all the weight they need to add for certification reasons.
Ask any S1 owner about the S2 Elise ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Given the Elise has always been known for having relatively modest power outputs, giving it a madcap engine like that doesn't seem incredibly likely.

Unless something massive changes I would guess they'll stick with Toyota power - so see what's in the Toyota line-up. It's got to be a four pot again I'd guess.

Did you guys ever get the Opel Speedster? That had a 2.0l turbo GM unit in it, could get 300bhp out of that. It was basically an S2 Elise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The rumour is that the elise / exige is coming back to NA in late 2019 as a 2020. I have not heard anything at all on the specs for either car but assume that it will not be a specific spec for the NA market.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Given the Elise has always been known for having relatively modest power outputs, giving it a madcap engine like that doesn't seem incredibly likely.

Unless something massive changes I would guess they'll stick with Toyota power - so see what's in the Toyota line-up. It's got to be a four pot again I'd guess.

Did you guys ever get the Opel Speedster? That had a 2.0l turbo GM unit in it, could get 300bhp out of that. It was basically an S2 Elise.

We didn't get the speedster, but we did get the Opel GT in the form of the Saturn SKY. That LNF engine is pretty sweet, but the OE turbo and fuel system both choke north of 350hp. Plus, it is a relatively expensive engine until DI parts get cheaper, so I am fine with staying with low pressure injectors

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Assuming Lotus stick with Toyota drivetrains (not a given) I note that theres Lexus have an IS200t now, with a 2 litre, 4 cylinder engine...
Unless you end up with a D4-S out of the GT86/FRS/BRZ.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It would be next to impossible to predict what will be happening at lotus next year... so forget about predicting 2020.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
When they do play this card it will very likely determine the future for Lotus. The Elige saved them once before, and put the green and yellow roundel in the garage for most of you reading this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Doubt it's gonna happen. If it does, it will weigh a lot more due to the safety standards. In 2020, there will be even more safety standards for new cars. It'll probably weigh 3000 lbs like the Evora.

The Elise also didn't sell that well when it was brand new in North America.

I don't see why Lotus would try to bring it back to NA.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Doubt it's gonna happen. If it does, it will weigh a lot more due to the safety standards. In 2020, there will be even more safety standards for new cars. It'll probably weigh 3000 lbs like the Evora.

The Elise also didn't sell that well when it was brand new in North America.

I don't see why Lotus would try to bring it back to NA.
The Alfa 4C (which has similar dimensions and follows the same philosophy as the Elise) weighs about 2400lbs stock in the US. Assuming that safety regulations become even more strict, even adding 300 lbs isn't necessarily a lightweight-car proposition killer.

Their ability to actually sell the cars is another topic altogether.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts