The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So we ain't gonna get another elise in 2020 yall thinking? I just wanted to know before I make a over and get a s3 I would hate for a new one to come out esp if your paying good money for one and pop another. If they stopped there I wouldn't be mad we all know how good they all are and what can be done to them they are all timeless no matter the year I'm just mad we didn't get the cup 250 smh my fav car

·
Registered
404 Posts
That looks amazing, but 2020 is far enough out in the land of Lotus that the company could change ownership twice by then and recover from the brink of bankruptcy 8 times. That 2020 is being proposed 4 years in advance tells me Elise and Exige owners probably don't have to worry about depreciation for a very long time. If they aim for 2020 it'll probably be 2025 before they even announce the car, much less deliver them.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
That looks amazing, but 2020 is far enough out in the land of Lotus that the company could change ownership twice by then and recover from the brink of bankruptcy 8 times. That 2020 is being proposed 4 years in advance tells me Elise and Exige owners probably don't have to worry about depreciation for a very long time. If they aim for 2020 it'll probably be 2025 before they even announce the car, much less deliver them.
rotfl

I couldn't have said it any better.

·
Premium Member
11,687 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
I hope Lotus put in the flat 4 engine from Scion FR-S (Toyota/Subaru joint venture). And if Lotus can keep it 900 kg, it would be a winner for the company. I will have to think twice about getting a McLaren for my next addition.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If we're daydreaming i'm going to throw out that I hope they use the Lexus LFA engine and tranny, keep the weight under 1500lbs with extensive carbon fiber and a sub-$50k price tag...

·
Premium Member
11,687 Posts
More hallucinatory than dreaming.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I hope not.

Seriously, the idea of trying to shoehorn that between the rails and then actually working on it is plenty motivation alone to not try. I saw a Japanese guy had done it, but I guess he was either reallllly bored, sadistic, or both. Just imagine a routine spark plug change...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Less is Better
2,508 Posts
Seriously, the idea of trying to shoehorn that between the rails and then actually working on it is plenty motivation alone to not try. I saw a Japanese guy had done it, but I guess he was either reallllly bored, sadistic, or both. Just imagine a routine spark plug change...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It's pretty easy on a Boxster, actually.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
Hmm... I think it might be time to start saving my pennies so I can get back into a Lotus.

It is great to hear that they may actually spin a profit (I'm sure that the 15% decrease in the value of the GBP recently isn't hurting them either since the majority of their sales are in other currencies) and I hope they can continue that. I also think it is wonderful that they are going to get it cleared for the US which increases their sales base a bit. Hopefully they don't over saturate the market in the first year like they did with the S2 and essentially kill follow-on sales.

Personally, I'm hoping that whatever engine they end up using has a turbo on it from the factory like the Alfa 4C. Better mileage capabilities (emissions too, I assume), more controllable power band, and lots of easy after market potential (not that that is a concern of theirs). I'm sure that there are many who will disagree with me on this but I also hope a flappy paddle box of some sort is available (again like the 4C), even better if it is an actual DCT/PDK/F1 style instead of simply a manually controlled auto-box. I suppose that only time will tell.

·
He's on fire!
3,191 Posts
There was so much "like the 4c" in your post I'm wondering if you already have, or would consider just getting a 4c >:)

Hmm... I think it might be time to start saving my pennies so I can get back into a Lotus.

It is great to hear that they may actually spin a profit (I'm sure that the 15% decrease in the value of the GBP recently isn't hurting them either since the majority of their sales are in other currencies) and I hope they can continue that. I also think it is wonderful that they are going to get it cleared for the US which increases their sales base a bit. Hopefully they don't over saturate the market in the first year like they did with the S2 and essentially kill follow-on sales.

Personally, I'm hoping that whatever engine they end up using has a turbo on it from the factory like the Alfa 4C. Better mileage capabilities (emissions too, I assume), more controllable power band, and lots of easy after market potential (not that that is a concern of theirs). I'm sure that there are many who will disagree with me on this but I also hope a flappy paddle box of some sort is available (again like the 4C), even better if it is an actual DCT/PDK/F1 style instead of simply a manually controlled auto-box. I suppose that only time will tell.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
There was so much "like the 4c" in your post I'm wondering if you already have, or would consider just getting a 4c >:)
I won't lie, a 4C is definitely a contender for my next toy, whenever I can get around to buying another. That said, it was just the car that was on my mind and since it had many of the features I'd like to see, it made sense to bring it up. I loved my Exige and I miss it daily. We sold it because of another opportunity that came up which we could not pass. I like where the design language Lotus has been using is heading and for some reason, I want nothing more than to have another British car, I just find them to have a certain "je ne sais quois" that nothing else I've had (or can afford) carries with it.

I like small, power plants that come boosted from the factory because it is easier and cheaper to get a quick aftermarket power boost via a tune than it is to install an entire turbo or SC system. I like smaller cars and specifically light, small cars, that don't have to rely on brute force to be fast (note I said "have to rely on" meaning if they've got 600+ hp I'd love it but I don't want it to HAVE to have 600+ hp to perform). And as far as transmissions go, my wife could drive a DCT/PDK but not a traditional manual. She has no desire to learn to drive a stick. I want a car that both of us can enjoy even if I am that one that enjoys it more often ;) Also, I've had plenty of stick shifts, I'd like the next car to have flappy paddles. If I want unfettered driver involvement, I'll get on one of the motorcycles.

Lastly, lets be honest for a moment. To sell well in the US, it is going to have to cater to more than just the Lotus purists. The population at large wants amenities like automatic transmissions or at least clutchless shifting, ABS, power-steering, air conditioning, a good stereo, and horsepower & torque. 0-60 times may not be overly important in the grand scheme of a good track car but in the US it is practically THE measure of the value of a sports car.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts