The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on a Porsche board. Classic Cars magazine has dreamed up ten factors in a formula for defining what makes a car a classic. I always thought that age was a factor, but I guess not. As examples for their formula they include the Elise against a Jag, Ferrari, Lambo, and something called a Morris Marina.

The Elise gets low marks for motorsport pedigree and exclusivity (note this is a UK mag doing the ranking). High marks for driving appeal and being good at what it is supposed to do.

See the article at http://www.classiccarsmagazine.co.uk/nav?page=classiccars.specialfeatures.detail&resource=445818

·
Registered
223 Posts
Classic and Sport Cars did an article about the S1 two or three years ago considering it as a future classic. The editor bought one and we saw him on SELOC last year I think.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I wouldn't read too much into this. A Morris Marina had as much style as a bath tub. It was a big seller in the UK during the 70's. Popular as a family car and a fleet car. It was the equivalent of a Pacer or a Pinto:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think it's a shoe-in.

look at the Datsun 510... it's of... whateverthepoliticallycorrecttermoforiginis, plebian, but a classic ,and treasured by people who's parents were too young to remember it new.
m

·
Registered
223 Posts
The S1 is considered as a future classic, for sure.
The Datsun 510 was unknown to me till I saw in a Trans-Am book, I wouldn't mind one:)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
biobaggie said:
I wouldn't read too much into this. A Morris Marina had as much style as a bath tub. It was a big seller in the UK during the 70's. Popular as a family car and a fleet car. It was the equivalent of a Pacer or a Pinto:D :D :D :D
Probably why it didn't score so hot (mostly 1's and 0's iirc) :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
There was a similarly idiotic article in Automobile magazine last
month: the 100 coolest cars of all time, the winner was the C2
Corvette. Right, the C2 vette is far cooler than a Macleran F1,
Ferrari 250, or an Elise for that matter.:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts