The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...

My first encounter with the Elise was quite a surprise. I love the look of the car and finally had the opportunity to drive one. The local Ferrari dealer had two Elise models and I stopped in to see what the Elise was all about.

The car drove like nothing I've ever driven before. I was amazed. I was surprised when he closed the door and it rattled like a soup can full of pennies. Every crack in the road, every seam and pothole, set the doors to rattling again.

Now, the sales guy told me that all Elises rattle like that, even brand new. I find that a little hard to believe. Is he just making up a story or are the cars really so noisy?

Kevin

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hello everyone...

My first encounter with the Elise was quite a surprise. I love the look of the car and finally had the opportunity to drive one. The local Ferrari dealer had two Elise models and I stopped in to see what the Elise was all about.

The car drove like nothing I've ever driven before. I was amazed. I was surprised when he closed the door and it rattled like a soup can full of pennies. Every crack in the road, every seam and pothole, set the doors to rattling again.

Now, the sales guy told me that all Elises rattle like that, even brand new. I find that a little hard to believe. Is he just making up a story or are the cars really so noisy?

Kevin
Yes, they all are loud and rattle. If you think it is bad right now go and install some aftermarket engine mounts in it and then you'll really get to experience it. :D

That being said, you'll get used to it over time. Just don't plan on listening to much music unless you upgrade the speakers. :p

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Yes. The are small purpose built cars. Question is - was the one you drove a 'touring' car with some extra carpeting? Does a bit for sound deadening. There are many threads on 'quieter Elise'. Some things can be done to quiet it a bit, but it's changing the DNA of the car. These are small, stripped down aluminum chassis cars that hug the road. You will hear a lot.

That being said, it's like living near a train. Within a day, you'll hardly notice it. I actually put a nice stereo in mine that I ALWAYS have on. After 31K miles of driving it over the last 2.5 years, I don't even notice the noise.

My prior daily was a new xdrive BMW X5. I guess I never realize how much the 'silent car' thing bugged me. For my daily, I want quiet and creature comforts, but a bit less of the sterile feeling.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I put dampening in, then swapped to Yokohama S-Drives for comfort wheels. I can actually have a conversation at highway speeds now! Before that... good luck

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is not a luxury car, there is a small price to pay for the light weight and ultimate feel for the road.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The doors on eliges do sound like crap. Especially when the passenger slams the ****ing thing, damn it. The elige is a cheap exotic car. Take it for what it is. Your not going to impress your muscle car friends, your not going to impress your rich friends. Your not going to win any stoplight race. When you put the power down, you realize there is no power. Love it or leave it.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I was surprised when he closed the door and it rattled like a soup can full of pennies. Every crack in the road, every seam and pothole, set the doors to rattling again.
Those are called 'features'.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Oh and don't forget the dash on a hot day, or a cold day. It will rattle too. Now the upside to that is that due to the way the dash is designed its extremely easy to remove. And that's more what the car is about.

Don't forget the owners manual says that water leaks are normal.

The car is a sh#t box rattle can, and if that's your thing you will absolutely love it :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...For my daily, I want quiet and creature comforts, but a bit less of the sterile feeling.
And that's exactly how I feel. I have a daily driver that's a good solid car. And its boring.

I drove both the Touring and non-touring versions of the car. Both seemed equally rattly and noisy on the road. But man...the way the car drives is incredible. I'm still waffling about buying one because of the noise factor but if there's something that can be done about the rattling doors, I'm sold.

Kevin

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The only thing that can be done about 'rattling doors' is you getting used to them. And trust me, you'll get used to them in about a day.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Well the actual lock probably has something to do with it, but the doors themselves have almost no mass.

While I love my car to death for exactly all these issues, there are days that I drive my beater just because I want to listen to some music or enjoy some talk radio. Radio reception, especially AM is terrible.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I think what we are really saying, is that yes you did experience the Elise as it was meant to be experienced. For those of us that have stuck around we did so despite the cars little quarks and most of us take it with a smile.

But if those things really leave a second guessing in the back of your head then I would say just move on. They are really cool for they do offer, but there is a lot they don't offer. We have seen a lot of people buy them and then get buyers remorse within a couple months. It was real bad back in 05-06....cars with 500 miles being sold used.

So don't be afraid to look at stuff like Porsches, Corvettes, or even Miatas. They do offer a lot of things that Lotus can't. But there are a couple key things they don't.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I would say that it all depends on where you live. IF I had all year to drive it - say California or Texas, the issues might add up more. However, when you have to store if from say 11/15-4/15, you DIE to drive it by around New Year's Day.

I miss the hell out of it in the winter!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I have a 2009 Elise.

For highway driving the only rattle I have is the driver side window. It rattles if I have it about halfway down. If it is completely down or completely up there is no rattle.

City driving on rough pavement is another story. There seem to be quite a few rattles.

I think you can probably track down most of the rattles and resolve them. There are lots of threads on Lotus Talk for guidance.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My doors only rattle when the windows need adjustment, but there is plenty of other noisy parts.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I would say that it all depends on where you live. IF I had all year to drive it - say California or Texas, the issues might add up more. However, when you have to store if from say 11/15-4/15, you DIE to drive it by around New Year's Day.

I miss the hell out of it in the winter!
+1. When I have my Elise in Phoenix, AZ, driving on the smooth streets and freeways was like driving a Cadillac. Moving to Los Angeles, you can hear the squeaks from the hard top but I don't think it was too bad (and I had the touring packages).

The Elise or Evora's doors don't close with the "thunk" that you hear with other higher priced cars, but then those doors probably weight more as well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If the window becomes loose, it will rattle really bad. You can tighten them up correctly by adjusting the small screw at the front of the door. Sometimes this comes off the bar on the inside and needs to be put back on. I have small hands and was able to fit my hand inside once the door lock lever is removed to realign the screw with the window thread. It's hard for me to describe, but you can stop it from rattling. Just turning the screw at the front sometimes isn't enough.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts