The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...does the elise SC wing produce significant additional downforce, or is it merely a marketing gimmick to visually distinguish the models?..

...the SC is certainly proving itself useless as a term in lotustalk's search engine, at least... :confused:

·
Registered
205 Posts
well, not significant downforce (20lbs force IIRC) from what I remember reading on a press release from Lotus or a quote from a factory official. go look or search somewhere.

what is interesting to note, that I forgot and overlooked, is that the original Elise had that style rear wingy-thingy as well...go look.

a nod to it perhaps? :shrug:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I heard somewhere it was even the same wing which would be kind of cool...dont know if that is true, but it looks very similar..the wing has really grown on me...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
...gosh that series one looks great from behind - petite and slippery both, very elegant...that's my only real complaint about the two series styling, while it's certainly more aggressive in character it looks too bulky from behind in my eyes, out of balance in that regard...well, that and the ridiculous faux gills to either side of the taillights...

...what i love most about the elise is that it's a purposeful design, everything's there for a reason, yet the demure SC wing adds further bulk to an already ungainly rear end, certainly a touch more weight, and with a mere twenty pounds of downforce i question whether it's another stylistic exercise akin to the faux taillight gills...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
...gosh that series one looks great from behind - petite and slippery both, very elegant...that's my only real complaint about the two series styling, while it's certainly more aggressive in character it looks too bulky from behind in my eyes, out of balance in that regard...well, that and the ridiculous faux gills to either side of the taillights...

...what i love most about the elise is that it's not a poseur car, everything's there for a reason, yet the demure SC wing adds further bulk to an already ungainly rear end, certainly a touch more weight, and with a mere twenty pounds of downforce i question whether it's another stylistic exercise akin to the faux taillight gills...
can I have your phone #?:bow:

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
The original Elise design concept had a smooth round rear end, then they put the model in the wind tunnel and discovered that it needed significant down force on the rear wheels. They added the original Elise lift/lip to the rear end but a wing is probably even better

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
The original Elise design concept had a smooth round rear end, then they put the model in the wind tunnel and discovered that it needed significant down force on the rear wheels. They added the original Elise lift/lip to the rear end but a wing is probably even better
+1

There's no marketing ploy on the rear wing of the S/C Elise as it really is functional however not as much as the Exige but nonetheless, functional.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Does it probably have less aero drag than the Exige, though? That's a benefit.
BM,

It does have less drag than the Exige however, I don't have those specs in front of me and can post them at a later date.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
well, not significant downforce (20lbs force IIRC) from what I remember reading on a press release from Lotus or a quote from a factory official. go look or search somewhere.

what is interesting to note, that I forgot and overlooked, is that the original Elise had that style rear wingy-thingy as well...go look.

a nod to it perhaps? :shrug:
Stupid thing probably weighs 20lb and that is what they are calling "20lb of downforce" I call it mass x gravity. :p They should have put a real wing on there or left it alone IMO. Our Corolla has a better looking wing that probably would produce more downforce if I put it on the Elise.

·
Banned
874 Posts
Lotusforsale claims it's around 5-7 lbs. I think it's around 8-9 lbs. Definitely not 20 lbs.

Really not all that much weight if it's functional. Nobody complains about the extra weight on the Exige for its functional aerodynamic bodywork.
How much of weight does it put on the exige?-poke-

·
Registered
475 Posts
I heard somewhere it was even the same wing which would be kind of cool...dont know if that is true, but it looks very similar..the wing has really grown on me...

This is the 111S not the original 111 that comes whit no wing on rear.

I dislike the SC wing and it is unuseful due to the fact that in front there is nothing to compensate the supposed +downforce...

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I love how people complain about the wing adding a few pounds of unnecessary weight..yet in another thread, I am told the weight savings of the lighter wheels in the SC sport pack (even more significant as it decreased rotational mass by 20 lbs or so) has no effect on acceleration...:wallbang:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I love how people complain about the wing adding a few pounds of unnecessary weight..yet in another thread, I am told the weight savings of the lighter wheels in the SC sport pack (even more significant as it decreased rotational mass by 20 lbs or so) has no effect on acceleration...:wallbang:
or like people that complain about it, but are sportin' around a few extra lb's on their carcass from one too many KrispyKremes/pizza/beer (insert favorite food item here)! rotfl

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
or like people that complain about it, but are sportin' around a few extra lb's on their carcass from one too many KrispyKremes/pizza/beer (insert favorite food item here)! rotfl
...lemonade and black bean tacos!..

...honestly, the weight in itself is probably only five or six pounds and rather trivial outside of a track-oriented strip where every ounce adds up...my critique has more to do with the superfluous nature of the wing, considering that the rear deck lip on the elise already serves the same purpose to more-or-less the same effect...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts