The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'm selling everything...
I might be in this camp, too. If it looks anything like a baby F1, performs anything like an Elise and costs anything under 100k, I might have to find a way to jump in...it's just too promising.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thought I would add this picture to the thread. Does the scale look correct to you guys? I based the size off of the 17" wheels on the F1 and the Rear 17" wheel for the Elise. The fluid body line from front to the rear is remarkably similar.

Picture edited, added an overlap image. Maybe someone with photoshop can scale and do a proper image, lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Does the scale look correct to you guys?
This is great! Two of my all-time favorites.

I recently got a chance to see/sit in a first generation NSX, and couldn't believe how much larger it looked in person, than it does in photographs. Way bigger than an Elise (but then what isn't?)

That interior; so ergonomic, so functional, so cockpit-like, so...90s

·
Less is Better
2,444 Posts
Thought I would add this picture to the thread. Does the scale look correct to you guys? I based the size off of the 17" wheels on the F1 and the Rear 17" wheel for the Elise. The fluid body line from front to the rear is remarkably similar.
The F1 IS small, but not that small. scale by wheelbase instead of wheel size. I suspect you've got the F1 a bit too small in comparison to the Elise.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I happen to have a 2009. Laser blue with biscuit seats. The only one in that color scheme imported in 2009.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The F1 IS small, but not that small. scale by wheelbase instead of wheel size. I suspect you've got the F1 a bit too small in comparison to the Elise.
I think you're right.
This is great! Two of my all-time favorites.

I recently got a chance to see/sit in a first generation NSX, and couldn't believe how much larger it looked in person, than it does in photographs. Way bigger than an Elise (but then what isn't?)

That interior; so ergonomic, so functional, so cockpit-like, so...90s
So I edited the picture. The wheelbase on the F1 is nearly 17" longer than the Elise. So I should be a lot closer than the first image. Thanks for the input!

·
purveyor of lightness
4,081 Posts
All aligned with the front wheel. Almost exact profile :)

We have much less front overhang.

I adjusted each "profile" picture to be the same pixels in width as millimeters (4288mm vs 3785mm) then superimposed and scaled down...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
All aligned with the front wheel. Almost exact profile
Wow. The F1 really isn't that much bigger than the Elise, and yet it packs a V-12, carries three people and holds more luggage. Pretty brilliant packaging.

·
Registered
318 Posts
All aligned with the front wheel. Almost exact profile :)

We have much less front overhang.

I adjusted each "profile" picture to be the same pixels in width as millimeters (4288mm vs 3785mm) then superimposed and scaled down...
Awesome Job! It's remarkable how similar the profile's are. Would you be able to do a front view profile as well? It would be interesting to see the differences.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Wow. The F1 really isn't that much bigger than the Elise, and yet it packs a V-12, carries three people and holds more luggage. Pretty brilliant packaging.
Absolutely! No wonder people usually say the F1 Looks tiny, because it is! The Exige may fit the profile even better due to the hatch back. I believe the Evora is practically the same dimensions as the F1 so that would also be an interesting comparison.

·
Registered
998 Posts
In this month's Road and Track, my favorite writer, Sam Smith compares a McLaren F1 GTR, ex Le Mans racer to a Senna. One of his comments, while justifiably gushing about the F1, is that it is like a "large Elise". Nuff said....

In a comparison funny between two other cars, believe it or not, a first generation Miata is almost exactly, within fractions of an inch, the same overall size as a D Type Jaguar. I remember the first time I saw a Miata in person, I thought "That thing is HUGE!". I was expecting Elan size. But, those Jags were really pretty small for such successful top class cars in that era.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,256 Posts
I had a Fiero...no, not a Lotus at any income level. Not even a soup kitchen Lotus.

A "poor man's 'back in the day' Lotus" might have been a Fiat X19 or an early gen Miata.
I am glad to see that GM has brought the Fiero back with a revised nameplate for 2020 now that Pontiac is defunct!

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Now post the front view. The M1 is a LOT wider than an Elise. The 'brilliance' of the packaging dims a little when you figure out that they expanded the car laterally to shorten it. Admittedly this helps with polar moment, but means you can't apex a single lane like something small can. OTOH, who is canyon carving in an M1?

41 - 58 of 58 Posts