The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
I get you're being sarcastic but for a company like Toyota or Ford, yeah they could probably build one for $6,000... but when you're dealing with so few numbers and a good bit of hand-assembly, it's going to be difficult to get your costs down

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I get you're being sarcastic but for a company like Toyota or Ford, yeah they could probably build one for $6,000... but when you're dealing with so few numbers and a good bit of hand-assembly, it's going to be difficult to get your costs down

Actually the GM Vauxhal VX220 used a lot of the same parts, including the frame and it wasn't significantly cheaper if I recall.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Joining the comments about how this will probably be the last of the 2000 lb cars, I totally agree. There is no way I would sell my car because I know it is irreplaceable. I'm sure as the years pass the value of these cars will go up. I don't care how high it would get, I will always keep mine. You will never be able to buy a car like this again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Whats so funny about this is there is much more demand for a car like the green hulk car at the end of the video than of the red Elise! "utility vehicle"

·
Registered
548 Posts
The thing with Lotus cars is that it looks exotic, but people don't perceive it as such due to lack of knowledge and lack of marketing.

I mean, the drivetrain out of a Toyota. Do you know how many people come up to me and ask what kind of crazy V8, V10, or V12 engine it has? I tell them it's a 4 cylinder Toyota engine and people tell me I'm lying. I know, they're not car enthusiasts like us and I don't mind having a Toyota engine (I actually would like the Honda engines that UK spec has) since that's what makes this an "affordable" sports car.

Another reason is the practicality of these cars as an everyday sports car. Eliges are already marketed as a "track" car on the street and Evoras were too expensive when compared to others in the same category as an everyday sports car. For the money, speaking strictly MSRP terms, many would choose the known, comfortable, and more stats # driven sports cars such as Porsches, Corvettes, etc. when it comes to buying a car. While an Evora may look exotic, it simply doesn't have the numbers to back it up compared to the competition. The only way Lotus can reel in potential customers is through marketing or making people test drive it to show them that driving a Lotus is whole different experience... but even that is difficult as Lotus dealerships are somewhat rare depending on your location.

I totally agree though... there's no such car out there that drives like an Exige, unless it's a go-kart. I love it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nope. The market sets the prices.
highlow said it best...

everyone wants one and it ruins it for the people like me that cant afford one...
so more power to the people that own and enjoy theres...

BUT when it comes right down to it, its an aluminum go-kart with a paseo motor =)

like Public Enemy said... "don't believe the hype!"

i refuse to pay $40 for $2 cheeseburger, no matter how delicious people tell me it is...

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Depends on whether you're a buyer or a seller.

Like most here, I've watched the 'market' as represented by would-be buyers and sellers here.

If you're in the market, it seems $27K should buy a clean title, low mileage elige of a specific color within 20 minutes of the buyer's home. Especially when the buyer declares "cash in hand." (as an aside, every time I sold one of my cars, the buyer handed me 'cash,'...really mattered not how or where he got it).

If you're selling, the car is uber rare, they aren't making any more (they don't make Yugos or Pintos anymore, either), it's the last 2000 lb car that will ever be made, you've got the rarest color and the bling mods invariably raises your car's value remarkably.

·
Registered
127 Posts
'its a Fn' aluminum go-kart with a paseo motor!'
'they probably made them for $6,000 =) '

Oh yes, as easy as that! No other design is needed.

I remember seeing my first Ferrari F40 as a kid and couldn't believe it had string to open the doors...reminds me of this.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
As this guy ^ exemplifies, the engineering that goes into a car typically isn't valued by consumers. People who care about how many cup holders it has or 87 way adjustable seats just scratch their heads when all they see is an aluminum go kart. If people actually knew what good handling was or even just a "joy factor", more public acceptance would exist

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
127 Posts
As this guy ^ exemplifies, the engineering that goes into a car typically isn't valued by consumers. People who care about how many cup holders it has or 87 way adjustable seats just scratch their heads when all they see is an aluminum go kart. If people actually knew what good handling was or even just a "joy factor", more public acceptance would exist

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Don't think it was even worth explaining....

I would ban all cup holders from cars anyway.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
really comes down to supply and demand.
and the fact that nearly 9 years after I bought my low miles '05 for $35k, that it's worth the same,. is definitely indicative that there's something special about these cars.
- which you really don't see with many other vehicles out there.

It might take some time before these cars start selling for more than original sticker price, but it's nice to know it very well might be heading in that direction (for clean cars at least)

- tho I don't see myself ever selling either, as nothing new out there really has the same appeal.
(maybe if Tesla and Lotus come out with a new low cost roadster? ;) )

21 - 40 of 43 Posts